Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

Even last June/1st half of July was closer to "shades of 1976" than this summer... by far. Now people are calling 1 day of 25°C a "heatwave" it shows how desperate we have become.

There was once a time when a "heatwave" was at least 3 consecutive days over 30°C and not just in the SE. Even in my part of Derbyshire Peak District last June we managed a lot of days reaching 25°C.

I don't think it got to 25C at all last June and July? At least not above ~300m. It reached 25C in May though.

Posted

I don't think it got to 25C at all last June and July? At least not above ~300m. It reached 25C in May though.

In my place we hit 25 degrees on 26th, 27th and 28th of June, and not at all in July. But June was generally very warm and sunny with an average high around 19 degrees and very dry. "Shades of 76" would have fitted that far better than this one.

Posted

Another standard day in Telford with bright sunshine at 6am, thick haze moving in by 9am and slate grey skies 10am onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Same here. The hottest day of the year in 2010 was May 23rd with 25.3, this was the only day of the year to reach 25c.

In the last 33 years only 7 Junes have reached 25c, the last time being in 2005. July has reached 25c on 16 occasions and August on 12.

25c really is a hot day in this part of the world and I'll be making plenty of contributions to the whining thread if we get anywhere near it this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Hmm, 40 odd degrees in france next week. Bet there heat doesnt 'downgrade' like our pathetic 'hot spell'.always the same..

Hot spell????? blip more like!!

This summer (for those of us in the north and west of Britain) is turning out to be a real pile of dog crap. After the lousy summers we have endured the past few years I was really hoping this one would deliver something remotely summery.

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

Same here. The hottest day of the year in 2010 was May 23rd with 25.3, this was the only day of the year to reach 25c.

In the last 33 years only 7 Junes have reached 25c, the last time being in 2005. July has reached 25c on 16 occasions and August on 12.

25c really is a hot day in this part of the world and I'll be making plenty of contributions to the whining thread if we get anywhere near it this summer.

That bit in bold..... hideous.

Here it reached 26 degrees in June 2006 and 25 degrees three times last June.

I used to live in SE England so 25 degrees is barely even warm for me. That was closer to the average high for July (24C) where I lived. I've been through plenty of 90's (32.2c) temps in SE England. B-E-Autiful. Needless to say I hope to move away from here soon. Even bloody Manchester is a climatic upgrade over here. That's very sad.

Going by your post I bet 25c feels to you like how 40c would feel to me.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Just popping out of lurk mode to have a moan at how sick fed up I am of having to endure yet another awful summer.

Today was forecast to be decent - dry and fine with temps of 21C which may not be a heatwave even here but still a huge improvement on the last few weeks. However it's another lousy day - raining with not a glimmer of sun so far and only 15.4C :nonono: .

In the past , under these synoptics, rain would have been restricted to the NW Highlands with the east coast enjoying warm,sunny weather with SW winds as opposed to cool, wet conditions and a SE wind. Little wonder it seems impossible to get a good summer month nowadays with none since 2006. Even the 60s summers weren't this persistently poor.

May and June have been a total nightmare here due to a succession of appalling weekends. What should be the two best months for outdoor activities reduced to a write-off. The only remotely decent weekend here was 28th/29th May and that was only because we managed to avoid the showers.

Shockingly bad weekends have been a regular feature of the past 4 summers making them seem even worse than they actually were. In 10 of the last 12 summer months I have recorded worse weather at the weekend than weekdays and I thought we couldn't possibly get this for a 5th summer in a row but that's exactly what seems to be happening yet again :wallbash:

Up till the 17th we actually had quite a lot of fine days though pretty much all during the week when most are at work but at least you can get out in the evenings for some fresh air. The last 9 days have been utterly ghastly - woeful even by the rock-bottom standards June has sunk to over the last 15 years. 33mm of rain, only 1 dry day and just 21 hours of sun since the 18th. Summer? This would be dire in October. Wednesday, in particular was putrid with rain all day and a max of 10.7C. Unbelievably, only 9 days from the start of what should be the warmest month of the year, this was the coldest day I had recorded since March :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Just popping out of lurk mode to have a moan at how sick fed up I am of having to endure yet another awful summer.

Today was forecast to be decent - dry and fine with temps of 21C which may not be a heatwave even here but still a huge improvement on the last few weeks. However it's another lousy day - raining with not a glimmer of sun so far and only 15.4C :nonono: .

In the past , under these synoptics, rain would have been restricted to the NW Highlands with the east coast enjoying warm,sunny weather with SW winds as opposed to cool, wet conditions and a SE wind. Little wonder it seems impossible to get a good summer month nowadays with none since 2006. Even the 60s summers weren't this persistently poor.

May and June have been a total nightmare here due to a succession of appalling weekends. What should be the two best months for outdoor activities reduced to a write-off. The only remotely decent weekend here was 28th/29th May and that was only because we managed to avoid the showers.

Shockingly bad weekends have been a regular feature of the past 4 summers making them seem even worse than they actually were. In 10 of the last 12 summer months I have recorded worse weather at the weekend than weekdays and I thought we couldn't possibly get this for a 5th summer in a row but that's exactly what seems to be happening yet again :wallbash:

Up till the 17th we actually had quite a lot of fine days though pretty much all during the week when most are at work but at least you can get out in the evenings for some fresh air. The last 9 days have been utterly ghastly - woeful even by the rock-bottom standards June has sunk to over the last 15 years. 33mm of rain, only 1 dry day and just 21 hours of sun since the 18th. Summer? This would be dire in October. Wednesday, in particular was putrid with rain all day and a max of 10.7C. Unbelievably, only 9 days from the start of what should be the warmest month of the year, this was the coldest day I had recorded since March :help:

Do you post on TWO by any chance?

I'm sick of this month as well but it looks like things are finally turning around now. June can be a changeable month here but usually in July the temperatures at least stay warm and stabalise so that it's rare to see under 20C in July here even during the crap atlantic weather driven patterns. That's a good thing about the SE at least, at least it's always warm in summer, hearing people in the NW always complaining about sub 20C and even 15C in summer makes me feel sick :s I couldn't live with that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hmm I might consider moving to the Aberdeen area. I wonder how house prices compare to those in the Peak District?

Posted

Hmm I might consider moving to the Aberdeen area. I wonder how house prices compare to those in the Peak District?

I have been staying in Tideswell this weekend and wondered how you'd find it today, definitely a very warm day in those parts. Even up at 320m where I was it was still very warm and didnt feel much cooler than when I arrived back home.

You'd have hated it here though, at one point the temperature was 27.6C with a dewpoint of 20.2C. The dewpoint was the highest Ive ever recorded and it just felt horrid.

Posted

I have been staying in Tideswell this weekend and wondered how you'd find it today, definitely a very warm day in those parts. Even up at 320m where I was it was still very warm and didnt feel much cooler than when I arrived back home.

You'd have hated it here though, at one point the temperature was 27.6C with a dewpoint of 20.2C. The dewpoint was the highest Ive ever recorded and it just felt horrid.

It's not been too bad in the daytime, just about bareable. But I've came on here to whine about the nighttime temperates, which are refusing to drop much below 18C. If it doesn't drop much further then surely this is one of the hottest nights ever? Absolutely vile.

Posted

It's not been too bad in the daytime, just about bareable. But I've came on here to whine about the nighttime temperates, which are refusing to drop much below 18C. If it doesn't drop much further then surely this is one of the hottest nights ever? Absolutely vile.

unbearable heat every year i think should i get a fan then decide not to then i suffer on nights like this.deffo getting one soon

Its been a let down to be honest, no thunderstorms likely for warwickshire just overcast grey drizzly rubbish, it amazes me how people get excited over just a few very warm days but in winter if its cold for weeks on end like last winter you see lots of moaners saying its a letdown, well this is what you call a let down not the second coldest december on record.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Pretty pathetic day so far, clear blue skies this morning gave way to grey muck by mid morning which itself failed to deliver anything of interest not even a heavy down pour, just a few spots.

Posted

Its been a let down to be honest, no thunderstorms likely for warwickshire just overcast grey drizzly rubbish, it amazes me how people get excited over just a few very warm days but in winter if its cold for weeks on end like last winter you see lots of moaners saying its a letdown, well this is what you call a let down not the second coldest december on record.

Why don't you just appreciate that we all have our different weather preferences. Some members like myself enjoy the heat and the thunderstorm potential and yet found Dec rather disappointing because it was mainly very cold with little snowfall.

Im loving this +30C heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well it's been a good 24 hours or so of good proper summer heat and sunshine. Very rare stuff since July 2006 so very welcomed by me.

Yes I'm sweating buckets but no complaints here!

What I am moaning though is just how rare this sort of weather has been in the past few years. No summer since 2006 has recorded anything like todays 31c max (with only May 2010 beating today which of course is spring!).

I know some people struggle with these very high humidity levels but then plenty of us struggle with freezing to death during last December too - all part of the fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm going to have a whine about the infamous "haar" on the Tyne and Wear coast- there's been an intense thunderstorm in Tyne and Wear with frequent thunder and heavy rain, but the "haar" came rolling into Cleadon as the storm approached, so apart from the initial approach of the Cb cells all I've seen is sheets of stratus covering up the cumulonimbus cells and blotting out the lightning.

The temperature is a sweltering 16C, so if you don't like the heat, come to the North Sea coast of the northeast. (I think the temps of 27-30C with current humidity levels would be rather on the high side of "comfortably warm" for me, but I would still rather be having them than 16C and a boring layer of stratus).

No wonder my parents are hoping to move away from this coastal area of Tyneside. However, on the other side of the coin, it isn't quite as infuriating as those days when the Tyneside coast is dry and cloudy all day without a thunderstorm in sight, other parts of the region have showers, thunderstorms and temperatures several degrees higher, and I then hear about how lucky we were to escape with the best of the region's weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I'm going to whinge about how pathetic Spanish Plumes are these days. In years gone by Spanish Plumes produced big wide ranging pretty violent night time storms which would affect many parts of the UK. Nowadays? Well there have been 2 Plume events now and both of them don't even deserve the term damp squib. Sure they delivered for some, but many missed out. Today produced a few drops of rain and that was that. If that's what modern day Spanish Plumes are about then you can shove them where the sun doesn't shine.

After a thunderless June, and no overhead storm in 3 years, that rant was necessary.

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

Or if 16C is just a tad too cool for you, you could come to the south coast of East Devon where it is 17.4C a few miles inland at the moment. I'd like the next 'hot' spell to reach higher than 23C here please. Mind you I guess that's part of living near the coast.

I did get a new dew point record earlier of 20.0C after a bit of moderate rain, a few patches of blue sky with no sea breeze at the time allowed it to reach 23.2C. It did feel very humid.

Posted

I haven't done too badly out of this brief muggy spell, but it's still a case of the east getting all the glory (30C+ temperatures).

What I could do with is a big fat high stationed to the east pumping up southeasterlies, but of course that's about as likely at the moment as Limp Bizkit releasing a half-decent album.

Posted

I will wine about the fact that there have been no storms here all year and there won't be today.

I said to myself either we get a big storm today or have a toss and get drunk now I know which it is.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

I'm going to have a whine about the infamous "haar" on the Tyne and Wear coast- there's been an intense thunderstorm in Tyne and Wear with frequent thunder and heavy rain, but the "haar" came rolling into Cleadon as the storm approached, so apart from the initial approach of the Cb cells all I've seen is sheets of stratus covering up the cumulonimbus cells and blotting out the lightning.

The temperature is a sweltering 16C, so if you don't like the heat, come to the North Sea coast of the northeast. (I think the temps of 27-30C with current humidity levels would be rather on the high side of "comfortably warm" for me, but I would still rather be having them than 16C and a boring layer of stratus).

No wonder my parents are hoping to move away from this coastal area of Tyneside. However, on the other side of the coin, it isn't quite as infuriating as those days when the Tyneside coast is dry and cloudy all day without a thunderstorm in sight, other parts of the region have showers, thunderstorms and temperatures several degrees higher, and I then hear about how lucky we were to escape with the best of the region's weather!

I only wish the sea breeze and fret had made it here! Today was utterly awful, the worst feeling day I can remember. It was 29.7C with a dewpoint of 21.2C at one point (a new 30 year dewpoint record) and even now is 21.1C and 87% humidity with no breeze at all. My parents have just come back from two weeks in Spain and despite being acclimatised to the heat have struggled quite a bit today.

The house temperature is 28.2C and I cant have the windows open as there is a pretty bad stench in the air from the water treatment works in Hull due to the warm stagnant air and wind direction. Its just thorouhly miserable, I cant wait for the cooler weather tomorrow!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I'd like to whinge about the forecasters, whinge about the people sticking up for them as if they are untouchable and whinge at the storms for being weak ****

I do not believe it :wallbash: