Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 3

Coast

Posted

Up to 32.7c now. Humidity still low at 51%.

Nice clear blue skies, with a few milky patches to my North & West.

Decent off shore breeze as well....which may help later.

Hoping for some action this evening.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Up to 32.7c now. Humidity still low at 51%.

Nice clear blue skies, with a few milky patches to my North & West.

Decent sea breeze as well....which may help later.

Hoping for some action this evening.

Trust me, you're not the only one :D

Guest Kent-Weather

I take it that the anticipation is that there will be a break in the CAP? I am quite new to this so please forgive my ingnorance :rolleyes:

No apologies needed.

The cap shall break this evening and into the early hours of tomorrow morning. As an earlier poster correctly stated, day will cool and slowly erode the cap and with a trough/cold front expected overnight this shall cause lift and help to break the capping further :)

Posted

I now have the eve of work and would like your opinions on where if anywhere I should head to and wait as this is my first uk chase.

In Bournemouth at mo and need to be back here for 10pm really but could get my wife to take a taxi home if needs be this eve.

Is there any good view points you would recommend to watch the show unfold with in 2 or so hours of Bournemouth.

Also, I have no internet access from when I hit the road. I chased East coast Oz and used the wifi connection at Mc donalds, do they have same free wifi in this country or anyone know of other options.

I know there is no way of knowing if storms will def go but just want to know what / where you would head to in my situation.

Of home to pack the car now, thanks and good luck all.

Posted

a rather dissapointing outcome tbh, i think the MCS really changed things as most parts were supposed to have hot and sunny day, but we are left with light showers, mostly cloudy, with humid/sticky tempuratures. What a waste of "Cape" we need this high cloud to clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

No apologies needed.

The cap shall break this evening and into the early hours of tomorrow morning. As an earlier poster correctly stated, day will cool and slowly erode the cap and with a trough/cold front expected overnight this shall cause lift and help to break the capping further :)

Great & thanks for your replies, bring em on!!! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I'd imagine there is a capping inversion preventing convection from getting too robust at the moment. With daytime heating and increasing instability it's quite possible that convection will break through this layer and we'll get thunderstorms. I've seen days pushing 9000 CAPE in the US not break through a cap before though ;) Forcing is pretty weak down south so it's no guarantee we'll see widespread storms. However, there is a good 3 hours+ til peak heating to go. It's pretty rare even in the US to get events where the entire warm sector starts to light up. More often than not, storms form on the warm front, cold front and dryline and move off from there into the warm sector.

Edit: Shoulda guessed I'd be beaten by about half a dozen people the rate this thread is going!

I had my first cap bust experience in the US on tour one this year. It's disheartening that so much promise can come to nothing. Best just to see it as the potential energy it is rather than an already realised mechanism helps with the disappointment.

Plenty of time for initiation yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

please forgive me Im a total dunce with Tunder storms, but I am an avid watcher. am I still expecting some action tonight (Storm wise I mean lol)? :whistling:

Edited by lloydyd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I remember the spanish plume in early May - an old MCS ruined everything then - lets hope it doesn't happen again! Still sunny here mind, but nothing seems to be kicking off. In Northern England if nothing starts to bubble up by 17:00 I think its game over.

Posted

I'm in derby the sky has gone a milky White colour, very humid with temps at 28c

Posted

Firmly covered in the cirrus now. There was some good convection going at about 12.30 with the odd tower, but of course that's all gone now. It was a very narrow window for areas this far North & West & I would suspect that it's now closed. Still I'll look forward to what the rest of you get.

I remember the spanish plume in early May - an old MCS ruined everything then - lets hope it doesn't happen again! Still sunny here mind, but nothing seems to be kicking off. In Northern England if nothing starts to bubble up by 17:00 I think its game over.

I thought it was later and into Tuesday ..Why would it be game over at 17:00 ?

Posted

Still pretty sunny around here, odd bits of cloud but my garden sensor is measuring 33.6c still, hoping its enough for tonight still! Love a good storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The odd shower now forming in northen england and intensifiying rapidly hope this could be the start of a interesting afternoon

Just noticed that but too far west for me! Very warmand humid here and the sky is milky blue. Just been outside at work and was sweating within a few minutes!

Posted

eur_zeus_anim.gif

Still plenty of time yet......

Posted

Can you not see the shower to the west of Newcastle?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Can someone more knowledgeable of storms than me explain how a cape of 2600 and a lifted index of -8 in 30c heat can only produce a light shower? I would have expected fireworks with conditions like that!

Easy - ridging is still too strong, cap won't go

Posted

that milky sky is turnin into a sunny sky now.. but feels cooler outside.... think game is up for wiltshire? well always next time tho

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

Another shower breaking to the south of the first one paralel with Durham and intensifying quickly. Things appear to be moving but whether they become electrified is another story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Can you not see the shower to the west of Newcastle?

I no ive seen that is has developed so quickly and has already produced lightning lets hope it the first of many this afternoon

Posted

anybody else get headaches before a storm?? getting one now, and on that note.. cloud building over london and west of me... fingers crossed this may be it!! :drinks:

Posted

I no ive seen that is has developed so quickly and has already produced lightning lets hope it the first of many this afternoon

It looks like things could be breaking now across the NE as the shower to the south of Newcastle has intensified rapidly too. That looks like a corker to the North mind!

EDIT: There is anopther shower developing quickly below that one too they appear to be forming in a South to North line?

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Still overcast here with a high cirrus layer, but signs of mid level activity starting. There's a lot of lower cumulus forming, some quite large with darkening bases in areas. It feels and looks very stormy now, a day where one minute there is nothing then all hell brakes loose.:crazy:

I do hope you're right SJ clap.gif

It certainly feels heavy and stormy ....if we don't get anything from all this sticky heat I'm going to cray.gifand might even have do post an *annoying head bang thing* as well !!

The live streaming seems to be working well in the UK.......Banbury Cross Retail Park Burger King by the looks of it biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

This shower heading towards Alnwick is quite some beast, dont know if its throwing out anything electrical though.

post-5386-0-37387800-1309181980.txt

Netweather 5min radar