Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Depression

Posted

New user guys. biggrin.gif

I don't think I'm alone when I reminisce about the deep snow, bitter cold nights and the fighting spirit of the British people when the hard times of winter strike Britain.

My memories of winter are somewhat limited since I'm only 19 years old, but I still remember my favourite winter event to date where I live: 26th of Febuary 2001. I awoke to monster snowfalls of 50cm of level snowfall and drifts several meters deep, which appeared in the space of one night. There was 30 hours of consecutive snowfall in my area which totally blocked the roads. It was the first, and one of the very few times that I've been totally snowed in.

*"After 31 hours of non stop snowfall near Motherwell accumulated depths were approximately 50cm, with 3m drifts in places, by midday; in the early hours conditions were very severe with visibility down to 50m in heavy falling snow and blowing snow. The M.8, Scotland's busiest motorway, was blocked completely for more than 10 hours, with hundreds of motorists stranded in their cars. More than 300 people spent several hours in the evening and into Wednesday stuck in snow on the M74 motorway between Abington and Crawford, in South Lanarkshire, as rescuers struggled to get to them. In Yorkshire, Trans-Pennine routes were badly affected, with the Snake Pass and Woodhead Pass forced to close. Edinburgh and Dublin airports were closed for much of the day."

snow10.jpg

The village of Carnwath on 27th feburay 2001.

snow19.jpg

Deep snow drifts in Carnwath

Temperatures on the following nights after these scenes plunged to -18 degrees ohmy.gif

Up until a few years ago, I had never known snow to last any longer than 10 days, however over the last 3 winters there has been periods of prolonged snowfall.

Winter 2008/2009 - 16 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2009/2010 - 32 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2010/2011 - 27 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2011/2012 - ?????????

What's your favourite memories of winters gone by and what are your hopes for the fast approaching winter of 2011/2012??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

New user guys. biggrin.gif

I don't think I'm alone when I reminisce about the deep snow, bitter cold nights and the fighting spirit of the British people when the hard times of winter strike Britain.

My memories of winter are somewhat limited since I'm only 19 years old, but I still remember my favourite winter event to date where I live: 26th of Febuary 2001. I awoke to monster snowfalls of 50cm of level snowfall and drifts several meters deep, which appeared in the space of one night. There was 30 hours of consecutive snowfall in my area which totally blocked the roads. It was the first, and one of the very few times that I've been totally snowed in.

*"After 31 hours of non stop snowfall near Motherwell accumulated depths were approximately 50cm, with 3m drifts in places, by midday; in the early hours conditions were very severe with visibility down to 50m in heavy falling snow and blowing snow. The M.8, Scotland's busiest motorway, was blocked completely for more than 10 hours, with hundreds of motorists stranded in their cars. More than 300 people spent several hours in the evening and into Wednesday stuck in snow on the M74 motorway between Abington and Crawford, in South Lanarkshire, as rescuers struggled to get to them. In Yorkshire, Trans-Pennine routes were badly affected, with the Snake Pass and Woodhead Pass forced to close. Edinburgh and Dublin airports were closed for much of the day."

snow10.jpg

The village of Carnwath on 27th feburay 2001.

snow19.jpg

Deep snow drifts in Carnwath

Temperatures on the following nights after these scenes plunged to -18 degrees ohmy.gif

Up until a few years ago, I had never known snow to last any longer than 10 days, however over the last 3 winters there has been periods of prolonged snowfall.

Winter 2008/2009 - 16 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2009/2010 - 32 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2010/2011 - 27 consecutive days of lying snow.

Winter 2011/2012 - ?????????

What's your favourite memories of winters gone by and what are your hopes for the fast approaching winter of 2011/2012??

Hi there ruzzi,

Welcome to Netweather,

Can you please pop your location in your profile.

Wow 31 hours of snowfall! that's quite something. I guess for me, last Winter was a bit of an upheaval but managed to cope okay. I was more worried about the wildlife in my garden lol.

I'm sure there will be some Snow and winter fans in soon to tell you of their memories. I'm not really a winter person I'm more of a storm person that never gets one as you'll tell by The No storms Club lol.