Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nature Showing Spring

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

My favourite time of the year has arrived, not just what a mega mix of different weather is possible but the beauty of Spring, the bulbs popping up in wonderful vibrant colours, blossom blooming and buds on shrubs and trees, birds getting active singing in a wonderful key, and the bumble bees and ladybirds buzzing around in the warming sunshine.

What are you seeing as Spring arrives?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

enjoying the lighter mornings and longer evenings and being able to get in the garden and start pruning.:drinks:

..its been a long winter ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

My favourite scene in early spring is the hedgerows at the side of the road showing some bright green fresh growth before they burst out into white flowers in May. Even better when its in bright sunlight everything looks so vibrant and new.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The pain from digging on the allotment proves Spring has arrived! :clap::clap:

Daffs are actually nearly over here, but the Hedgerows are turning a lovely shade of green now.

My home grown cauliflower plants are ready to be planted out on the allotment- yup Spring has certainly sprung here!

Posted

Daffs are actually nearly over here, but the Hedgerows are turning a lovely shade of green now.

First ones just opening here.

I've seen reports of swallows in the south the last week, earlier than usual everyone who's seen them says.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Loads of bumblebees here, blackbirds now singing, sparrows collecting nesting material, blackthorn in full blossom - god I love Spring!

Posted

First ones just opening here.

I've seen reports of swallows in the south the last week, earlier than usual everyone who's seen them says.

I saw my first House Martin of the year feeding over the River Tamar in Devon last Sunday. After a long winter it was a welcome sight!

Buzzards also were enjoying the thermals and playing their acrobatic courtship games.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Out on the Estuary today I saw countless Peacock Butterflys, also some common Meadow Butterflies and an Admiral. Loads of bees and unfortunately an early wasp season it would seem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Some trees started to blossom a couple of weeks ago, today my cherry tree started to blossom and I expect tomorrow it will be almost fully blossomed :) Looks like leaves are almost ready to burst out soon as well, give it 1 or 2 weeks and things should start looking more green :) that's the only downside of early warmth in March for me, it still looks a bit like winter with the bare trees

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've mentioned before that I've kept quite detailed phenological records for a variety of plants and trees for the last 25 years or so and, although we've had early Springs in the past, the response of vegetation to the current warmth after a mild February has been exceptional.

The first Cowslip was in flower at 320mts on April 2nd this year and the average length of time between the first flower opening and the Cowslips being in full flower generally is 24 days; this year it took only 9 days, beating last years record by 2 days.

A group of Sycamore trees standing at 350mts have an average date of first breaking into leaf of April 27th, this year the date was April 7th, 6 days earlier than the previous record in 1999.

Thorn trees have been equally responsive with those at around 340mts breaking into leaf on April 5th, the earliest since 1997, and looking green rather than brown by April 8th, 16 days earlier than the 25 year average.

It'll be interesting to see if this forwardness is maintained with the later leafing and flowering species, although much depends on the weather in late April and during May as a late cold spell could negate any early gains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Certain trees are almost in full leaf here now (about 60% of all trees), some trees are admittedly still bare, but its not usually until late April to early May they're at the stage they are now.. I'd say around here at lead leaf growth is about 2 weeks earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

it does seem that everything has come out at once, apart from the trees that don't want to lef right now, but their have to soon as it be time to, this unusual bloom is amazing down here as it is like May already! also remaining very dry.

Posted

The first Lilac flowers opened here today. This is 5 days earlier than the previous earliest on record in 2007 and an amazing 21 days earlier than the average over the last 25 years.

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by AderynCoch, April 20, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by AderynCoch, April 20, 2011 - No reason given

Overall nature is most definitely in bloom (especially the cherry blossoms, which are well ahead of last year), but the most of the daffodils have died already - huges swathes of them, resembling some sort of floral cemetery.<BR><BR>Taken today: <A href="http://img140.imageshack.us/i/dscf0150t.jpg/">http://img140.imageshack.us/i/dscf0150t.jpg/</A><BR><BR>They did come out early this year (February), but this was the scene just ten days ago: <A href="http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dscf0090i.jpg/">http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dscf0090i.jpg/</A><BR><BR>I wonder if the dry spell has got the better of them.

Edited by AderynCoch
Posted

Overall nature is most definitely in bloom (especially the cherry blossoms, which are well ahead of last year), but the most of the daffodils have died already - huges swathes of them, resembling some sort of floral cemetery.

Taken today: http://img140.images.../dscf0150t.jpg/

They did come out early this year (February), but this was the scene just ten days ago: http://img694.images.../dscf0090i.jpg/

I wonder if the dry spell has got the better of them.

Posted

I wonder if the dry spell has got the better of them.

Yes, spring bulbs in general aren't keen on warm dry weather, they flower quickly and die quickly.

Posted

Daffodils generally have had a longer season than they should. Dryness promotes flowers in plants, it doesn't usually kill them, unless it's very severe. I'd say in general they have lasted far longer than they should have done.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The bluebells have been out the best part of a month early down here. A fantastic array over Ditchling Common yesterday.

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by knocker, April 26, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by knocker, April 26, 2011 - No reason given

The bluebells have been out the best part of a month early down here. A fantastic array over Ditchling Common yesterday.

They have been out a while down here as well. Had stroll around the Trevarnos Estate (near Helston) recently and bluebell valley. A couple of pretty poor photos of same.

Edited by weather ship
Posted

The thing that strikes me about Bluebells, is how long they take to come into flower.. they're even slower than florists Hyacinths despite having a similar flowering morphology! Bluebell flowering bed heads must have first shown themselves in mid March here, yet they've only really opened out properly in the last few weeks. The foliage has been growing since late January/February.. extremely slow plant indeed.

Posted

The Ash trees growing at 350 mts in the field at the back of my house are just breaking into leaf. This is 23 days earlier than the average over the past 25 years and the earliest date on record.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nature wise I would say Spring is almost over already. Trees in leaf as they would usually be in early June and the Bluebells are starting to pass, these would also normally stay in flower into June.

Posted

Saw a solitary Swift last Saturday, so they are pretty much on cue, being one of the latest Summer migrants to arrive. Plenty of Swallows since early April, but few House Martins still.

Edited by Tonyh