Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Latest Ice Day On Record

Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the latest ice day on record here when there was a 24 hr max' of -0.2c in 1981 at the start of what turned out to be one of the most remarkable snowfall events at any time of year, let alone late April. The contrast between then and now could hardly be greater.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

How much snow did you get?

A level depth of 60cm by the 26th with some huge drifts, up to 12m deep in some 'favoured' locations.

Posted

A level depth of 60cm by the 26th with some huge drifts, up to 12m deep in some 'favoured' locations.

I can see the smile on your face TM as you recall the event.

I had to drive, via the A6 from Cheshire to Chesterfield that day, well I actually managed it 2 days later as all the roads out of Cheshire were blocked. Incredible scenes as the thaw commenced, 6ft piles of snow by the roadside, higher in places, and 8-10 inches of water running down the roads in blazing sunshine.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I was 2 at the time... but ive heard alot of stories about the snow of April 1981. Very impressive amounts, i found this link which describes just how cold and snowy it was back then http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1981_weather.htm

Posted

The 06z and 18z station plots and temps for the 24th. Widespread snow in the north at 18z with moderate snow at Finningley and Waddington.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

The 06z and 18z station plots and temps for the 24th. Widespread snow in the north at 18z with moderate snow at Finningley and Waddington.

the uuper air ascents for 12z on that day for Aughton(03322) and 03170(Shanwell) are also available on the Wyoming site for anyone interested.

Not found anywhere with full UK surface obs though, Fred?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I can see the smile on your face TM as you recall the event.

I had to drive, via the A6 from Cheshire to Chesterfield that day, well I actually managed it 2 days later as all the roads out of Cheshire were blocked. Incredible scenes as the thaw commenced, 6ft piles of snow by the roadside, higher in places, and 8-10 inches of water running down the roads in blazing sunshine.

I was a student in Carlisle (well supposedly) at the time and can well remember the endless winter in freezing bedsits. My interest in the weather in those days was limited to 'is it warm enough to go and drink cider by the river?'

Posted

the uuper air ascents for 12z on that day for Aughton(03322) and 03170(Shanwell) are also available on the Wyoming site for anyone interested.

Not found anywhere with full UK surface obs though, Fred?

Blimey Aughton and Shanwell, a blast from the past. I was at Aughton for a wee while in the early 80s. It would have been after 81.

I don't know any site with the full surface obs John if that was your question. I have them in a data archive.

EDIT:

To digress slightly regarding the upper air ascents. It was the period when the Office finally introduced the de luxe MK 11 radiosonde that took over ten years to develop. It had fine temp and pressure sesors but was difficult to calibrate; was large and cumbersome and, more to the point, was expensive and not commercially viable. Enter Vaisala stage left and the rest is history.

Edited by weather ship

Yes it was a really fascinating spell of weather when you really don't expect it in late April, ive read on trevor harleys site of a snowstorm in the 1950's in Birmingham in May, i just can't seem to picture a snowstorm in the midlands in May it just doesnt seem possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

12 metres deep. If only i could experience those conditions it would seem like all my christmases had come at once and no kidding a lot of other things i have seen in my life would pale into insignificance. Have you got any pictures of it to upload please?

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

12 metres deep. If only i could experience those conditions it would seem like all my christmases had come at once and no kidding a lot of other things i have seen in my life would pale into insignificance. Have you got any pictures of it to upload please?

this link to UK WW has a couple along with charts for the day

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22230&start=1&posts=10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

this link to UK WW has a couple along with charts for the day

http://www.ukweather...tart=1&posts=10

Thanks John. Unbelivable really. I see the newspapers were overdoing it again though saying it could snow untill June lol. I knew the december cold spell would end just as the Newspapers started tempting fate and saying it would last the whole winter without any support whatsoever from the majority of meteorologists. Still that April snow was pretty remarkable. The latest i have experienced heavy disruptive snow was around 5th march 1987 and about the same time in 1995 although to be fair i have only lived up North recently.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Thanks John.

at the minute I cannot find any more but the link I quoted shows the area most affected so I would search through the local papers on www for those areas they may show something?