Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Looking For A Meteorology Book For Beginners.

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

Hi all. I am looking for a meteorology book for beginners. I know advanced mathematics. Can you recommend one? Thank you.

Posted

If you know "advanced" mathematics (that means different things to different people, I am assuming at least degree standard) then Holton should be penetrable. It's very rigorous and mathematical but in terms of meteorology pretty much starts at the bottom and works its way up quickly...mostly using maths.

Posted

you might finsd this book a bit easier as a starter

Essentials of Meteorology by DH McIntosh and AS Thom in the Wykeham Science Series

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A book that I am using for revision is Meteorology Today by Ahrens. It's a very good book, it goes into the theory behind explaining the weather rather than the maths. Although it does require a basic level of Physics.

The only issue is that it's very US-centric and some of the diagrams are in imperial units, but other than that I find it brilliant.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I hope next winter for the northern hemisphere to be ready to discuss with you about the weather.

Edited by Konstantinos

• 1 month later...
Posted

I have just finished reading "Understand the Weather" by Peter Inness (Lecturer and Senior Research Fellow in the Deparment of Meterology at the University of Reading). ISBN 978-1-444-10310-6.

I found it to be a good overview of the subject and an interesting read with chapters on weather systems, local weather effects and operational weather forecasting amongst others. The operational weather forecasting chapter was the main reason for reading the book, giving an introduction to NWP model forecasts and Ensemble forecasting.

It was also refreshing to read a meteorology book that focused on the UK as opposed to the American textbooks.

Posted

Not sure how basic this really is, but the title of the series is a give away!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Dummies-John-D-Cox/dp/0764552430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311318843&sr=8-1