Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland’s Grímsvötn Volcano

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Going by the Ash forecasts the eruption isnt that strong no more. Much of the High concentration and much of the medium concentration is not there on later charts. Not saying the eruption has ended but its probably not far off imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I see Michael O'Leary is kicking up a fuss again. He wants to sue for not being able to fly.

Hey, you already treat passengers like cattle, why not fly them into dangeous conditions as well?

Posted

Going by the Ash forecasts the eruption isnt that strong no more. Much of the High concentration and much of the medium concentration is not there on later charts. Not saying the eruption has ended but its probably not far off imo.

Anyone know whats going on scientifically with the volcano at the moment / has links to places that do. All I get is press coverage with everything being 'oh my god its last year all over again' and I'd rather not deal with their bullcrap at the moment.

Posted

i think we should bet on the next volcano to go off in iceland. i reckon bardabunga

Anyone know whats going on scientifically with the volcano at the moment / has links to places that do. All I get is press coverage with everything being 'oh my god its last year all over again' and I'd rather not deal with their bullcrap at the moment.

iceland met office has lots of info, also 'volcano live' a site run by vulcanologist john seach, is a good one for updates on all volcanic activity

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I see Michael O'Leary is kicking up a fuss again. He wants to sue for not being able to fly.

Hey, you already treat passengers like cattle, why not fly them into dangeous conditions as well?

I think he needs too talk to pilots and passengers that have flown into ash clouds. Apparently the test air craft didn't actually enter the red zone so the guy is being rather misguided.

Profit over safety.

Posted

i think we should bet on the next volcano to go off in iceland. i reckon bardabunga

iceland met office has lots of info, also 'volcano live' a site run by vulcanologist john seach, is a good one for updates on all volcanic activity

Ta thank you =D hopefully I'll get to go to America next week. :unsure:

Posted

The amount of ash does not specifically have anything to do with the eruption event itself. (whether an eruption is occuring or not)

Ash is a bi-product caused by the interaction of the magma with other debris, once the debris is cleared then you have a lava flow only if an eruption is still going. (Grimsvotn has previously had one of the longest lava flows in recorded icelandic history - long eruption with no ash)

Most ash in Icelandic eruptions is caused by the interaction with the glacier shelf.

There is a possibility that a seperate fissure may erupt on the shelf which would create additional ash....

Posted

The amount of ash does not specifically have anything to do with the eruption event itself. (whether an eruption is occuring or not)

Ash is a bi-product caused by the interaction of the magma with other debris, once the debris is cleared then you have a lava flow only if an eruption is still going. (Grimsvotn has previously had one of the longest lava flows in recorded icelandic history - long eruption with no ash)

Most ash in Icelandic eruptions is caused by the interaction with the glacier shelf.

There is a possibility that a seperate fissure may erupt on the shelf which would create additional ash....

very true - it is part of the laki fissure:

Laki (Skaftar Fires) and Grimsvotn eruptions 1783-1785

The eruption at Laki began on 8th June 1783 with a brief explosive event on a short fissure, and lava rapidly began to flow into the Skaftfi river gorge. Lava reached the lowlands, 35 km away, four days later.

Laki eruption created a 25 km long fracture and basalt lava flows extended 70 km. The lava flow covered 565 square km (14.7 cubic km). Large amounts of gas were produced in the eruption which covered most of Europe in a blue haze.

Fluorine was released by the eruption and cattle died from eating the contaminated grass. Over 200 000 livestock were killed in Iceland and the resulting famine resulted in 10 000 deaths.

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

Hi everyone. don't normally post in Summer because I keep an eye on the snow normally, and NW goes into storage for the summer, :lol: but I was watching the start of the eruption on Saturday on a live webcam, and captured these screenshots, which I then made a pretty spectacular gif out of..

Eruption Gif

although it looks awesome, and scary, it actually took the cloud nearly two hours to reach the cam, which is around 40-50 miles from the eruption.

Just thought I'd share with you.

Posted

Hi everyone. don't normally post in Summer because I keep an eye on the snow normally, and NW goes into storage for the summer, :lol: but I was watching the start of the eruption on Saturday on a live webcam, and captured these screenshots, which I then made a pretty spectacular gif out of..

Eruption Gif

although it looks awesome, and scary, it actually took the cloud nearly two hours to reach the cam, which is around 40-50 miles from the eruption.

Just thought I'd share with you.

Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Karyo

Posted

IMF leaders are secretly hoping the whole island blows up.

Unlikely. The drop in profits of various companies would adversely affect the directors' bonuses.

He does seem to resent the idea that passenger safety might outweigh his profits. Has he considered the potential costs (financially because of legal action, or in terms of lives lost) if he ignored the advisories and one of his planes crashed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Met Office Ash forecast maps suggest the eruption has ceased now as of 0200z. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

The Met Office Ash forecast maps suggest the eruption has ceased now as of 0200z. :)

That's sad news for me! I was hoping for some more excitement during the boring summer months! lol

Karyo

Posted

Looks like its a hit and miss affair with flights and airports still being affected.

Cardiff Airport says some of its flights may still be delayed or cancelled on Wednesday due to volcanic ash from Iceland. Normal flights are expected to resume later after several flights were affected on Tuesday. The Civil Aviation Authority has confirmed that the effect on flight schedules will depend on the airline or tour operator operating the service. Passengers are advised to check with their airline or tour operator. UK air traffic control company Nats said harmful concentrations of ash were expected to have dispersed overnight.

However, as the ash cloud heads towards the European mainland Germany's meteorological service said airspace over the country's northern cities, including Bremen and Hamburg, would close from 0400 BST (0500 local time). This has prompted cancellations by some airlines in the UK. On Tuesday Flybe arrivals and departures between Cardiff and Paris, Glasgow and Edinburgh were all cancelled.

Eastern Airways also cancelled flights between Cardiff and Aberdeen. Ash from another Icelandic volcano led to huge disruption to flights in Europe last year. There is also disruption to flights in and out of other UK airports, including Bristol, Liverpool John Lennon and Manchester. The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said ash levels would now be graded as low, medium or high, and airlines would be notified if levels reached medium or high. Airlines would then consider whether to fly, according to risk assessments already carried out, the CAA added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13538348

Eurocontrol latest:

NEXT TELECONFERENCE IS PLANNED AT 08000 UTC ON 25th MAY.

According to the Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) in London, high concentration areas have impacted Northern UK, North sea and is going to impact Scandinavia. Several Notams have been issued by BIRD/ EGTT/ EGPX/ EGGX/ ESOS/ ENOR/ EFES/ EKDK/ EETT regarding temporary restricted/danger areas.

Information to aircraft operators, attached is the current list of countries intentions when impacted by the Volcanic Ash Cloud. Be advised that the Safety Assessment Column applies to the "Airline Operator" This should be read as general guidelines only, and is only current at the time of publication. Due to the increasing number of issued Notams, it is no longer possible for CFMU to keep the NOP portal updated with current Notam numbers.

Germany has issued a Notam A1890/11, where the intension of DFS is described, in case of ash contamination in German airspace. Information can also be found on their website www.dfs.eu

Bremen has closed the northern part of their FIR from GND to FL200 by a RAD restriction EUASHEDWN for the period 0500-1200 UTC. This means that traffic to/from EDDW and EDDH is not allowed and FPLs will be rejected by IFPS. Traffic to/from EDDV via the EDWW north sectors is not allowed (about 5% of the traffic).

Traffic to EDDV from other directions (about 95%) is accepted.

AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO CLOSELY MONITOR ALL RELEVANT NOTAMS, SIGMETS AND THE ASH CONCENTRATION CHARTS ON WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND UPDATES.

Russian Federation airspace: the airspace will continue to be open and no restrictions are planned. The airlines are aware that they are accepting re-routed traffic by FPL. A corresponding remark i.e. re-routed due to volcano ash must be inserted in item 18 of FPL. FPLs must be copied to UUUWZDZX at all times.

Posted

latest forecast from UK Met showing just how many parts are expected to be affected over the next day or so, less for the UK though.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1306302427.png

Posted

Aviation charts also showing coverage and direction for today:

post-6667-0-77686300-1306310755.gif

euwt05006.gif

post-6667-0-77686300-1306310755_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Short but sweet this eruption. Star moments the eruption cloud and a certain somebody at Ryan Air making a pratt of themselves. I suspect airlines will press again for another review and try and get the limits altered again.

Posted

The boredom returns! :(

Oh well, I just hope Katla will follow soon...

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

The boredom returns! :(

Oh well, I just hope Katla will follow soon...

Karyo

may not be over yet, just paused, it went on hold so I can get home (by air) from Germany, I'll take it off hold later today :-)

And as for Katla, be careful what you wish for.....

Posted

majority of icelandic monitoring stations are showing a steady rise in harmonic tremor. nothing spectacular yet, but one to watch...