Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Food Problems Gmo's

Posted

i've tried this in a couple of places to see if people have an opion they don't seem to or it's heavy fairly reading, thought i'd try it here as well ,see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts ,i'm not sure what to think and have an open mind about it ,it takes some carefull reading ,and is quite complicated ,

http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/May2011_Huber.pdf

there is a video and a letter to the eu about it as well

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/dr_hubers_warning/#who

this is the companies release i think

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/weedscience/2011/GlyphosatesImpact11.pdf

so if your bored ,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I have absolutely no problems with eating GMOs. IMO, they can only help feed the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

My fear with GM is that it goes against the principles of crop protection that advisors of IPM (Integrated Pest Management) have been trying to drum into growers for years.

If you give a farmer a cure all method of controlling a pest or disease then all other principles go out the window. Principles like hygiene, crop rotation, monitoring, disease/pest prevention and resistance management.

When using a chemical to control a pathogen the advice is to use chemicals with a different mode of action to prevent the possibility of resistance. When we rely solely on GM we are in effect relying on a single mode of action to control the pest or disease.

In the example in the article above it is Glyphosphate resistance which has been introduced to Soya beans allowing the widespread use of Glyphosphate to control weeds on Soya post germination. The issue highlighted is that the soya still suffers a reduced effect of the glyphosphate but manages to pull through. This has opened the door to other plant pathogens to infect the Soya which may or may not go on to infect other crops..

It's a complex issue and I'm not sure we know enough about plant and soil biology to really be confident that we can manipulate the genetic make up of plants without serious repercussions.

I have absolutely no problems with eating GMOs. IMO, they can only help feed the world.

I actually agree, I don't have issues with eating GM and I believe the answers to feeding the world are there to be found but we must proceed with caution and realise the wider implications of our actions.

Over the years we have learnt a great deal about plant protection and we need to remember those lessons.

Posted

I actually agree, I don't have issues with eating GM and I believe the answers to feeding the world are there to be found but we must proceed with caution and realise the wider implications of our actions.

Over the years we have learnt a great deal about plant protection and we need to remember those lessons.

Very much agreed.

Posted

Worse thing ever invented contains toxins.

Natural food not GM rubbish.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8525165/Toxic-pesticides-from-GM-food-crops-found-in-unborn-babies.html

One link of many which goes well against GM.

Had it by accident one day a few years ago and it was vile.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Worse thing ever invented contains toxins.

Natural food not GM rubbish.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8525165/Toxic-pesticides-from-GM-food-crops-found-in-unborn-babies.html

One link of many which goes well against GM.

Had it by accident one day a few years ago and it was vile.

Hi Snowy,

I'm not going to say anything directly to you regarding toxins in foods. But you would find Dr Ben Goldacre's Bad Science (book and website) eye-opening, I think...It has a lot to say on media-fuelled food scares and scams...

Enjoy it...Harpercollins - I think? :good:

Posted
Posted · Hidden by 4wd, June 11, 2011 - no
Hidden by 4wd, June 11, 2011 - no

God what an idiotic article.

It's repeated from here

The invisible ingredient poisoning children

The comments are even more ridiculous and why they've re-run the exact same piece from two weeks previous is a mystery.

I'm no fan of GM crops but the idea they need ever increasing rates of dangerous pesticide and herbicides is garbage.

Furthermore the specific incident seems to be some toxic spray mis-applied - maybe an insecticide which would need applying to the crop whether it was round-up resistant GM soya or not. Glyphosate simply could not cause any such effect.

Then the comments below seem to be from environmental morons who'd believe anything.

Even the FOE person more or less agrees it's not a GM 'incident' but can't resist trying to score cheap points.

I'm a food campaigner at Friends of the Earth.

Whilst it is the pesticides doing the damage there is a link with GM - vast fields of GM crops grown at commercial scale need increasing quantities of pesticides.

Much of the soy grown in South America is genetically modified to tolerate glyphosate herbicides, but as herbicide tolerance builds up ever-increasing quantities are needed.

Rather than deepening our reliance on imports of soy from South America, the UK's livestock production would be more secure and sustainable if we were to use home-grown animal feeds and grass-fed systems.

Helen Rimmer

I despair at the standard of this from a newspaper which should at least attempt to set out the facts clearly without stupid sensationalisation - even if they are going to have a green agenda.

Posted

Thanks for that...So the child died as a result of being sprayed with pesticide, eh? Is someone suggesting that, had the soya not been GM, said pesticide would be rendered non-toxic?? Or am I just being thick! :help:

One thing about all this malarkey does concern me, however: What happens when one (just one) genuine scare actually does occur? Will we be all so fatigued by drivel, that we'll simply yawn, and really miss something?

Post Food-Scare Chronic Fatigue Sydrome...PFSCFS?

Posted

I know some vegetarians who eat soya but little do they know it`s not good for them,processed junk.

ROUND UP of all things been using that to kill nettles just recently!!!!

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/10/gm-soy-linked-to-cancer-birth-defects.html

Nothing like natural food all the additives which are put in the food these days you don`t know what your eating.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

i've always been a supporter of gm ,

there are a lot of things that need looking at ,and the chap is saying it needs looking at before anything more is reliesed ,but some of the finding from this particaler gm crop might be a problem and needs looking at ,

unfortunatly ,it's pretty specialized ,agronomy is something i'm interested in ,not good at but interested in :blush: