Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase 2011 - Day 25 Discussion

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some nasty damage scenes in Chickasha, SW of OK City and El Reno to Piedmont in NW suburbs of OK City from wedges that cut a swathe earlier. Some fatalities unfortunately :(

Currently 2 storms across southern Oklahoma SE of Ardmore towards Lake Texahoma that have pronounced hooks - maybe producing tornadoes on the ground right now.

Posted

Also another storm just to the north of Fort Worth that looks suspicious, with two new cells also heading in the general direction of DFW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I made a bad road choice eaarly and missed the wedge phase of the tornado west of watonga. Caught the rope out as it crossed the road a mile in front of me but it unfortunately hit about the only house for a mile and debris blocked the road. Not able to catch up after that. Saw a second tor as the storm sailed away. Heading to Ft Smith to prepare for tomorrow.

Posted

Storm north of me has a nice couplet but it's just way too foresty here so I'm giving it a miss. tor warned cells will be heading in my direction from the South west so I'll have to keep an eye out.

Posted

Been at work all afternoon/evening - so not been able to keep up with developments but some great live footage earlier of the tornado that hit Chickasa from around 12 minutes onwards on this video:

http://www.news9.com/story/14709608/news-9-viewers-send-pictures-of-tornadoes-severe-weather

Posted

Unlucky for today Nathan :(

Got video footage of the birth of the wedge tornado and Paul S has footage of the wedge itself. Also got some great video of an elephant trunk tornado that was simply stunning. Will get uploaded asap :)

Posted

Just spoke to my sister in Plano Dallas, al the sirens are going with instructions to take cover, they have all packed themselves into the bathroom

Posted

Sat in Sallisaw at the moment. Amazing light show, but looking at the radar.... a rough night ahead. Hoping those cells heading right for me don't go tor warned...

Posted

Hoooooolllly Crap it's windy out! They just upgraded the Tstorm warning to 90mph gusts.... I'm not surprised. entire motel is shaking!

Posted

That was intense... must be something spinning up to my south as that was 70mph+ winds from the north. Not outflow winds....

Posted

And there are the tornado warnings. A couplet at 630ft above ground on radar moving north of Fort Smith. That thing went just south of my motel!

Posted

Just 2 Pictures for now - This thing was huge and wanted to get even closer than the 3 Miles we were behind it.

Will write a report up in a mo with raw video footage of all the Tornadoes

post-24-0-87113900-1306300787_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-99242600-1306301368_thumb.jpg

Posted

Found this video of the Longdale OK tornado that NW were chasing earlier:

http://www.news9.com/story/14710353/news-9-viewer-shares-amazing-tornado-video-from-longdale

Scanning news reports, 10-20 deaths in the OKC region apparently, although early reporting, seems like for the strength of the storms, not too catastrophic. Good warnings certainly help with that. DFW metroplex rocked by hail and strong winds, widespread moderate damage. Have not heard much about KS storms yet except reading some damage reports, sounded like large funnels that narrowly missed some towns, scattered house destruction and possibly a few deaths statewide.

Given the potential, I think most will feel that these states escaped a potential major mauling.

Posted

Followed the events last night for several hours and on at least two occasions teh OKC netro area dodged a bullet with large tornadoes on the ground and then lifting and recycling - one skipping over Newcastle and Moore and another lifting just before Norman.

The atmosphere was rich and thick and the were quickly evolving into HP mode so the circulations were often heavily rain-wrapped and interacting with neighbouring cell's ppn shafts so it was all very messy and consequently dangerous.

As Roger says high-profile warnings and media coverage of this seems to have paid-off.

Going back to Joplin, and some very sobering reports are now coming out from chasers who were first on the scene. This year especially we've been reminded that behind the excitement and adrenaline of chasing there's often tragedy and heartbreak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Followed the events last night for several hours and on at least two occasions teh OKC netro area dodged a bullet with large tornadoes on the ground and then lifting and recycling - one skipping over Newcastle and Moore and another lifting just before Norman.

The atmosphere was rich and thick and the were quickly evolving into HP mode so the circulations were often heavily rain-wrapped and interacting with neighbouring cell's ppn shafts so it was all very messy and consequently dangerous.

As Roger says high-profile warnings and media coverage of this seems to have paid-off.

Going back to Joplin, and some very sobering reports are now coming out from chasers who were first on the scene. This year especially we've been reminded that behind the excitement and adrenaline of chasing there's often tragedy and heartbreak.

Not sure whether I dreamt it but I'm sure there was a report on one stream about Goldsby and a possible EF4 ploughing through?

Rob

Posted

Looks like the supercells continued producing tornadoes well after dark as they moved further east, with reports of extensive damage in some communities in NW Arkansas, with a least one fatality there, takes the toll over the three states of OK, KS and AR to at least 8 unfortunately :(

Though could have been alot worse had there not been advanced warnings issued and such good coverage on live TV.

Posted

Not sure whether I dreamt it but I'm sure there was a report on one stream about Goldsby and a possible EF4 ploughing through?

Rob

You're quite right Rob. This was being streamed live by a local news network from their chopper cam. This is the ?EF4 that roped-out just before Norman. In it's short life it managed to take-out parts of the rural community of Goldsby, 'grinding' a damage swathe that included several homes and mobile homes. The chopper crew actually landed to offer assistance at one point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Absolutely epic. It's hard being at work / home watching the live streams, but i'm glad you all had an amazing day.

Did Top Gun - Danger Zone work for you this time ? Or was that track banned :lol: