Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall Stats May 2011

Posted

An interesting news release from the MetOffice today showing the big contrasts in rainfall across the country this Spring:

http://www.metoffice...infall-contrast

"The driest region has been East Anglia, where rainfall amounts show that only 17mm of rain has fallen, just 13% of the long term spring average which is 134.9mm." :o

"However, at the opposite of the country, parts of north and west Scotland have had a wet season, with Argyll recording 538.6mm of rain" :blink:

The weather is a varied old thing.

Here according to my Davis VP2 anyway we have had 67mm this Spring, 31mm in May. (including any dew/frost melt) So rather dry.

26.8mm in March

9.2mm in April

31mm this May

Most of Mays total came from a thunderstorm in the evening of the 6th and some heavy rain in the evening of the 7th.

247.8mm for the year with 93.6mm in Jan and 87.0mm in Feb.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

247.8mm for the year with 93.6mm in Jan and 87.0mm in Feb.

Amazing, just goes to show how different two places that aren't that far away from each other can still have a stark contrast in rainfall totals. I recorded a mere (in comparison to you) 39.9mm in Feb.

Posted

Amazing, just goes to show how different two places that aren't that far away from each other can still have a stark contrast in rainfall totals. I recorded a mere (in comparison to you) 39.9mm in Feb.

That is quite some difference there, I can't actually remember that much detail about the month except it was very mild with some wet days.

Apparently we had 20.8mm on the 13th, though I have a suspicion it may slightly over-read in windy conditions when the rain gauge wobbles slightly, not sure if this is the case though. Also not sure how to solve this without moving the unit lower where it might get slightly inflated temp readings from the fence.

Posted

For comparison sake what is your average for May?

Average for Great Asby (so since 2003) has been 64.4mm and only two years (last year and 2003) vary much from that either way. This May, therefore, is considerably above average, although I wouldn't think notably so, with the running total at 96.6mm.....and it's raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

With the month up we ended up a touch on the drier side of average at 39.0mm, about 10mm short of average.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

87mm here, about average.

Posted

May saw 29.0mm of rainfall here in the end, which is 67% of the 1971-2000 average for this site.

March saw 5.6mm and April 5.2mm, so spring was the driest Ive ever recorded on 39.8mm - or 30% of average.

The annual total at the moment stands at just 110.2mm which is exactly 50% of what would be expected so far.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ended up with 104.4mm of rain for the month, which made it the wettest May I've recorded and was 161% of my average for May.

You'll have to stop singing in the bath Oon. Come to think of it can't you do a tour of the SE they need the rain.

Posted

My sister lives near Bury St Edmunds and says her lawn's brown and dusty with cracks in. I came back from holiday yesterday and the lawn was a bit on the long side, so I gave it a cut. Haven't treated it, haven't watered it...the only thing I do is scarify and spike it every spring. Good old rain!

5795529085_77ba64565c_z.jpg

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

May rain here was 164.8mm. About twice the 40yr average. Only 7 days were dry.

3rd wettest May since we started recording at this site in 1968.

Wetter Mays were 2003 and 2006.

Indeed there has been a trend towards wetter Mays here since the mid 1990s.

Might explain why the veg gardening in spring has become more difficult. Chilly, sunless and muddy conditions. Soil slow to warm up after winter.

Posted

May rain here was 164.8mm. About twice the 40yr average. Only 7 days were dry.

3rd wettest May since we started recording at this site in 1968.

Wetter Mays were 2003 and 2006.

Good gracious! Are you quite high up?

Edit - just seen - you are, but lower than me. Down to your location next to higher ground I assume?

Posted

Finished May with 23mm according to the official Peterborough weather station although I don't have the figure for our local weather station yet. I will add that 9mm actually fell on the 29th May.

The average here is 42mm.

The total for Spring is a paltry 29mm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

73.2 mm here in May which is 104% of the 1981-2010 average. Even a slightly above average May couldn't prevent it being the second driest spring on record with 102.4 mm recorded, only 1990 was drier.

Posted

Good gracious! Are you quite high up?

Edit - just seen - you are, but lower than me. Down to your location next to higher ground I assume?

On SW facing upslopes. Fells uphill of here are over 1500ft, one over 1700ft.

Garden soil still wet.

71.5 fell in 3 days, 15-17 May.

Met Office site. Gauge inspected by EA every month. Rain data recorded and matched by a Dines autographic and an EA electronic tipper on same site..

Posted

My sister lives near Bury St Edmunds and says her lawn's brown and dusty with cracks in. I came back from holiday yesterday and the lawn was a bit on the long side, so I gave it a cut. Haven't treated it, haven't watered it...the only thing I do is scarify and spike it every spring. Good old rain!

5795529085_77ba64565c_z.jpg

Here is the lovely green grass in Peterborough!

post-1766-0-22055100-1307214450_thumb.jp