Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted

Beeb just said those in the SE hoping for decent rain will be dissapointed. :(

Ha thats funny, when you think they put out a headline on there Weather section reading 'Spanish Plume for Parched South East' . . . . 2 days later we've barely had a dribble.

But look at the positive, there's practically sod all electrics in that load of rain so I say let the rest of the country go bonkers for steady rain - when the good stuff comes dancing over the channel when Summer starts hopefully it will be our turn then.

Posted

Cold front is moving across Cornwall, and out across Limerick (Ireland) currently, with the occluded front following suite. The trough is more spread-out than I was anticipating beforehand, but once the front kicks in i'm sure the fun and games will begin. Forcing already underway in the English Channel.

Ha thats funny, when you think they put out a headline on there Weather section reading 'Spanish Plume for Parched South East' . . . . 2 days later we've barely had a dribble.

But look at the positive, there's practically sod all electrics in that load of rain so I say let the rest of the country go bonkers for steady rain - when the good stuff comes dancing over the channel when Summer starts hopefully it will be our turn then.

Yes but when we have nice lovely warm weather, and BBQ'S in the gardens with the kids and family in the swimming pool, you'll have a hose pipe ban :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hmm waiting for that cold front thats currently just comming into south wales. could this be the final ingrediant were all waiting for to make this electric?

EDIT - Snap Lynxus :yahoo:

Hopefully, the forcing might just trigger something.....the atmosphere look saturated at the moment, and the warmer air aloft is actually not helping, as W09 explained to me earlier, despite the spanish plume scenario, the warmer air advecting NE is flattening mid-level lapse rates, hence presently the lack of deep convection for our region, the CF is the last chance saloon for the plume to destabilize for us west midlanders, although in saying that, there is always the chance of some convection, and some picturesque cloudscapes from the post frontal airmass...Regarding parts of the UK to east and SE, the upper trough moving SW to NE across the country might yet provide the forcing required to initiate deep convection....One thing I've learnt from today, is that you never stop learning about the weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nice to hear good news for the eastern side for the early hours. Hopefully I'll get woken up if I leave the window open like last night. :)

Posted

Heavy rain in the past 10 mins or so and a rumble of thunder. Near Padstow, Cornwall

Sorry for the double post - ipod playing up

Edited by Erbyskerby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

signs of the cold front approaching in the SW, look at the intensification and activity off the tip of Cornwall.

As the cold front approaches it should transfer energy eastwards, so we may all get in on the action, would be perfect timing at around 2-3am IMHO for eastern parts of the country, SE, EA, East Midlands, Lincs and Yorkshire. As NMM shows some very nice ML cape values with a negative LI, could give a lovely elevated show.

Awww, I'm too tired now Lol :lazy::lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

<br /><br /><br />

Stay up the cold front is coming through we could get something :) !

just so humid out there, very warm, its all action later i think...pouring now though, needed rain or what!

Posted

Nowt here in SE Kent, loving the radar returns for some areas of the UK though! Should be some pretty impressive rainfall totals by the morning

Posted
<br />Nowt here in SE Kent, loving the radar returns for some areas of the UK though! Should be some pretty impressive rainfall totals by the morning<br />
<br /><br /><br />

could be in for a treat later..... haha :S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We have the rain but was expecting more thundery activity for England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Will this cold front move the rain to the south east?

It wont "move" it ( well, maybe slightly ) But where you dont have PPN at the moment may see some behind it.

Once the cold air mixes and pushes the less dense warmer air UP, It may cause some showers / storms whilst pushing Upwards and connecting to the warmer plume air.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Light to moderate rain in Sheffield now moving away. DVD finished off to bed in a minute should be a quiet night.

Posted

Light to moderate rain in Sheffield now moving away. DVD finished off to bed in a minute should be a quiet night.

Really heavy this side of Sheffield!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes, sferics detected, and on the increase through Somerset/Dorset & Wilts....good to see, hopefully your storms will florish! :)

Posted

Heavy rain falling, nohing else happening. No where near as active as last night I still can't stop thinking about it.

There is still time for things to get more interesting tho but it justs shows you, just because there is a high risk of something happening that does not mean it will.

We have had a very intense thunderstorm in the past hour down here. It is raining preety heavy now still. I suspect you will see some thundery outbreaks in the coming hours once the long wave trough moves in. One thing I do notice in the Lake District is how the fells can enhance convection, central and eastern parts of the district often see more intense convection aided by the uplift of cooler air rising over the fells.

This thread is alive tonight and reminds me of the days in winter when we have snow action. Hopefully many more days/evenings like this during this season. I think this summer is going to be a good one for thunder, recent years have seen very little thundery activity, last year was exceptionally quiet.

Posted

We have the rain but was expecting more thundery activity for England.

Cloud tops too low / upper temperatures too warm maybe?

So many factors but I'm a little surprised too at the low amount of electrification given the scale of what is happening, I'm betting on the updrafts being too weak hence the copious amounts of rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

We have had a very intense thunderstorm in the past hour down here. It is raining preety heavy now still. I suspect you will see some thundery outbreaks in the coming hours once the long wave trough moves in. One thing I do notice in the Lake District is how the fells can enhance convection, central and eastern parts of the district often see more intense convection aided by the uplift of cooler air rising over the fells.

This thread is alive tonight and reminds me of the days in winter when we have snow action. Hopefully many more days/evenings like this during this season. I think this summer is going to be a good one for thunder, recent years have seen very little thundery activity, last year was exceptionally quiet.

I can't believe I've missed 2 thundery evenings on the only weekend I'm not over there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yellow warnings issued on meto:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

For heavy rain and thunderstorms

They mention Thunderstorms...

I doubt it now but some action in the SW i believe.