Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mini Ice Age On The Way?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I wonder if we can get our third white xmas in a row?? (snow laying on ground not falling)

I think having a proper white christmas with - double figures made it the most magical one ive ever seen. :wub:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I wonder if we can get our third white xmas in a row?? (snow laying on ground not falling)

I think having a proper white christmas with - double figures made it the most magical one ive ever seen.

My ideal weather for Christmas would be this!

Christmas Eve evening for snow to be falling throughout the evening.

Then for Christmas day would be waking up to snow falling out side with snow cover a FOOT deep (30cm) with temps way below zero

Then around lunchtime 12pm for it to stop snowing but stay cloudy to around 2pm and for the snow to fall from then on throughout the afternoon and night aha :wub:

As for the mini ice age idea I am a big cold ramper but I am sceptical of this but I do think we will have harsher winters than we've been used to and cold spells in winters will be far more common and I am expecting in general for winters like the last 2 or 3 to be far more the norm rather than the rare.

To me a mini ice age represents whole winters been very cold throughout and I dont think this will happen but as said colder periods in winter will become more common in my opinion

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Winterpeg gets a bad rep in Canada...esp amongst Expats even worse than Edmonton as not a good place to be.

Lol - I have a buddy in Winnipeg who is trying to get me to move there with a good business offer - I told him it doesnt matter if I won the lottery I wouldnt move there

With reference to earlier messages about concerns on coping with this...you made a good point - we experience minus 40oC regularly and it doesnt impact us at all. Humans can adapt, they just need help from technology along the way...gritters/plows/car heating blocks, good insulation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

That sounds lovely actually ! clap.gif

It is far from lovely..no matter how much you love snow the novelty soons wear off

Posted

It is far from lovely..no matter how much you love snow the novelty soons wear off

In your opinion as long as its easy to get from A to B then for me it would be lovely as I believe Canada there is good equpiment to cope with the snow as normal life carries on so for me it would be lovely but I am an extreme cold ramper! whistling.gif

Posted

In your opinion as long as its easy to get from A to B then for me it would be lovely as I believe Canada there is good equpiment to cope with the snow as normal life carries on so for me it would be lovely but I am an extreme cold ramper! whistling.gif

its not an opinion its a fact :p

Posted

Its based on your opinion not a fact anyways its made for a nice little debate lol clap.gif

Posted

I have to agree with snowstorm No amount of cold and snow with right equipment ever gets dull. I used to think I would/might get to a limit but the more I see the more I want! :wacko:

6 months snow cover would do me just fine, :clap:

Roll on mini ice age.... if only it was true, sadly I keep waiting for the back to back cold winter dream to end which it has to sooner or later :unknw:

Posted

Its based on your opinion not a fact anyways its made for a nice little debate lol clap.gif

I have to agree with snowstorm No amount of cold and snow with right equipment ever gets dull. I used to think I would/might get to a limit but the more I see the more I want! :wacko:

6 months snow cover would do me just fine, :clap:

Roll on mini ice age.... if only it was true, sadly I keep waiting for the back to back cold winter dream to end which it has to sooner or later :unknw:

well lets just say as someone who lives here and lives with 6 months of cold and snow i know what im talking about..you just dont know sorry.

Posted

I met people from Finnish Lapland on holiday there in Feb 2007 that said they like the snow and like to be there instead of Helsinki in the winters.

I wonder if we do get a 4th below average winter this year, Not convinced I'd go as far as a 'mini ice age' though I think I've already posted why further back in this thread.

Posted

well lets just say as someone who lives here and lives with 6 months of cold and snow i know what im talking about..you just dont know sorry.

My family originated from canada and my grandad said he used to love the snowy long winters so I think its probably different for everyone. I also tend to dislike very hot weather but don't feel the cold much. You can always apply more thermal layers but you cannot do much when you have 30c + trying to work outside. :closedeyes:

Thats enough now I think we shall have to just agree to disagree and let it go as link to "iceage topic" is tenuous at best. :whistling:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

There's nothing wrong with Winnipeg except the whimps and negative nellies who whine about living there. I lived there my whole life until recently; moved to Ontario for a year and now live in England, and I still like Winnipeg. And I even kind of like the cold. :p

Edited by Eabie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

There have been some posts about ability to adapt, and I think a perfect example of that was during last winter. It fell to -16C in my area, which was, frankly, ridiculous and had never experienced it in my life. However, when the icy conditions broke down very quickly and literally the next day it was 0C in the morning, it actually felt reasonably warm; even though that would still be considered cold in a normal winter.

Sure, -16C isn't exactly ice age conditions, but I think the ability to adapt is what has kept humans alive through periods in the past...Only now we have advanced further and should be able to cope just fine I think. The main problem I foresee if this does happen (debatable, but possible [probable?]) would actually be the economic effects, and a change in how society functions...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Sure, -16C isn't exactly ice age conditions, but I think the ability to adapt is what has kept humans alive through periods in the past...

Very true, domesticating animals for hunting guarding and eating, farming crops and Forestry are all human adaptions.

It could be well argued that this PC and nuclear power are adaptions too.

Yet in the current world socioeconomic climate an ice age would probably finish us off. For instance... Once the nuclear sites, there are 100s go unmanned for what ever reason they will irradiate us and most living things we like out of the evolutionary tree. I bet they are still sorting the Japanese problem out in 20 years 100 years even. If half of Europe gets mashed by an ice sheet no amount of diplomacy will stop people warring there is another big one. But the biggest is food, where from how etc?

Don't worry I am only speculating. We can adapt yes.

Edited by Rustynailer

• 2 weeks later...

Is some kind of an ice age is coming?

Well many people who put allot of their time and effort in to the man made global warming hypothesis will be sceptical. Those who meditated on this hypothesis will try to ignore any evidence that Suggesting that CO2 has no effect in global climate.

Will the new finding of the 21s century shows the climate is controlled by the suns UV rays, cosmic rays, Magnetic field.

The media such as BBC has an invested interest in the manmade global warming hypothesis, has the BBC and the met-office gets funds from the government and the banks to make people believe we need carbon taxes. This type of tax goes from the government coffers in to the banks.

If the climate continues to cool, this will end up being a big loss in revenue for the government and for the banks.

If we are going into an ice age this first sign will be the loss of the east to west jet stream flow and more north/south snaky flow. Northern continental region will loss is spring and autumn and end up having more of a two extremes of summer and winter. The summer will be very hot over North America and Siberia. At the end of the hot summer there will be a quick on set of a cold winter and fast development of the polar vortex over North America and Siberia.

Over that past three years there has been a big decline in the earth magnetic field

There has been so far no big affects on the Gulf Stream. However the North Athletic Drifted has fallen massively. This current plays a big part in steering the jet stream over northern Europe and help aides the west to east flow.

Edited by power77

Posted

If the climate continues to cool, this will end up being a big loss in revenue for the government and for the banks.

the climate hasnt cooled though :cc_confused:

Posted

the climate hasnt cooled though :cc_confused:

Temps have plateaued though, so that's a start I guess. The proof in the pudding will be over the next few years, all the jigsaw pieces are in place, so now we will see if AGW really does effect temps.

Posted

Yet in the current world socioeconomic climate an ice age would probably finish us off. For instance... Once the nuclear sites, there are 100s go unmanned for what ever reason they will irradiate us and most living things we like out of the evolutionary tree. I bet they are still sorting the Japanese problem out in 20 years 100 years even. If half of Europe gets mashed by an ice sheet no amount of diplomacy will stop people warring there is another big one. But the biggest is food, where from how etc?

ice sheets form over thousands of years not overnight..so dont see how 100s of nuclear power stations would go unmanned?? or Europe would get mashed??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

ice sheets form over thousands of years not overnight..so dont see how 100s of nuclear power stations would go unmanned?? or Europe would get mashed??

and an Ice sheet would only help cool those Nuclear power stations, it's not like they are short of heat in them. :closedeyes:

I would be more concerned for transport of goods (especially the UK), heating bills and building firms who cannot use concrete/plaster etc in temps below 5c. Many people would have to return to using open fires and smog would return in populated areas.

Posted

Not necessarily, recent science paper I read suggests that the last Scottish Ice Cap formed in about 400 years. Please note that glaciers form well before this, withing the first 50-100 years after intitial cooling.

For those interested the paper was :

High-resolution numerical simulation of Younger Dryas glaciation in Scotland by N.R Golledge, A. Hubbard and D.E Sugden and published by the British Geological Survey

Posted

and an Ice sheet would only help cool those Nuclear power stations, it's not like they are short of heat in them. :closedeyes:

I would be more concerned for transport of goods (especially the UK), heating bills and building firms who cannot use concrete/plaster etc in temps below 5c. Many people would have to return to using open fires and smog would return in populated areas.

we pour concrete at -40c here so there is no issue there