Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Nothing but plain old rain here, and it looks like most of it is much further East than forecast, so much of North West England will miss out for a change. Looks like it's Yorkshire's turn.

But it seems there isn't anything electrical in this band until it passed the Blackpool line. West to East.

Also, like my name change? :p:D xD

Looks like its been too far west to affect me although i dont have access to a lightening radar, im just going on the brightest colours on the met office radar. There is a band on the 2130 frame just to the south but there is no red in it, mainly yellow with a bit of pink in there. If its going to affect me it will have to do it soon me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I've not had chance to look at the radar for a while, but I must say, I'm feeling quite optimistic now. It could be a late night for me. :D

And so you should. You look like getting hammered. :lol:

Posted

drizzly to moderate here too, but no action on the radars - I saw one flash at about half six this morning when I took the dogs for a walk and spent the day at work skywatching!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

+CG lightning in NW England nasty T-storms firing up. 53 strikes per minute @ 21.53

http://www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk/uksferics.html

I think that is stuck at around 2030hrs, I just noticed tried to refresh it and it would not...

Still moderate rain here, radars look promising still though.

Russ.

Posted

Moderate rain again.

Just released it's 'Family Guy' night on BBC3 and it's on until the wee hours. Something to keep me company whilst I watch and wait though I'm wondering whether its worth it. The good stuff seems reserved for NE England now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

What's the latest opinion on tonights action? Am I likely to see embedded storms within a larger band of heavy rain, or individul cells?

Posted

Unlike last night, our current installment looks like its a does what it says on the tin............ Thundery Rain

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi everyone, just wondering whether its worth waiting up here in Stafford for anything tonight. Light rain atm, had a heavy pulse about an hour ago or just under, but thats it so far. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

where in stafford? just looks like rain tonight for here

Posted

Fun night in progress!

Remember though that lightning is very dangerous so stay out of the open.

Fortunately their sound man was ok in the end but you might not be so lucky, so for the love of god be careful.

I have to say..For everybody today has been a massive let down...Torando watches..Serve T-storms...Thunder and hail with this new band?? What went wrong??

Nothing, take such warnings with a pinch of salt at this time of year in particular as most commercial forecasters have been very quick to warn us of these potentials ever since that 1987 incident. There was (and still is) a very low chance for what they said to happen but realistically it will not without several weeks of long hot sunshine followed by a sudden breakdown, without that there simply isn't enough power most of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Unlike last night, our current installment looks like its a does what it says on the tin............ Thudery Rain.

Im starting to think the same, Although. Less thundery south...

There really is some intense rainfall, but simply zero thunder at the moment.

The radar is STILL showing potential and plenty of cells popping up.. There is still time.. Just not sure how much..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

where in stafford? just looks like rain tonight for here

Up at the university. Holding out for another storm, will give it till 12, if nothing by then, I'm hitting bed.

Posted

Last plug of the night from me - if you would like access to the 5 minute radar, 2 minute lightning detector and all the other goodies in nw extra, we have an offer code available until the end of today. Just use the code UKSTORM on the subscription page to access the offers.

These include a 1 year radar sub for £20 (normal price £23.95) and a 6 month lite sub for £21.99 (normal price £25.99), among others :)

https://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/login.pl

Shameless plug from be but the Radar is worth the money alone. :rolleyes:

3 Rumbles for me today. Not sure what may happen tonight. A waiting game (although I suspect more thundery rain rather more than anything)

Posted

I'm getting pretty confident of getting something. It'll be a very late night for me. :whistling:

Your not too far from me - I'm south of you, do you think we're in with a chance?? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Fun night in progress!

Fortunately their sound man was ok in the end but you might not be so lucky, so for the love of god be careful.

Nothing, take such warnings with a pinch of salt at this time of year in particular as most commercial forecasters have been very quick to warn us of these potentials ever since that 1987 incident. There was (and still is) a very low chance for what they said to happen but realistically it will not without several weeks of long hot sunshine followed by a sudden breakdown, without that there simply isn't enough power most of the time.

Reminds me of when i was in mexico, I was out on a beach during a thunderstorm and a palm tree got stuck by lightning a few yards down the beach from me it was soo scary. some very decent lightning that day.

Fun night in progress!

Then why forecast it in the first place if there is such a small window for it ?

Posted

Your not too far from me - I'm south of you, do you think we're in with a chance?? :cc_confused:

We may see a few rumbles. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Posted

*waits patiently in Sheffield* Doubting it very much, I will see anything. Maybe just rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Fun night in progress!

One of the many reasons why electrical storms petrified me as a kid and still give me a mixture of excitement and fear today, especially (as this may be) when at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Erm ... why is everyone getting excited over lots of rain?lol

Because were the NW convective chat club :D