Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

Typical its been back to the normal slate grey skies since this time yesterday.

The 'warm' spell only arrived here Friday and ended Yesterday and now the outlook is back to the usual for the foreseeable future.

Despite the charts showing plenty of sunshine later in the week as the showers die off, the winds will be West/NW which means everyday will be like my signature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Have to agree with you there.. the word heatwave is ridiculously over used in this country.. I heard people last year labelling it as a heatwave when it was 22-24C for a week and sunny in July when they're average July temperatures.

When it reaches 30C people go on about it being unbearable and talk about global warming when 30C also happens every year in the UK

I do find 30c unbearable though, anything above 25c I deem uncomfortable. The past few days have been perfect though to be honest, not too warm and the nights very comfortable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's rather ironic that during the 1990s I felt uncomfortable in anything over 25C and got annoyed by the media going on about how heat was "glorious" and 30C+ was the holy grail. These days my heat tolerance thresholds are about 5C higher, and we have various media sources (especially the BBC) preaching that anything over 25C is too hot. It seems you can't win lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Ah the whining thread, excellent.

It's not wet, not cold, it's not windy, it's not foggy. It's nothing like the summer of 1985 and Glacier Point reckons there's little chance of it being so.

The only ray of hope is that the solstice occurs in 16 days time and slowly but inexorably we begin to lose daylight and the darkness creeps back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I do find 30c unbearable though, anything above 25c I deem uncomfortable. The past few days have been perfect though to be honest, not too warm and the nights very comfortable.

Fair enough, I know some people don't tolerate heat as well as others, it's just the surprise some people seem to have when it gets hot that it's 'unusual' that's weird and the over talk of global warming as soon as we get a heatwave that's annoying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

lol made me chuckle hearing a BBC forecaster this morning saying for those tired of the heat its getting cooler from tomorrow, temps of 23C to 25C widely for three days is hardly that uncomfortable with nights around 10C, we must be a nation of softies if we cant take those kind of temps for just three days in June, even the worst summers have some days with temps early 20's to mid 20's C.

For once I agree with you Eugene, the BBC forecasts allways treat a 25C-30C warm/hot spell like it's very hot and a natural disaster or something, some Brits really need to get a grip with warm/hot temperatures, I know we're an island but 28C isn't bizarre and would be considered normal summer weather in almost any other country.

Posted
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)

I guess the all the heavy thundersotrms and rain will dodge Reading! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

For once I agree with you Eugene, the BBC forecasts allways treat a 25C-30C warm/hot spell like it's very hot and a natural disaster or something, some Brits really need to get a grip with warm/hot temperatures, I know we're an island but 28C isn't bizarre and would be considered normal summer weather in almost any other country.

Try Iceland - sunshine and maxes around 9c so certainly not all other countries! A heatwave up there is 20c or more with summer temperatures normally around 15c at most.

I tolerate temperatures at both ends of the spectrum - I'm always the one without a coat on with everyone else wrapped up but I'm also the one who can take 30c+ without melting.

It's just the middle of the road dullness temperature zone I can't stand - temps neither here nor there. 1c up to about 6c being the worst - nowt wintry but feels vile to be out in and costs loads to heat the house against! Since UK winters average around those temps it makes me definitely not enjoy the bulk of winter. At least 'average' in summer is pleasant even if not especially warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yes, where do I start. Summer 2011, think that might have just been and gone for us here. Constant temps of around 11-14c. It's a bad time when you look forward to the 'warmth' of 14c. And this spring/summer it seems to be never ending. Only Reykjavik is cooler than Glasgow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

All this talk of a drought... well there is certainly no risk of that here! 4 days off work in the last 2 weeks and it has poured with rain on each and every one of them!

Today is just utter rubbish!! 11.8c and raining! :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Today was the definite end of the 2 day day 'heatwave' lol! Grey sky all day and still raining on and off now, contrary to the BBC forecast I saw at breakfast time - in fact the BBC forecasts have been going down hill rapidly of late being frequently wrong even just after a few hours.

Posted

Another thing i hate about here is the fact that if there's somewhere in the Country that gets a nice day while everywhere else gets rain its NEVER here here.

E.g today, West Wales and the East Midlands have had a rather nice day whilst theres been not even 1 second of sunshine here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Try Iceland - sunshine and maxes around 9c so certainly not all other countries! A heatwave up there is 20c or more with summer temperatures normally around 15c at most.

I tolerate temperatures at both ends of the spectrum - I'm always the one without a coat on with everyone else wrapped up but I'm also the one who can take 30c+ without melting.

It's just the middle of the road dullness temperature zone I can't stand - temps neither here nor there. 1c up to about 6c being the worst - nowt wintry but feels vile to be out in and costs loads to heat the house against! Since UK winters average around those temps it makes me definitely not enjoy the bulk of winter. At least 'average' in summer is pleasant even if not especially warm.

Sounds like we have similar tolerancessmile.gif I am awful with moderate anything, between 5-15C I have to wear a coat especially if it's cloudy, but at lower temperatures than that the air is crisp and I naturally adapt so don't get cold, which for some reason I can't do if moderate temperatures, and am good with any heat, even extreme heat, same story with rain, during heavy rain I can get soaked and nothing happens, but lighter drizzly type rain always gives me shivers and the flu!cold.gif

Fair enough to those out there with different temp/weather tolerances, we are all different, but BBC and other TV forecasts musn't speak about heat relief as if it includes everyone, when it may only be about half the population!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the BBC's stance on what summer weather is good and bad is probably coloured by the fact that the BBC Weather Centre is based in London. Central London tends not to be as hospitable as most other regions during hot spells because the urban heat island effects keeps overnight minima high and most people commute to work on crowded public transport due to the population density- some of the tube routes get particularly bad.

As far as problems with trying to second-guess people's weather preferences go, this is just another one to put with the rest, for I imagine that the BBC's stance on summer heat is shared by the majority of London's population (which will be the reason for them preaching it) but not by the majority of people living in other parts of the country, particularly suburban and rural areas.

1c up to about 6c being the worst - nowt wintry but feels vile to be out in

What a load of tosh, ive recorded max temps around 1C/2C by day in winter and there was snow on the ground, maybe not winter to you but to most people in the UK it is, ive known it to be 3C but feel very cold due to the wind chill factor and cold dewpoints, a shame you ignore other factors apart from an actual max 2M temp reading for a 24 hr period, in winter a max of 1C to 3C can be very short lived in the afternoon before temps plummet after 3 pm and you get harsh frosts by the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

What a load of tosh, ive recorded max temps around 1C/2C by day in winter and there was snow on the ground, maybe not winter to you but to most people in the UK it is, ive known it to be 3C but feel very cold due to the wind chill factor and cold dewpoints, a shame you ignore other factors apart from an actual max 2M temp reading for a 24 hr period, in winter a max of 1C to 3C can be very short lived in the afternoon before temps plummet after 3 pm and you get harsh frosts by the evening.

Yes i totally agree. There was one day in Jan winter just gone and i walked up the shop in 2c and it was really raw and you couldnt see the moor and i was less than a hundred yards from it, it was a beautifull feeling though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I think the BBC's stance on what summer weather is good and bad is probably coloured by the fact that the BBC Weather Centre is based in London. Central London tends not to be as hospitable as most other regions during hot spells because the urban heat island effects keeps overnight minima high and most people commute to work on crowded public transport due to the population density- some of the tube routes get particularly bad.

As far as problems with trying to second-guess people's weather preferences go, this is just another one to put with the rest, for I imagine that the BBC's stance on summer heat is shared by the majority of London's population (which will be the reason for them preaching it) but not by the majority of people living in other parts of the country, particularly suburban and rural areas.

Yes, going on the tube in summer is very unpleasant.. it's often above 30C on most days down there and during hot spells it reaches over 40C..

Posted

Another thing i hate about here is the fact that if there's somewhere in the Country that gets a nice day while everywhere else gets rain its NEVER here here.

E.g today, West Wales and the East Midlands have had a rather nice day whilst theres been not even 1 second of sunshine here.

I think you may be feeling "under the weather" as a result of having been unlucky with cloud. Yes the Shropshire region is relatively cloudy, but it isn't normally that cloudy- it's about the same as, say, Manchester and Durham. July 1999 was one good example of a month where the Shrewsbury area fared rather well for sunshine relative to most other regions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm not complaining about those sorts of conditions. A freezing night where temps just dip into positive numbers during the day are good when coupled with sun, snow & frost.

I'm more getting at those dull raw days (usually easterlies without a deep cold feed) where temperatures remain constant 24 hours most often 2-6c depending on the time of year. No sun, no frost - just a horrible cold wind that costs a fortune to keep warm in.

Posted

I'm not complaining about those sorts of conditions. A freezing night where temps just dip into positive numbers during the day are good when coupled with sun, snow & frost.

I'm more getting at those dull raw days (usually easterlies without a deep cold feed) where temperatures remain constant 24 hours most often 2-6c depending on the time of year. No sun, no frost - just a horrible cold wind that costs a fortune to keep warm in.

I guessed as much. My least favourite type of weather in a nutshell...

Posted

I think you may be feeling "under the weather" as a result of having been unlucky with cloud. Yes the Shropshire region is relatively cloudy, but it isn't normally that cloudy- it's about the same as, say, Manchester and Durham. July 1999 was one good example of a month where the Shrewsbury area fared rather well for sunshine relative to most other regions.

About 5 years ago I remember starting a Historic Weather thread about July 1999, saying it was one of the best summer months I can remember and wondering why it seems to have been forgotten by most. It actually beat August 2003 round here on all 3 categories- temperature, sunshine and dryness.

Being "unlucky with cloud" in the summer half-year has been a 21st-century constant here except for July 2006 and April 2007 (and to some extent June 2010, but OMG we paid for that in July!), how people can compare May 2008 to 1992, August 2003 to 1995 and April 2011 to 2007 is a mystery to me when I spent all those months in Shropshire. It really does seem almost impossible to get a day of near-unbroken sunshine between May and August here.

Posted

All this talk of a drought... well there is certainly no risk of that here! 4 days off work in the last 2 weeks and it has poured with rain on each and every one of them!

Today is just utter rubbish!! 11.8c and raining! :angry:

Blimey, sounds a world away from here. Apart from several pathetic sprinkles we had not had anything decent since the 7th May. Dry today apart from a few spots though cloudy all day. Grass and some fields are brown/yellow in places again, at least that's until slow moving showers developed over me this evening and gave some nice needed rain.

April brought just 9mm. I guess you will normally get more due to being quite high up.

Posted

Being "unlucky with cloud" in the summer half-year has been a 21st-century constant here except for July 2006 and April 2007 (and to some extent June 2010, but OMG we paid for that in July!), how people can compare May 2008 to 1992, August 2003 to 1995 and April 2011 to 2007 is a mystery to me when I spent all those months in Shropshire. It really does seem almost impossible to get a day of near-unbroken sunshine between May and August here.

You got unlucky in April 2011, but May 1992 and August 1995 were much sunnier than either May 2008 or August 2003 over a large majority of the country, with warmer days and cooler nights.

Indeed both May 2008 and August 2003 had a similar issue- exceptionally warm/hot and sunny early in the month and then mostly cloudy later in the month. In August 1995 generally cloudy weather didn't set in until the 28th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Just saw the update to the summer forecast. Netweather no longer reckon June will be a warm month as first anticipated, but say that the 'northern half' of the UK will have average temperatures. That would actually be an improvement on recent weather because Thursday/Friday excluded it's been no warmer than 14/15c in western Scotland for some time. Temperatures seem permanently below average here and, whats more, I've yet to see any forecasts for the Glasgow area, whether they be on here, Weather Channel, weatheronline or elsewhere, which show any change from this pattern over the next two weeks.

Again, I reckon the only country in Europe colder than Scotland right now is Iceland.

Posted

Well Sundays autumnal beastly Summer 2007 esque low seems nailed on now, the worst of the weather (and its poor 6.5 days a week these days here always comes at the weekend without fail.

Also these washout lows never come at night either :lol:, always the same routine of rain arriving in the morning, clearing late afternoon then brightening up in the evening, then clear night.

Its blatently nailed on aswell and will probably barely change its track whilst if it was a heatwave at 114hrs something would find a way to go wrong.

Awful charts, ive had enough again, just like a few weeks ago ive seen enough gloom to know theres no need to take a look at any more runs till Monday.

Edited by conor123