Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Interesting Satellite Images

knocker

Posted

Kerguelen Island, South Indian Ocean. Image credit: MODIS Rapid Response Team, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center 04/25 at 09 :45 UTC Satellite: Aqua

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Hi WS.

If you like your satellite images you will probably like http://miravi.eo.esa.int/en/ stunning shots of most of the planet. The full UK is only missed out about every 3rd or 4th day :D

When the weather is interesting or very clear I chop the pictures into smaller sizes and use them as my desktop background. I have attached one. It has the sand from Africa to our west. It also shows the sediment in the waters where I live, very relevant to me.

Russ

post-4726-0-77593800-1304415050_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Wow what an image!

Check that out:

wowvo.png

Posted

A combination of cloud, wind and tall islands created a striking pattern over the South Pacific Ocean off the coast of Chile on April 29, 2011. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) flying aboard the Aqua satellite captured this true-color image of two ship-wave-shape clouds induced by Juan Fernandez Islands on that same day.

The cloud pattern is given its name because the ripples in the clouds are reminiscent of the V-shape wakes left behind boats traveling in water. In this case, however, the air is moving around high mountain peaks that are stationary, and the patterns are caused as the air is swept over and around the mountains, causing a ship-wave like pattern on the lee side. The disturbed air rises and falls causing peaks and troughs. Rising air cools, and because the air is moist, clouds form on the peaks. As the air falls, it warms and the clouds dissipate. The formation and dissipation of clouds creates the striking cloudy-and-clear pattern.

The Juan Fernandez Islands are volcanic in origin, rising from lava flows from the Juan Fernandez hotspot a million years ago or more. The islands of Robinson Crusoe and Alejandro Selkirk have very tall peaks (3,005 feet and 4,360 feet, respectively) that are high enough to disrupt clouds, creating several interesting patterns that can be seen from space. In this image, the island of Alejandro Selkirk is on the left and Robinson Crusoe is on the right.

Credit NASA/GSFC, MODIS Rapid Response.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Just being curious Wob. is a Wobbuffet some sort of Croation furry marsupial?

I think Wobbuffet is a Pokemon, I mean, is a creature created by Nintendo.

Click in the photo to see properly the fires.

image05122011_250m.jpg

Fires burning in southeastern Georgia and eastern North Carolina caught the eye of NASA's Aqua satellite on May 9 at 18:35 UTC (2:35 p.m. EDT). The image was captured by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) aboard NASA's Aqua satellite as it passed overhead on that same day. In the image, the fire areas are outlined in red.

A long plume of smoke (top of the image) from the Pains Bay fire in Dare County, NC extends south-southwest over the Atlantic Ocean. According to Inciweb, the fire was likely caused by lightning strikes in the wetlands located on the south side of U.S. Highway 264 just south of Stumpy Point, N.C. That would place the fire between Pains and Parched Corn Bays. The fire had grown to encompass over 15,000 acres by late on May 7 and crossed into the Dare County Range. The Pains Bay Fire is now a multi-jurisdictional fire, managed jointly by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the N.C. Forest Service.

Farther south, the Honey Prairie fire (bottom of image) continues to rage in the Okefenokee Swamp, southeastern Georgia. Thick smoke and ash continued to affect several counties in southeastern Georgia and northeastern Florida. Winds on May 9 when this image was captured had shifted to the southeast, blowing the thick smoke into northeastern Florida, including Jacksonville. According to Inciweb, the fire was burning in an inaccessible portion of the Okefenokee Swamp.

On May 9, Jacksonville.com news reported that the fire had already burned almost 72,000 acres and was less than 1.5 miles from Florida. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's (USFWS) Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge web page reported that water levels in the Okefenokee Swamp are lower now than they were prior to the fires in 2007. As swamps dry out, normally submerged vegetation, organic debris and, in some area, soils rich in peat become exposed to air and become tinder-dry. This process increases the fuel load, which not only allows wildfires to ignite more easily, but also can make fire control more difficult.

http://modis.gsfc.na...date=2011-05-12

Edited by lspluis

Posted

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I know photos of hurricanes are ten-a-penny these days but I still think these are worth a look.

Hurricane Igor dazzled the crew aboard the International Space Station and even earned a nickname after the astronauts gazed straight through the huge storm's eye to see the ocean waters below.

American astronaut Douglas Wheelock and his crewmates peered down at Igor from an observation deck as their outpost sailed 220 miles (354 km) above the storm Tuesday (Sept. 14). Wheelock posted a photo of it on Twitter, where he writes as Astro_Wheels, and dubbed the hurricane "Igor the Terrible." [Astronaut photo: Eye Hurricane Igor.]

In an interview televised on NASA TV that same day, Wheelock said: "We looked right into the eye of Hurricane Igor, which is absolutely fantastic, the view. We could see the water of the Atlantic Ocean right down through the eye, and it was spectacular. It really just takes your breath away ? no words to describe it."

http://www.space.com...ster-storm.html

The thumbnail is a close up.

CREDIT: Astro_Wheels

hurricane-igor-astronaut-photo-100915-02.jpg?1292271255

Edited by weather ship