Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Space Shuttle Endeavour

Posted

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I would be interested to know just what we will see from the South of the UK?

On April 29th, 2011, the space shuttle Endeavour is scheduled to blast off for the last time, delivering the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer and an ExPRESS Logistics Carrier to the International Space Station.

If you live in the UK you can watch the launch live on NASA TV and a number of other sites on the internet, but that’s not all you can do! You may be able to watch it fly over the UK with your very own eyes about 20 minutes later!

Yes! You can watch the Shuttle fly over the UK roughly 20 minutes after launch (launch time is currently set for 3:47 p.m. EDT – 8:47 p.m. UK Time) if the timing is right and skies are clear. It will be accompanied by its bright orange external fuel tank as it sails across the sky

Posted

As mentioned in another thread:

http://www.heavens-above.com

A few hours after take-off, they'll provide location-specific data. I doubt the 20 minutes line, as it doesn't really match with the normal trajectory the shuttle has to take in order to match up with the ISS.

The fuel tank will not be visible from the UK: that dumps into the sea very quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

As mentioned in another thread:

http://www.heavens-above.com

A few hours after take-off, they'll provide location-specific data. I doubt the 20 minutes line, as it doesn't really match with the normal trajectory the shuttle has to take in order to match up with the ISS.

The fuel tank will not be visible from the UK: that dumps into the sea very quickly.

I remember watching Endeavour fly over here back in 2009 if my memory serves me right. Watched the launch on NASA TV and walked to a high vantage point further up the road. Didnt expect to see anything but around 15-20 mins after launch both shuttle and fuel tank (which was in close proximity and of an orange colour) flew over at quite some speed. Probably took between 30 seconds to 1 minute to cross the sky , going from W to SE as viewed from here. So the 20 mins line is correct

I'd say anywhere up to the scottish highlands will see the shuttle , the further south the higher it will be obviously :drinks:

Here's hoping for a clear night :D

Edited by Calum

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

NASA Latest... Endeavour’s launch has been scrubbed for at least 48 hours because of an issue with Auxiliary Power Unit 1 heaters

Posted

oh for peats sake! :wallbash:

Posted

NASA Latest Depending on weekend APU heater troubleshooting, shuttle Endeavour's earliest launch attempt would be Monday at 2:33 p.m. EDT.

Posted

oh for peats sake! :wallbash:

Perhaps you mean Pete's sake?

Given that the system involved powers the hydraulics - which help bring the shuttle down to land safely - I'd say they were right to postpone it. I've watched in horror as two shuttles burned up because of a lack of caution by the engineers. I've no wish to have to watch seven more astronauts die. Yes, I love watching the shuttle and ISS fly over, but to think that's more important than people's lives, NO.

Posted

Perhaps you mean Pete's sake?

Given that the system involved powers the hydraulics - which help bring the shuttle down to land safely - I'd say they were right to postpone it. I've watched in horror as two shuttles burned up because of a lack of caution by the engineers. I've no wish to have to watch seven more astronauts die. Yes, I love watching the shuttle and ISS fly over, but to think that's more important than people's lives, NO.

aye i meant pete's

and yes they were right to postpone it , my "petes sake" was on the basis i was looking forward to watching the launch and was a bit gutted. :good:

Posted

May 10 launch at the earliest now.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Launch scheduled for 8.56am Eastern (1.56pm BST) , with a poll go-no go for launch at 1.07pm BST.

At the moment weather conditions are looking good , 70% chance of favourable conditions at launch.

Crew are currently suiting up and will be departing to the launch pad soon :)

oh , and also found this , which shows the ground track the shuttle will follow on its first orbit (just after launch)

http://home.tiscali.nl/mysteryship/spaceshuttle/sts134.html

Good Luck Endeavour! :D

Posted

Launch scheduled for 8.56am Eastern (1.56pm BST) , with a poll go-no go for launch at 1.07pm BST.

oh , and also found this , which shows the ground track the shuttle will follow on its first orbit (just after launch)

http://home.tiscali....tle/sts134.html

Good Luck Endeavour! :D

Perfect launch, still plenty to watch and listen at NASA tv http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html.

If you have google earth you can track Endeavour using 'real-time' data supplied from mission control.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/shuttle_google_earth.html

Posted

Shuttle is now 20 hours into the mission and everything is going as planned. It's due to dock with the station tommorow at 6.15am Eastern , which is 11.15am BST.

4 spacewalks are planned on flight days 5 , 7 , 10 and 12 , info will probs be on the NASA website.

:drinks:

Posted

Watch out for a photo-op this Monday when the Soyuz pulls away from the ISS and will be doing a brief "run-around" of the ISS and Endeavour taking images of them both docked together. Something not done in the history of the Space Shuttle program (from space) before.