Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heat Bursts

knocker

Posted

Sometimes known as heat flashes these are a pretty rare phenomenon. These have been well documented in the US and South Africa and are caused by either by a downburst of air from collapsing thunderstorms or from katabatic downsloping of hot air funneled and focussed through mountain valleys.

There are apocryphal reports of incredible heat bursts temperatures: 188F in Abadan, Iran, 158F near Lisbon, and 152F at Antalya, Turkey. The hottest certified heat burst temperature was 110F recorded at Kimberly, South Africa, during the passage of a thunderstorm.

The temperature rose from from 67F at 2100 to 110F at 2105 and then fell back to 67F by 2145.

Posted

Sometimes known as heat flashes these are a pretty rare phenomenon. These have been well documented in the US and South Africa and are caused by either by a downburst of air from collapsing thunderstorms or from katabatic downsloping of hot air funneled and focussed through mountain valleys.

There are apocryphal reports of incredible heat bursts temperatures: 188F in Abadan, Iran, 158F near Lisbon, and 152F at Antalya, Turkey. The hottest certified heat burst temperature was 110F recorded at Kimberly, South Africa, during the passage of a thunderstorm.

The temperature rose from from 67F at 2100 to 110F at 2105 and then fell back to 67F by 2145.

Gosh I've never heard of heat bursts before - 110f must be knocking on 45 celsius not got my calculator. However, this is the not the warmest temp ever recorded in the world - that accolade I believe goes to somewhere in Libya at a staggering 58 celsius.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Gosh I've never heard of heat bursts before - 110f must be knocking on 45 celsius not got my calculator. However, this is the not the warmest temp ever recorded in the world - that accolade I believe goes to somewhere in Libya at a staggering 58 celsius.

Actually that recording has almost certainly been discredited now as the result of a faulty recording instrument. I believe Mr Data had a discussion about it last month, from what I can remember he seemed to conclude that the most reliable record high temperature is the 56.7C at Death Valley, California... But even that may be a little dodgy now, especially considering it's from 1913... I'll see if I can quickly find the discussion.

Ah yes, Mr D says even the Death Valley recording is possibly unreliable: "That reading has been questioned as well also back in 1926." The next highest temperature on record seems to be 54.0°C in Mitraba, Kuwait on June the 15th 2010, which I'd have thought would be a fairly reliable record given how recent it is.

Discussion on the topic can be found mainly on page 3 in this thread: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69184-when-will-the-uk-get-its-first-40-c/page__st__34

I've always found heat bursts an interesting topic, but have never put too much faith in those ridiculously high recordings from the Middle East etc... I suppose it could be possible somehow though.

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

Well this was really about the rapid temperature changes but as I understand it the highest undisputed temperatures yet measured on earth using standard meteorological shelters and thermometers are the four 129F (53.9C) readings from Death Valley: at the Greenland Ranch location on July 20, 1960, and at the Furnace Creek location on July 18, 1998, July 20, 2005, and July 7, 2007. It's possible the Kuwait record may supercede those.

I'll throw in the highest temp. measured in Antarctica (leaving out the South Orkney Islands) which is the 19.8C at the UK base on Signy Island on Jan. 30, 1982.

Now as far as Europe is concerned, well.......must leave that for the time being.

Posted

I've never heard of heat bursts. Do you know if they ever occur in the UK?

Edited by picog

Posted

Here's a recent one which occurred in Adelaide in early 2009:

"On the morning of January 29, an exceptional nocturnal heat event occurred in the northern suburbs of Adelaide around 3 a.m. Strong northwesterly winds mixed hot air aloft to the surface. At RAAF Edinburgh, the temperature rose to 107°F (41.7°C) at 3:04 am. Such an event appears to be without known precedent in southern Australia."

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1188

Posted

Here's a recent one which occurred in Adelaide in early 2009:

"On the morning of January 29, an exceptional nocturnal heat event occurred in the northern suburbs of Adelaide around 3 a.m. Strong northwesterly winds mixed hot air aloft to the surface. At RAAF Edinburgh, the temperature rose to 107°F (41.7°C) at 3:04 am. Such an event appears to be without known precedent in southern Australia."

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1188

I skimmed through your post and only read 'Edinburgh'. Now that temperature really would've been incredible.

• 2 months later...
Posted

. The hottest certified heat burst temperature was 110F recorded at Kimberly, South Africa, during the passage of a thunderstorm.

Stumbled on this by chance in my archives

A letter by F. B. Parkinson of Madibi Mines in Kimberley South Africa

"At 9pm on the 20th September 1911, a thunder cloud approached from the west, bringing with it a squall of wind that caused the temperature to rise in a few minutes to 110F. By 9.45pm, it had fallen again to 67F which I expect the temperature before the squall. I do not think my thermometer responded quick enough to register the highest point but it is safe to say it rose 40F in 5 minutes."

Posted

Stumbled on this by chance in my archives

A letter by F. B. Parkinson of Madibi Mines in Kimberley South Africa

"At 9pm on the 20th September 1911, a thunder cloud approached from the west, bringing with it a squall of wind that caused the temperature to rise in a few minutes to 110F. By 9.45pm, it had fallen again to 67F which I expect the temperature before the squall. I do not think my thermometer responded quick enough to register the highest point but it is safe to say it rose 40F in 5 minutes."

That's interesting Mr D. I must say your archives are a thing of wonder.