Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2012 - Dates And Early Booking Offer

Paul

Posted

Just had a quick look on BA and they have a sale on until the 20th September. Coming in at just under £500. This will be my first tour. Can anyone tell me if this is a good price or should I just wait until after Christmas?

Also I remember someone saying at the BBQ that we must get latest flights possible home to avoid missing a final chase on the last day. Can anyone at Netweather confirm this?

Peace out homies tongue.png

Posted

Just shy of £500 isn't a bad price - about par based on this year's chases but with the rate that prices are going up it could end up as being pretty good. That said, so far in the years we've been doing it the prices have been at their best around xmas time - so it's a punt either way as to whether you go for it or not.

In terms of the final day, the tail end of tour 4 will be a major changeover day with tour 5 based from Denver so the vehicles will be swapped and the team will be taking flights up to Denver ready for the new guests a day later so there won't be an opportunity to chase & any afternoon flight will work. The main thing about the flights is to try and get in on arrival day as early as poss as you may have the chance to chase if anything kicks off locally later.

Posted

Thanks Paul, hate flying but just decided that I gotta get on with it and do something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Any good advice for travel insurance companies? Ian at Netweather said to book my flight around Christmas sale period.

Ask BMC for a quote, they insure all my expeditions including storm chasing in the past. They used to list storm chasing but they don't now but I think they still cover it. Some of my trips have been a damn site more risky than storm chasing.

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Policies.aspx

Posted

Just shy of £500 isn't a bad price - about par based on this year's chases but with the rate that prices are going up it could end up as being pretty good. That said, so far in the years we've been doing it the prices have been at their best around xmas time - so it's a punt either way as to whether you go for it or not.

In terms of the final day, the tail end of tour 4 will be a major changeover day with tour 5 based from Denver so the vehicles will be swapped and the team will be taking flights up to Denver ready for the new guests a day later so there won't be an opportunity to chase & any afternoon flight will work. The main thing about the flights is to try and get in on arrival day as early as poss as you may have the chance to chase if anything kicks off locally later.

Thanks. Think around BBQ time tour 5 had not quite been finalised yet. Did I talk to you on the phone recently Paul about changing my direct debit dates? Any news on this or can I just set up another agreement on the date I want my ££££ to come out of my account?

Posted

No Paul, actually it's fine! Just received notice of a nice job bonus and will be paying the whole lot off in one hit in a couple of months as soon as the money goes into my account.

Thanks anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Don't know if this is of any use but I received an email today regarding American Airlines sale:

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i18n/specialOffers/EBO_LON_2011.jsp%26locale=en_GB?locale=en_GB&mckv=sDvXidhrm_pcrid_6700355047_plid__kword_american%20airlines%20england_

Also I highly recommend skyscanner a flight comparison site for cheap fares:

http://www.skyscanner.net/

The tours sound so good but I don't think my other half would be happy with me disappearing off and leaving him to look after the kidlets and dog lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Not the correct place to post this but here it is. I am currently in Vermont & New Hampshire cape is high up to 2000 just south of me. Dewpoints 69 temps 82. May get something here after midnight and better tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I am not chasing so whatever I get will be the icing on the cake. It is so muggy here went up to the top of Mount mansfield but saw nowt was in thick cloud. 4.6 mile drive up on a dirt road. Janette was worried because was driving blind up the mountain road.. Will stay around here for a few more days.

..THE NORTHEAST...

SOME HEATING/DESTABILIZATION AHEAD OF THE ADVANCING FRONT WILL ALLOW

DEVELOPMENT OF SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS BY EARLY

AFTERNOON...FROM THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION SWWD ALONG THE FRONT.

AS THE UPPER SYSTEM STRENGTHENS HOWEVER...FLOW ALOFT IS FORECAST TO

BECOME MORE SSWLY/MERIDIONAL...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS W OF THE

SURFACE FRONTAL POSITION. THUS...SHEAR ATOP THE WARM SECTOR SHOULD

REMAIN MARGINAL DURING THE AFTERNOON...HINDERING SEVERE POTENTIAL IN

MOST AREAS.

GREATEST POTENTIAL SHOULD EVOLVE FROM THE VT/NH REGION SWWD INTO THE

MID OH VALLEY...WHERE GREATEST SHEAR/CAPE JUXTAPOSITION IS EXPECTED.

ALONG WITH MARGINAL HAIL...LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS WILL BE

POSSIBLE WITH STRONGER CELLS/BANDS OF CONVECTION. THREAT SHOULD

DIMINISH QUICKLY DURING THE EVENING WITH THE ONSET OF DIURNAL

BOUNDARY LAYER STABILIZATION.

Fingers crossed

Tom

Posted

Good luck Northern Monkey - Last proper heat of the year for the NE I reckon, early Autumn and Harsh Winter beckons for them I feel!

Posted

Yes that seems to be on the cards for them. There is a flash warning out for tomorrow and Monday. I am moving just slightly east of here and have convinced Janette to stop in this area one more night. She said that I will have to go buy her more books to read. She is trying to make feel bad. good.gif

It feel so bad its unreal, shucks can't lie convincingly.

by the way love the lighting shots from your Arizona trip

Tom

Posted

have convinced Janette to stop in this area one more night. She said that I will have to go buy her more books to read. She is trying to make feel bad. good.gif

Tom

Tom, go buy the good lady a Kindle whilst your there, solves the reading problem...then you could stay longer clapping.gif

Posted

Well we arrived at the same time as the storm and i loved it . I have not anything to edit with so put a minute on. The air here is so juicy it was 84f and the storm has just added to the moisture.

There are more heading this way. Once they get a touch nearer I might take Janette for a spin.

We are currently in a severe storm watchbox until 11pm tonight EDT

ww0835_radar_big.gif

Bruce

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Tom, go buy the good lady a Kindle whilst your there, solves the reading problem...then you could stay longer clapping.gif

Might suggest that

Tom

Posted

Well we arrived at the same time as the storm and i loved it . I have not anything to edit with so put a minute on. The air here is so juicy it was 84f and the storm has just added to the moisture.

There are more heading this way. Once they get a touch nearer I might take Janette for a spin.

We are currently in a severe storm watchbox until 11pm tonight EDT

Bruce

sweet thats awesome mate :D

Posted

For information only - A wind speed of 231 mph was recorded in this location - None tornadic

ps not easy to go from wet rock to wet rock and film, in flip-flops

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Won't we all be dead in 2012 anyway? lol :p

Posted

Neither a hurricane nor a tropical storm , just a cold front but whatever I am not a snob and love whatever I can get.

This passed whilst I was waiting for a Subway (spicey hot Italian)

post-2466-0-50814900-1315573533_thumb.jp

Tom