Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Least Favourite Summer Weather Pattern?

Which of these setups do you most dread seeing during the summer months?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these weather patternns do you dread the most between May and August

• Anticyclones centred right over Britain giving hot sunny weather for everywhere except maybe Shetland and parts of the E coast
    • Endless low pressure giving rain across the southern 7/8ths of the UK
    • Weeks on end of East Anglia and the Home Counties enjoying 25C warmth while it rains in Scotland and Snowdonia and is cloudy and boring everywhere else
    • Traditional Spanish Plume with England, Wales, S Scotland enjoying 27-33C heat and sunshine for 3 days followed by thunder
    • Modern Spanish Plume with SE England enjoying 27-33C heat for 3 days followed by thunder, the rest of England and Wales having a day of partly cloudy 26C followed by drizzle, and 15C murk in Scotland
    • Cold, raw NE'ly when everywhere is covered in stratus and below 18C except for the wetern coastal extremities which are sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

what is a modern spanish plume?????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

6 for me, completely pointless weather pattern in summer.

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted

One started on Saturday...

why is that modern though?

Posted

I picked the first one, but it's about duration for me. I like a warm sunny day as much as the next person, but I don't like them to stretch on and on. The heat becomes uncomfortable after a while, especially if the nights are warm too. But probably more than anything I just start to find the weather quite boring. I'll take anything -- light rain, heavy rain, snow, fog, gales, thunderstorms -- over long stretches of uneventful sunny days any day. (Keep in mind I'm new to England.) :p

Posted

July 2010 in the North and West Midlands. Hot, and yet not-so-vigorous convection causing midday after midday to be slate gray skies rather than the heavy showers that were hoped for, urgh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Definitely endless low pressure is the biggest bore as we always seem to end up with a SW-NE trajectory translating in frontal rain rather than clearer showery airstreams. Having said that, rPm airstreams can give us our best thunderstorms in spring and summer. Then it would have to be southeastern clipper of a plume while everyone misses out. 19th August 2009 would be an example where although it was 25C, it remained pretty white skied all day while London pushed 30C and places further west had rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

1 followed by 4 and 6 for me. Although i hate the opressive heat of the plumes there is the consolation of possible storms which at least makes it interesting. 6 would be my favourite pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

In my excitement when I saw it listed I almost voted for my favourite, which of course is option 2.

Fortunately rationality prevailed and my vote was cast firmly for option 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

6 for me. Horrible, horrible, horrible!!

I must agree with Cheeky Monkey though...IMO, last weekend's plume was no different to many, many others that have occurred over the years?

Edited by Pete Tattum
Sorry, wrong number!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

3,5,6. Number 3 is really frustrating, but I was in Belgium when it happened in an extreme fashion in August 2009 and got a great 2 week heatwave ending with a 40°C record breaker. Only SE England got to tap into the incredible heat which built over the continent, so it would have been really annoying if I'd been at home. The brief heatwave we just had affected NE England with some spectacular thunderstorms, so sometimes 5 isn't too bad. Number 6 is absolutely horrible when I'm at home, but great when I'm in the Lake District as the Pennines usually allow the Lakes to enjoy great sunshine with pleasant temperatures and no cloud on the fells.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As a long-standing resident of North Sea areas I had no hesitation in voting for no. 6, although no. 3 isn't far behind (even in the southeast, not a lot generally happens- typically warm and dry with variable amounts of cloud).

No. 5 is like a lesser version of 3 for me, and Tyne and Wear (as Alza mentions- beat me to it) got some excitement out of the latest "type 5" event.

No. 2 is a "depends on the circumstances" one- if we have fronts and tropical maritime air galore, I find it to be right up there, but if we're talking thundery lows or a pattern with frequent bursts of polar maritime air, then it's a very different story. I find No. 1 can get a bit boring if it goes on for extended periods but it can never remotely compare with 3 or 6. I have no issues with No. 4 though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Number 6 by a mile, and thats even more influenced by yesterday when we had rain on and off all day and temperatures struggling to get over 15c from a northeasterly. Long periods of hot, sunny days may be boring to some but as summer is the season for getting outdoors it would be perfect so no.1 would be my favourite.

Posted

If I had to choose my favourites it would be "Traditional Spanish Plume" followed by "Anticyclones centred right over Britain" when I'm at home. However, nothing can beat the last option (NE'lies) when I'm in the Lake District.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The cold raw NElies - a definite vile choice during spring & summer.

Swiftly followed by endless low pressure - also vile but at least has some variety.

Essentially anything that lowers sunshine is the biggest problem weather. Follow that by conditions that increase rainfall. Finally anything that cools it is bad too.

Of course an anticyclone anchored to our east pumping up hot, sunny weather being the perfect choice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

3 and 5...both equally frustrating and hateful from a personal viewpoint,

Posted

im going for number 2...2007 and 1988 spring to mind both very depressing summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

lol i didnt know you could get cold raw NE'lys in the summer months :)

More an issue in spring and early summer really but think back to August 2006 which felt distinctly chilly (especially compared to July!). As I remember (and I might be wrong) that involved low pressure in the North Sea feeding in cool NElies.

After mid summer northerlies are no longer the 'clean crisp sunshine' you get in winter & spring but more dull & cool so definitely unwelcome!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It would have to be number 2 for me,while im not mad about very hot weather i certainly dont like week after week of rain like summer 2007.

Posted

More an issue in spring and early summer really but think back to August 2006 which felt distinctly chilly (especially compared to July!). As I remember (and I might be wrong) that involved low pressure in the North Sea feeding in cool NElies.

After mid summer northerlies are no longer the 'clean crisp sunshine' you get in winter & spring but more dull & cool so definitely unwelcome!

Not always - at the end of August 1995 a chilly northerly set in, bringing clear skies overnight and some dramatic downpours, especially the further SE you went.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Northerlies can bring clear showery weather at any time of year, but in summer they ideally need to be sourced from west of due north because Scandinavia becomes relatively warm and you end up with a relatively stable, warm air & cold sea scenario, promoting cool cloudy weather. The late August 1995 northerly was a good case in point- I still vividly remember that dramatic day of sun, showers, hail and thunder here at Cleadon on the 27th from a northerly sourced near the North Pole, but then the 28th-31st turned cloudy and cool according to my records, associated with weak frontal systems and a modified north to north-easterly flow. The June 1995 northerly was also similar- it started off bright and showery on the 7th but the NE'lys of the 10th-13th brought grey drizzly weather.