Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall Stats May 2011

Posted

March only gave 2.0mm and April only 1.8mm here. A very low total so far for May too, the figure so far can't be higher than 3mm or so. So looking quite possible that the entire Spring could give 10mm or less of rainfall, which would be truly exceptional - though this does depend on what happens towards the end of next week.

Posted

It has been a very dry spring here so far aswell, with only 23.6mm of rain.

March: 5.6mm

April: 5.2mm

May: 12.8mm (to the 20th)

The whole of 2011 has only seen 94.0mm. Amazing when you consider 25th June 2007 had 97.8mm in one day!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Last nights rain just brought 0.6mm to this region. Looking at the forecast for the week ahead they seem to think the rain will stay where it is in the north and west and staying mostly dry in the south and east. Today's "Heavy showers haven't disturbed the Davis rain gauge at all. Looking like record dry Spring is certainly on the cards for us.

Posted

I was in Wasdale last night and the rain was relentless and very heavy setting in late afternoon. Winds were exceptionally strong and it felt like late October - a preety wet and wild night.

Not sure what the rainfall totals have been here this month - but I suspect they are appreciably above average. We have seen many 'rain days' producing moderate totals. The outlook looks preety wet. May will probably end up the wettest of the 3 spring months.

Looking at the rainfall maps for the year so far - a marked NW-SE split is certainly shown. East of the Pennines, NE England has been much drier than Cumbria. I think anyone travelling up to the Lake District from the SE at the moment will be pleased if they like raging waterfalls and lovely spring green colours - this is great growing weather at the moment.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Rainfall for May 2011:

Total for month (to 23rd) 96.3mm

Total for year so far 446.4mm

Wettest day 20.7 day 05

Rain days 15

Posted

A very wet day here - easily recorded more than an inch of the stuff. This is turning into a notably wet May - very dissapointing is has to be said given how good May can be in the Lake District. However, after the dry March and April the rain has done groundwater levels very good thanks to it be of the frontal variety and sustained.

Its amazing how some parts of the Lake District today have recorded three or more times the amount of rainfall parts of the SE have seen for 2 and half months!

Posted

Its amazing how some parts of the Lake District today have recorded three or more times the amount of rainfall parts of the SE have seen for 2 and half months!

Unfortunately the rain faded away yet again today and only recieved 2mm. You mention the SE but from looking at the rainfall stats it seems Herts, Beds, Cambs appear to be the driest areas rather than the SE. I still haven't found one location that has recorded less rainfall than Peterborough so far this year. Some of the drier locations have recorded around 140mm so far this year and yet Peterborough is virtually half that total with only 79mm.

Being one of the driest locations in the UK we are used to much less rainfall than other locations but this is extreme. Like I said the dry conditions during last Dec aren't helping. Our rainfall total for the period between 1st Oct 2010 - 23rd May 2011 is only 148mm.

Posted

81.6mm at my house, but only 70mm at the local station two miles east of here. If I were to take my own reading, that means rainfall has surpassed the May average of 74mm in my town.

Posted
Current data for Douglas - Isle of Man - GB

26 May 2011 14:39:56

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 8.4

Total yesterday 5.4

Total this month 120.6

Total this year 460.2

Posted

28mm of rainfall fell from the showers today, so meaning Cambridge has finally breached the 100mm mark for the year here, over two months later than average!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

70mm here which is close to average, that's 405mm so far this year (dry)

Posted

28mm of rainfall fell from the showers today, so meaning Cambridge has finally breached the 100mm mark for the year here, over two months later than average!

Thats impressive. So far we have missed most of the showers and only recorded 6mm today taking the total to 13mm so far this month and 85mm for this year.

Can't believe OON has recorded more rain this month compared to my total for the year so far.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Wow, you've almost caught up with me this month!

I'd guess I'm at around 30-35mm, including this morning's heavy bursts.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

up until now Ive had 17.4mm of rain this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

14.5mm so far this month, most of that falling from the thundery plume at the start of may and 2.1mm today, mainly dry apart from that.

Posted

Passed the 90mm mark for May a short while ago. Now just over 570mm for the year.

For comparison sake what is your average for May?

I don't know the amounts of rain we have had but I suspect we have passed the 100m mark quite easily - making it a notably wet month. Everything certainly looks alot more healthy than it did this time 4 weeks ago and thanks to relatively cool weather the rain has had time to sink into groundwater levels which should hopefully prevent any serious drought issues this summer. Spring on average is our driest season and I doubt we will see a particularly dry summer up here.

Posted

An interesting news release from the MetOffice today showing the big contrasts in rainfall across the country this Spring:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2011/spring-rainfall-contrast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

32.4mm here so far, most of which fell in the first week. 174.5mm for the year so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

I don't have precise measurements (apart from May) but going on nearby areas so far this spring we've had - March 20mm - April 10 - 12 mm - May - 14mm, so this year is beating last year which the totals were April - 20mm May 22.4mm and March was between 40 - 50mm.

But we have had a very very wet Jan and Feb with totals well over 100mm for both months so we have needed this dry spring but it is starting to turn dusty now and the grass has been yellow since late April.

Edited by Supercell 89