Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great British Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I missed it...worth a watch if it's on BBC iPlayer on PS3 or give it a miss?

Posted

'I think some of you should go to the chemist and get some aftersun'

I think those idiot chavs should go to the chemist and get some pills to take a overdose with, morons. I missed half the show but cringed everytime the segments cut back to the crowd. the Microclimate piece was half-decent but I don't think i'll be watching it again for the self-glamourisation of the BBC weather presenters "it wasnt our fault, blame the weather models"..bangs head on wall.

Is this the same programme Paul was assigned to be out chasing with? i'm not looking forward to their misinterpretation of the chase-day if so. We all know what happened when the models were forecasting that outbreak that never was but the general public doesn't, and i'm afraid of going by how crass this show is. Its not going to paint a good picture for chasing in general.

Posted

'I think some of you should go to the chemist and get some aftersun'

I think those idiot chavs should go to the chemist and get some pills to take a overdose with, morons. I missed half the show but cringed everytime the segments cut back to the crowd. the Microclimate piece was half-decent but I don't think i'll be watching it again for the self-glamourisation of the BBC weather presenters "it wasnt our fault, blame the weather models"..bangs head on wall.

Is this the same programme Paul was assigned to be out chasing with? i'm not looking forward to their misinterpretation of the chase-day if so. We all know what happened when the models were forecasting that outbreak that never was but the general public doesn't, and i'm afraid of going by how crass this show is. Its not going to paint a good picture for chasing in general.

If it's any consolation I am dreading it as well :lol:

We all know even in the USA We have spectacular Busts (Even on High Risk Days) so their interpretation of that day is going to look very bad if not :lazy::lazy:

But I have not signed any release forms so can only hope that they cut that from the show. Btw does anyone know how the BBC Works with regards to getting things signed off from contributors because all the other shows I have done have had you sign your life away ??

Jo works at the Beeb so she might know ?

Edit: Btw I should have known what the show would be like when the Director castigated me for mentioning MCS (27th June French Imports) and made me shoot a scene about 5 times :rofl::rofl: Saying the Great British Public would not understand such technical words

Posted

give them a break!! not every member of the public is a member of netweather! if it was on BBC2 at 10.30 then yes, you would be right in saying it was rubbish. however, it was a half decent attempt in explaining to everyone from the 'chavs' upwards, as to how the weather works. as it happens, had it been filmed about 6 weeks ago, i probably would have been one of those 'chavs' on the beach (otherwise known as holidaymakers) as i was there. i was fully expecting a 'dumbed down' light hearted look at the weather. if you were expecting a scientific documentary then more fool you!!

Posted

I have to admit it was dumbed down and patronising at times but anyone will know when you get Chris Hollins and Carol Kirkwood together, then you can expect a Blue Peter type of performance and unfortunately that what we got.

However there were some good bits, I liked the Micro-climate bit and the testing out the theory of the red sky at night and Tomasz perhaps teaching some people why that theory seems fairly accurate in many ways.

I must say though, If I missed the programme because I simply forgotten, I wouldnt of been too dissapointed so it could be alot better, no-where near as good as the proper weather show we get on the News Channel which seems more grown up and thats even with Carol Kirkwood in it!

Posted

Looking at the production it seems 'Love productions' may be your best chance of establishing any contractual finalisation plans, or at least obtaining the necessary FOI rights to find which show the editors might be including your footage in. I haven't got much experience in legislative knowledge so it may be a case of having to fight the BBC/Love Productions version of events over your own if you manage to find out they've somehow spun the section against you.

Given the complete tripe I saw for 25 minutes tonight though, I'm not holding my breath on any honesty given Love Productions are also the same 'Reality TV' team who filmed Britain's Youngest Grannies. Sigh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Bobbydog IMHO, puts it perfectly in his post (no.32). :good: As it was not a scientific documentary and being as it's a live show, you will always get some lunatics lurking in the background but also some who are generally interested as well.

Some sections of the first episode were like "show grannie how to suck eggs" for folk in here but a fair part of the program also had some good SCIENCE in it. The problem is that most of the TV tripe comes from a media constantly watching it's own backside and which also has to prop up audience figures and salaries of it's presenters with the downside being uneducational crap. Sorry, but perhaps that's for another day? :oops:

The point I would say is that if it gets us Netweather folk and others from within our proud country talking about the weather (for a change) then so be it.

I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode and beyond.

Slightly off topic, I wonder what/who :whistling: may have been responsible for getting Chris Hollins more interested in this weather melarkey, one thing I'm sure it was not Carol Kirkwood but a certain .................need I say more? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Bobbydog IMHO, puts it perfectly in his post (no.32). :good: As it was not a scientific documentary and being as it's a live show, you will always get some lunatics lurking in the background but also some who are generally interested as well.

Some sections of the first episode were like "show grannie how to suck eggs" for folk in here but a fair part of the program also had some good SCIENCE in it. The problem is that most of the TV tripe comes from a media constantly watching it's own backside and which also has to prop up audience figures and salaries of it's presenters with the downside being uneducational crap. Sorry, but perhaps that's for another day? :oops:

The point I would say is that if it gets us Netweather folk and others from within our proud country talking about the weather (for a change) then so be it.

I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode and beyond.

Slightly off topic, I wonder what/who :whistling: may have been responsible for getting Chris Hollins more interested in this weather melarkey, one thing I'm sure it was not Carol Kirkwood but a certain .................need I say more? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

i'm glad someone agrees with me! :good:

Posted

Lets be honest here, it was shown at prime time, it was always going to be targetted at those with little knowledge of the weather not the "know it alls" on here.

The bit about the D-day landing was interesting, has there ever been a book written on it?

Also, they mentioned that the Uk is only influenced by 4 air masses, I always thought it was 5, namely, Tropical Continental, Tropical Maritime, Polar Continental, Polar Maritime and Arctic.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

I'm not too fussed about the dumbing down in the respect of having rugby players showing how the different airmasses collided etc, it was just the patronising Blue Peter childishness style of presenting by Carol and Chris. These two have been critisized before for their patronising style of banter at Royal Ascot and this was no different but as I've said, I kinda feared this when I saw the promo and seeing them two together.

I also don't have a problem about having a crowd behind them, it added to the carnival looking atmosphere and no one was mis-behaving or anything in fairness and lets be honest, I'd watched some weather documentaries in the past which were serious but incredibly dull so we don't always have to go down the serious route but lets not go too overboard with it.

Posted

The bit about the D-day landing was interesting, has there ever been a book written on it?

Dr. Stagg himself wrote a short account of it. I used to have a copy which unfortunately I can't find. What wasn't mentioned was that the American forecasters disagreed with his assessment. Stagg went for the brief window. Took some bottle although I'm not sure about the weather ship connection.

Posted

Disappointing, but that's hardly a surprise given the BBC's current policy of producing science-lite versions of science programmes, fronted by personalities (James May on the human body and astronomy, for example), as opposed to those done in collaboration with the OU, some of which are good. Sometimes it works, but for me, this was shallow and uninformative. There were minor factual errors as well (basking sharks are apparently the biggest beasts in the Atlantic, plus conflation of the Gulf Stream with the North Atlantic Drift).

An opportunity missed, but then perhaps it wasn't meant to address the interested.

Posted

give them a break!! not every member of the public is a member of netweather! if it was on BBC2 at 10.30 then yes, you would be right in saying it was rubbish.

No, weather forecasts and forecasting programmes have been dumbed down steadily for ages!

Posted

No, weather forecasts and forecasting programmes have been dumbed down steadily for ages!

probably because the general public usually don't want to know why the weather happens, they just want to know what will happen. this programme was an attempt to change that by putting it in the simplest possible terms, to try to capture some interest in those who are generally not interested.

i'm sure some people on here expected a televised version of the model output discussion!!!

Posted

Dr. Stagg himself wrote a short account of it. I used to have a copy which unfortunately I can't find. What wasn't mentioned was that the American forecasters disagreed with his assessment. Stagg went for the brief window. Took some bottle although I'm not sure about the weather ship connection.

Aye, sounds like an interesting story.

One thing that had me pondering about drawing up weather charts during the war was that the the Met Office would not have had much information on weather conditions in occupied parts of Europe and Japanese occupied South East Asia, so how were they able to cope? Also did the Russians provide them with weather information?

No doubt bombers on raids would provide some information but how accurate would that be?

Posted

Mosquito aircraft were used to provide weather data over occupied Europe.

A dedicated squadron did flights into the Atrlantic every day. Coast had a complete thread in which much of this data was posted.

No idea about the far east.

Posted

i'm sure some people on here expected a televised version of the model output discussion!!!

I think you're alone in that idea Bobby. Most on here regard BBC forecasts as dumbed-down versions of their former selves and any programme fronted by Carol, a sports presenter and a comedian can't have been expected to be at a level guaranteed to appear to the knowledgeable (They're doing the same for arts coverage).

Deakin on BBC1 has just said "blusterous". Is this a real word?

Posted

quite a lot and a fair bit about the forecasts leading in to the D-Day landings, they were postponed due to anticipated bad weather then given the go ahead by Stagg the chief Met O forecaster who Eisenhower seemed to trust more than his own folk. As I've posted elsewhere Coast did a whole thread for the whole period of the BoB and some of the Met stuff was put in there. I will try and dig out the Met O publication about Stagg and the D-D landings.

Posted

quite a lot and a fair bit about the forecasts leading in to the D-Day landings, they were postponed due to anticipated bad weather then given the go ahead by Stagg the chief Met O forecaster who Eisenhower seemed to trust more than his own folk. As I've posted elsewhere Coast did a whole thread for the whole period of the BoB and some of the Met stuff was put in there. I will try and dig out the Met O publication about Stagg and the D-D landings.

It's here :)

Posted

I got pretty bored with the childish presenting by Carol and Chris, I hope they take some feedback from tonight's show and improve the presenting styles for the next episode in the series.

You can see the difference between live/pre-recorded presenting though quite clearly as they switch between pre-recorded clips and then back to the live show, the pre-recorded stuff is much more professional, mainly due to the fact that there aren't any distractions, but even so, seemed to be a lot of bumbling and faffing about tonight.

Edited by cmimrie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Deakin on BBC1 has just said "blusterous". Is this a real word?

Hi CR,

What actually shocks me :shok: is that people with the knowledge, such as us internet forum users etc, will still watch these forecasts. :whistling:

Ok, I admit, the only time I may watch one is if I happen to be passing the TV and the forecast is on BBC N24 for example or maybe even in other situations? alas pretty rarely.

For more detailed knowledge and a steep learning curve about the SCIENTIFIC side of things, this place and my books tell me ALL I NEED TO KNOW. :drinks:

Kind Regards

PS! I would like to congratulate snowmadsam once again for starting the thread and also I like the other debates the programme has begun. :clap:

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather