Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive Weather Solutions... The 2 Week Heatwave That Never Happened!

Posted

Hello weather community!

Just a quick one... what happened to the 2 week heatwave predicted by Positive Weather Solutions?

We were supposed to have a 2 week heatwave from last Saturday, with average temperatures around 29C.

I have emailed Positive Weather Solutions 3 times to ask what went wrong, but funnily enough, they've gone very silent.

I am really annoyed about 'knock off' companies like this... they give meteorologists a bad name.

MC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Not sure, but non of the GFS showed tempratures that warm for this peroid. They aint the only one that gave out the heatwave, what was GMTV said about it too. Where they get these ideas from I have no idea lol

Kain

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Not sure, but non of the GFS showed tempratures that warm for this peroid. They aint the only one that gave out the heatwave, what was GMTV said about it too. Where they get these ideas from I have no idea lol

Kain

GMTV (and other news agencies) most probably got their ideas from PWS's forecast...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

GMTV (and other news agencies) most probably got their ideas from PWS's forecast...

More than likely!

Posted

Hello weather community!

they give meteorologists a bad name.

MC

I question that term applying to the firm you quote especially its front man!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

The biggest problem I have with PWS is that they never explain why they think we will have a record breaking august (last years quote!) and this apparant middle of a heatwave! But it's a problem across the board, I wish the met office would have a more technical bit I'n the website too. Thank god for Netweather!!!

Posted

You get the impression they think 'It's been quite warm/cold/dry/wet for a while so maybe it will continue like that but more so'

I do seem to remember a survey found that if you said the next day or two would be similar to today in any location the accuracy was substantially better than the official forecasts over time.

Posted

I question that term applying to the firm you quote especially its front man!

Indeed... who is Jonathan Powell and is he even qualifed?

Positive Weather Solutions... or rather i should say... Negative Weather Solutions, wont email be back to explain what went wrong.

A heatwave was never on the cards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

And let's remember it was PWS who a few months back said it would be a sunshine and brolly summer and only last week PWS said it would be a hot summer, PWS don't have a clue Netweather is the best online group in my opinion. PWS are that small (5 workers) they just like to see there name quoted in News papers and online. :rolleyes::angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

And let's remember it was PWS who a few months back said it would be a sunshine and brolly summer and only last week PWS said it would be a hot summer, PWS don't have a clue Netweather is the best online group in my opinion. PWS are that small (5 workers) they just like to see there name quoted in News papers and online. :rolleyes::angry:

Are they the firm the Daily Express go to in winter when they want to put up a 'coldest winter since the existence of earth' type headline.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

The biggest problem I have with PWS is that they never explain why they think we will have a record breaking august (last years quote!) and this apparant middle of a heatwave! But it's a problem across the board, I wish the met office would have a more technical bit I'n the website too. Thank god for Netweather!!!

I hope that comment doesn't come back to bite you. Don't forget NetWeather are forecating a hot and sunny summer akin to 1976, and we're only seven days away now and GFS is not looking that promising for next week. Fingers very tightly crossed !

Posted

So just to clarify, if on June 1st it's not blazingly hot then you would consider the forecast to be a dud and the technical, more detailed items on netweather not to be worth it?!

Posted

So just to clarify, if on June 1st it's not blazingly hot then you would consider the forecast to be a dud and the technical, more detailed items on netweather not to be worth it?!

Not at all. I just think it's very dangerous to congratulate someone (or group of people) for a seasonal forecast before it has actually happened. The technical aspect was very reasoned and logical, but it doesn't guarantee success. All I meant was that current indications are that the first half of June MAY have the high pressure much further west than the seasonal forecast was suggesting, but only time will tell and then we can all make our judgement.

Posted

But he wasn't congratulating the forecast, he was commenting on the availability of a bit more technical information and detail.

Posted

But he wasn't congratulating the forecast, he was commenting on the availability of a bit more technical information and detail.

Point taken. I probably I should have 'quoted' the whole thread, rather than just the one contributor. The point I was trying to make, obviously unsuccessfully, is that you can put as much technical detail in a forecast as you want, but it matters not one jot if the forecast turns out to be inaccurate, particularly if you are going to use headlines like 'Hot and Dry Summer - Shades of 1976'. It's a big risk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Are they the firm the Daily Express go to in winter when they want to put up a 'coldest winter since the existence of earth' type headline.

Yes they are.

Posted
Just a quick one... what happened to the 2 week heatwave predicted by Positive Weather Solutions?

What happened to it? It was predicted by PWS. :lol:

Posted

This is the fallacy of making brash, bold claims about what the weather will do long term. And nobody is immune, including netweather forecasters. Even the metoffice with far more sophisticated technology, expertese and ability screwed one up for summer 2009. I have a feeling stewart's might go the same way, you know, merely because of how rather unrealistically brash and bold it seems to me. Ok so you don't want to sit on the fence either, but I've seen many weather organisations go down this route and eat humble pie shortly thereafter.

Posted

Don't worry, they will be back in the papers next month for June, for what could be a cracking month, claiming heatwave etc. Makes you think, that they only forecast things for the sake of it or go overboard or half the time it is wishful thinking.

J Powell was quoted last week as stating that the national high temperature record would be broken in either June or July. You would think that he would have learned a lesson after saying the same thing for August in both 2009 and 2010 and fallen woefully short. Your assessment is no doubt near the mark.

Moreover, don't be fooled by the idea that PWS employs five people. Two of those mentioned on the website contribute now and then from home, and then there's the gardening correspondent. But three or four "forecasters" I strongly suspect don't even exist and have been created to give the impression of a proper company. Although why anybody looking at that website would be fooled into thinking there's a professional company behind it is beyond me.

Somebody in this thread wanted to pursue this. I'd look closely at this aspect. You can probably guess which three or four might be fakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

He says the national temperature record will be broken every year!!

He is going to be right sooner or later I suppose rolleyes.gif

It is all just upper garbage, even the press must now be reluctant to use PWS.

I will never forget when he forecast winter superstorms, 130mph gusts in time for xmas (I believe this tripe was in 2007).

The guy is just a loon!

He says the national temperature record will be broken every year!!

He is going to be right sooner or later I suppose

And will promptly claim uncanny accuracy, no doubt.

It is all just upper garbage, even the press must now be reluctant to use PWS.

If only that were so. There's no sign of the Express or Mail letting up. Contrarily, in fact - the wilder the forecasts and opinions the more likely they are to use them.

Posted

I want to know this mans credentials!

I also want a response from them over their poor forecasts (4th email sent)... pigs might fly i guess!