Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted

Thanks Paul. Tender seedlings brought inside again! Looks mighty black your way and coming closer up into these hills.

Hehe, the seedlings are safe!

Not sure if we have had thunder. I think we have, but I am close to the main west coast railway line and the trains thundering past every few minutes don't help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I often wonder if that anaprop over Manchester is the 'Manchester Tower' reflecting signature back to the station, then again there's high buildings in London and other places in the UK that could do the same thing yet don't.

I've got a hunch it's the Winter Hill TV transmitter near Bolton, up on the hills ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

just been watching a cell skirt to the west of me by a few miles. Nothing heard from it but looks very dark. Hopefully a sign of things to come :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

I often wonder if that anaprop over Manchester is the 'Manchester Tower' reflecting signature back to the station, then again there's high buildings in London and other places in the UK that could do the same thing yet don't.

Could it be the Hameldon Hill rainfall radar tower? Nr Accrington.

Grey all round. Just started to rain again. Spitting some 50p size drops now and then. Gusty wind.

No thunder yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Its anaprop C_S..... You'll regularly see that little 'cell' appear on the NW radar north of Manchester...It's a ghost!

oh right, that explains it. It seems to change shape with each radar update, but doesnt move... I thought it was a bit weird. As it would go from green blob to like nuclear white tornadic centre, back to yellow and stuff. I wonder why London isnt full of them? I always thought anaprop was that light blue fuzzy patchy stuff, like fizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just had a look on the BBC website based on all of you are saying you have storms. Not one of those locations says anything about a storm, or rain even. That website couldn't be more wrong.

Posted

Lightning a few miles to the east of here at the moment. It started about 20 mins ago to the north-east, then another cell formed in the wake of the first one. Heading towards Manchester city centre.

This makes four days in succession with thunder here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well that was dissapointment. Just rain

Posted

Just had a look on the BBC website based on all of you are saying you have storms. Not one of those locations says anything about a storm, or rain even. That website couldn't be more wrong.

found it quite ironic at lunchtime that the telly was flicking like crazy and I could hardly here the BBC weather girl due to the thunder and yet she never mentioned storms - just the occassional 'rumble'.

If they're 'occassional rumbles' then bring it on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

hey thanks Coast, this line explains it all too me

"Biological scatterer gives weak echoes over a large surface. These can vary in size with time but not much in intensity."

hence the lightest blue echoes on the radar over lagre areas sometimes (although this is different to what I was seeing up near stockport area)

Posted

oh right, that explains it. It seems to change shape with each radar update, but doesnt move... I thought it was a bit weird. As it would go from green blob to like nuclear white tornadic centre, back to yellow and stuff. I wonder why London isnt full of them? I always thought anaprop was that light blue fuzzy patchy stuff, like fizzle.

Relative who worked on rainfall radar, in the north west region, including the Hameldon Hill data, reckons that blip is caused by that receiver. It's on the fell tops between Accrington and Burnley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Well that was dissapointment. Just rain

Looks like more on the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'm beginning to lose faith in anything exciting happening here. The band of storms and heavy showers over Wales is losing its intensity as it moves east and is also moving north much faster than eastward.

Areas around Stoke seem to be best placed, then north eastward into the far north of Derbyshire, and then Yorkshire.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Looks like more on the way

Lets hope, not sure what effect the pennines will have on those storms moving north east though

Posted

Im sure its getting breezier here.. quite gusty, but still just cumulus in the sky. Lots of cloud though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Will I see anything later?

Hiya,:)

Keep watching the radars,the Netweather Extra radar is realy good you can track the storms moving in on your area.

I'm hoping some of the Welsh stuff moves a little East.:drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

My sister is in Taunton today and has just txt to tell me there is lightning,talk about rub it in lol

Exactly what my daughter did from Cardiff grrrrrrrrrrrr :wallbash::lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

You right jane still not a thing here yet :cray:

still plenty of time stu , CAPE + Li looks good until dusk :)