Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I take it you guys have the first generation of Strike Alerts with the battery cover at the bottom of the machine. I used to get through at least one each season. Often i would order one and the cover would be broke when it arrived.

This year I ordered the new version, this so far seems a lot better design and as yet have had no problems with it despite dropping it and kicking it across a main road!

Ive had mine 6yrs its ok if you cover it with enough tape lol,

Posted

To get you in the mood, this track was massive in 1992 around the same time as the major plumes that year.

bring it on

That brings back some great memories of balmy nights on the beach whilst working with Legion Espanola that summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Excellent NMM 18z once again here for tomorrow night. Here's hoping but for now good night. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

lol maybe the atlantic is only producing high pressure, its down to global warming no doubt ..

I have two pennys stuck on the back of mine,and plenty of selotape, really you cant beat the pocket radio though, i hope that DAB radios dont kill off the A.M./ M.W. Radios,

better buy a batch quick.

I have a Pure Highway in my work van. I will let you know what happens during a storm. I expect it'll chirp though.

I take it you guys have the first generation of Strike Alerts with the battery cover at the bottom of the machine. I used to get through at least one each season. Often i would order one and the cover would be broke when it arrived.

This year I ordered the new version, this so far seems a lot better design and as yet have had no problems with it despite dropping it and kicking it across a main road!

I've had mine for a while now and I got it from Net-Weather. I resorted to soldering a wire from the battery to the metal contact and covering it all with insulation tape.

EDIT:

I've now found my spare battery cover which Paul sent when I ordered it. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Posted

Cheers for that forecast Nick.

We have a large fireworks event occuring here in Peterborough during Saturday night and many people have been wondering what the weather will be like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

To get you in the mood, this track was massive in 1992 around the same time as the major plumes that year.

bring it on

Lets go to a rave :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

miled and humid out there tonight with not much of a breeze now and that lovely damp earth smell that always remineds me of T storms. Still 14.4c. Am liking the look of Nick's forecast. We usually do quite well from these plume setups here.

Posted

Thanks for that Nick. Could be interesting in the next couple of days and it will probably take that that long to assimulate all the charts. At the moment not that far down the road. The METO invent and a couple of others.

Posted

No storms again for me according to the charts when will I get my first!!!?

Still worth keeping an eye on the radar, though, as things can easily change nearer the time. Saturday evening looks promising for my area :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'll be in Derby area tonight and I am hoping in a good place for overnight storms. I'd love to get a chance to et some good lightning shots.

Posted

Is there any chance for me tonight at all? I always thought I had a good chance but reading all of the charts and forecasts don't fill me with confidence, and instead see tomorrow as a much better day. I was looking forward to tonight though, so is there any chance I could see a storm this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I am keeping all fingers & toes crossed for tonight & tomorrow.

There seems to be alot of talk on the Beeb about heavy thundery rain, so it looks like they are expecting storms.

No warning out though on the Met website.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Morning all :gathering:

It's all looking good. Even though GFS doesn't give a lot of cape for me, I am still going with Nick's forecast. The Met Office is still very positive too. :)

All eyes on the radars for the upcoming days it's going to be soo exciting.:)

Is there any chance for me tonight at all? I always thought I had a good chance but reading all of the charts and forecasts don't fill me with confidence, and instead see tomorrow as a much better day. I was looking forward to tonight though, so is there any chance I could see a storm this evening?

Eyes on the radar Johnny, :)

I'm sure you'll see something over the weekend.:)

Posted

Just put a load of charts into the in-depth discussion area but as I see it, North Western France (Brest area) from Lunchtime onwards with a slow move into South West England into the evening. Not sure if it will give us any thunderstorms before we go to bed or if tomorrow evening may be better staying up for!

Posted

Morning all :gathering:

It's all looking good. Even though GFS doesn't give a lot of cape for me, I am still going with Nick's forecast. The Met Office is still very positive too. :)

All eyes on the radars for the upcoming days it's going to be soo exciting.:)

Eyes on the radar Johnny, :)

I'm sure you'll see something over the weekend.:)

Yes, I know, it's just... waiting. :lol: :ph34r:

I'm sure we'll all get something. It's just when. The BBC has the storms hitting me overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Morning all

Cautionally looking forward to this evening, camera is charged, midnight snacks in so prepared for an all nighter :D

Now we just have to see if Thor plays ball hehe

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Interesting that Netweather's own forecast for today has only a 10% storm risk for overnight mainly cloudy with outbreaks of rain

Posted

Carol Kirkwood was doing the weather on the Beeb at 6.45 this morn and gave us an in depth discussion on the approaching Spanish plumbe and what causes it.

I read a post earlier in another thread with a user saying this wasn't a Spanish Plumbe but Miss Kirkwood seems to think it is.

Looks good for my area in the small hours of tomorrow morning.

Ah! Here it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_9476000/9476279.stm

Edited by cartedj

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Today/tomorrow looks to be possible the best for storms so far this year, or am I wrong?? I really do hope I finally get my first storm this weekend though not surer if im too far south/west to see much, but even if I don't atleast we have had some much needed rain! Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone, especially those still waiting to get their 1st this year!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

Ah yes, nice round up by Peter Gibbs! "there could be some spectacular weather around" :yahoo:

Spanish Plume storms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmo1nkwDpVM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Now THAT! is a forecast I can deal with :)

Shame estofex dont think the same..

I must admit- it is very humid today. So fingers crossed for something.