Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

It's Quite Wet

Posted

Anyone who watched Lambing Live last night, which comes from just 4 miles away, will know how bad the weather was yesterday evening. Added to that, we've already had 21mm of rain since midnight, bringing the monthly total to 69mm, and the yearly total so far to 470mm. This compares to last year's final total of just over 700mm, although last year was admittedly exceptionally dry for here.

Plenty more rain forecast for today, so time to keep an eye on the river...again.

Posted

What a contrast — we could do with some of your rain down here. Last night the rain went all around us, so yet again, nothing, not a single drop!

Posted

Anyone who watched Lambing Live last night, which comes from just 4 miles away, will know how bad the weather was yesterday evening. Added to that, we've already had 21mm of rain since midnight, bringing the monthly total to 69mm, and the yearly total so far to 470mm. This compares to last year's final total of just over 700mm, although last year was admittedly exceptionally dry for here.

Plenty more rain forecast for today, so time to keep an eye on the river...again.

Yep, I watched it OON, and I was was thinking about you at the time :lol:

I must say, the weather looked absolutely wild with that sheet of constant horizontal rain. I thought we had a blustery day, but it was nothing compared with what you folk had.

Posted

Certainly put my Sky + pause and slow-play facility to the test, I can tell you.

:rofl: I assume you're referring to the excellent weather footage?

Posted

I found the programme fascinating, in spite of the weather causing transmission problems. It was good that they explained what the problem was and then showed what it was like outside.

Your comment OON does show how variable rainfall totals are both over short time scales and longer term. I suspect that those of us in drier locations, even when we spend time hiking in the Lakes area, Snowdonia or parts of Scotland, have little appreciation of what day after day of rain and wind is like. A look at the rainfall atlas is not a bad idea from time to time or the Met O rainfall statistics for the various areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I watched it. And thought of you. In fact there was frequent mention of whether you were watching it too (from around the corner of the barn....) I don't know the amount of rain that's fallen in my area as I don't have a rain gauge but yesterday the bird feeder was half full of water... Last year seemed wet enough to me, but then I do hail from the driest part of the UK. This year however I feel like slitting my wrists. Does it ever stop in the west of Scotland?

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted

Thats a world away from here, we've had just 10.8mm in March and April combined.

Just 81.2mm in 2011 so far aswell.

Posted

Looks another wet night. SW winds often appear to very gusty in the lee of the Howgills/Ashfell in the K/S area perhaps some lee wave influence.

39.2mm so far here this month, 410mm for year so far. 5mm in Bishop Auckland in April to date.

Posted

What a contrast — we could do with some of your rain down here. Last night the rain went all around us, so yet again, nothing, not a single drop!

Yes nothing more than a few spots of drizzly stuff here, Shropshire must be the capital though of avoiding the rain but keeping the cloud.

Edited by conor123

Posted

not enough rain here last night again but i do live in a desert

Yes nothing more than a few spots of drizzly stuff here, Shropshire must be the capital though of avoiding the rain but keeping the cloud.

you are much closer to the atlantic than me and i bet your avrage rainfall is much more than my area

Edited by Anti Boring Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

you are much closer to the atlantic than me and i bet your avrage rainfall is much more than my area

I can guarantee our totals arent much different. We were due a wet day today except its been bone dry all day and last night and much warmer than forecast by some 3 or 4c!!! Weve had about 95mm for the year so far. Exceptionally below average now, especially if April remains very dry.

Posted

I can guarantee our totals arent much different. We were due a wet day today except its been bone dry all day and last night and much warmer than forecast by some 3 or 4c!!! Weve had about 95mm for the year so far. Exceptionally below average now, especially if April remains very dry.

east anglia is the driest place in the uk and where i live is very low ground many places around me like luton northampton and milton keynes get more rain than me, last night was the first time its rained since feb but it wont much anyway

Posted

You don't live in East Anglia....you live in the Midlands! East Anglia is Norfolk and Suffolk....at a push north Essex and Cambridgeshire (less the old Huntingdonshire) could be included...certainly not Bedfordshire!

Anyway, even today illustrates local changes in weather, as in Appleby it's been a dry and, at times, sunny day. When I got home, however, it was low cloud, driving rain and blowing a gale. Lambing Live tonight's not going so well so far!

Posted

Still hardly any rain here. I don't record rainfall quantities but we haven't had any serious rain yet this year

Posted

You don't live in East Anglia....you live in the Midlands! East Anglia is Norfolk and Suffolk....at a push north Essex and Cambridgeshire (less the old Huntingdonshire) could be included...certainly not Bedfordshire!

Anyway, even today illustrates local changes in weather, as in Appleby it's been a dry and, at times, sunny day. When I got home, however, it was low cloud, driving rain and blowing a gale. Lambing Live tonight's not going so well so far!

yes more trouble than last night-fascinating to an ignoramus like me though, it will make me appreciate the next piece of lamb I eat a little more I think

Posted

that is debatable my county is on anglia news some say the south midlands some say the homecounties some say east anglia who right then?

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

that is debatable my county is on anglia news some say the south midlands some say the homecounties some say east anglia who right then?

Those who don't say East Anglia.

Pretty dry in this part of the country I suppose, but obviously it hasn't been very warm (in the grand scheme of things) so evaporation hasn't really been a factor and the lack of rainfall isn't nearly as serious as if it were to occur in peak summer-time. That said, the bird bath is finally starting to dry out (rather earlier than other years) so the strength of the sun & temperatures are beginning to have an effect.

The medium-longer term outlook on the GFS looks decidedly zonal from what I've seen of the last few runs which certainly can't be a bad sign for those hoping for rain. However the west to north-westerly winds on offer probably wouldn't produce anything of particular note in the SE/EA with the tendency for high pressure to our south over the near continent.

Posted

The thing that makes Shropshire, The Wirral and nearby areas seem so banal when it comes to precipitation is that hefty downpours are far less common there than in drier places such as East Anglia and the South East. I'm sure what little rain it receives, it mostly arrives in drizzle, far less heavy than west of the Welsh mountains. And yes, keeping the cloud.

Posted

Me, 1500 years of English history and King Edmund.

On my way to Birmingham this morning, unless I'm lucky enough to break my leg or have a massive heart attack in the next few minutes, and I don't know how much rain we've had overnight, but it looks like another reasonable amount, but then it does look dry for a few days. You never know...I migh actually be able to cut my grass for the first time this year before long.

Posted

Yes this month has started on a notably wet note, quite unusual given on average April is the driest month in the Lake District. Yesterday the river kent was probably at its highest since early february, though levels have quickly fallen today. Despite some dry days ahead, I can see this month turning into a wet one for the NW, whereas the SE could see another dry one.

Back to lambing time, where exactly is the farm located. I was trying to work it out, I thought it was in the south eden valley somewhere near Aisgill railway summit. Indeed they said the railway cuts through there farm and mentioned at its highest point. I know Aisgill summit is the highest point on any active english rail line. I'm now questioning this as you say they are just 4 miles from you, Aisgill summit is much further than this. Also one of the fells shown in the background looked like Wild Boar Fell with the distinct outline of the Howgills behind. I watched it yesterday just to see the december snow again. It looked about 5 inches at its deepest which seems about right, east cumbria recieved some localised heavy falls more so than around here, though I understand places near Brough saw more than 5 inches getting close to a foot in parts, again suggesting the farm is located further southeast nearer the howgills/south eden valley.

Posted

I think I might actually be five miles from the farm, but it's located just next to Kirkby Stephen railway station, between the railway line and the A683 to Sedbergh.

Thanks for the reply. The farm is called ease gill head farm. I guess they were referring to the highest railway station in England this thus being Kirkby Stephen? but maybe not.

The farm is not quite as remote as I thought it may be. The A685 is onl a mile away. The fell in the background looks like wild boar fell which is directly south of the farm, but it may possibly be High Seat.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Posted

It could be either, I suppose, although I have spotted Wild Boar in the films numerous times. The two are actually only 3ft different in height....a useless fact for you..