Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

17 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

Got a heavy shower passing over, I think there is distant thunder but unsure. As soon as a shower or storm comes near I always have planes going over or other background noises so hard to make out any thunder at times.

Planes and wheelie bins should be banned!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I know the feeling lol! I generally try to err on the side of not noting a "day of thunder heard" unless I can verify for certain that it was thunder, though it can be hard to stay fully objective in these situations.

Posted

Well its convective related as sunset is still 2 hours away yet its already 'twilight' here, in what should be clear sunlight. Infact its been that way althroughout this afternoon here in the Pennines as the main front has moved over.

I feel more sorry for the homeowners in Wales, Scotland and other places I may have missed out. Some consistent rainfall ongoing throughout all of today and this LP system isn't going anywhere fast even into the week, its just topographic lifting after more topographic lifting to come.

I think your second one is still very good, you can certainly see the lightning strike clearly. Personally I "cheat" and take videos where the camera is pointed in the direction of where I think the lightning is coming from, and when I capture the lightning I extract the relevant frames of the video using VirtualDub. The upside of this is a significantly increased success rate with capturing lightning but the downside is lower resolution photos. Anyway just thought I'd let people know about my method as it's a possible alternative for those who get frustrated trying to photograph lightning.

I haven't heard any thunder at Cleadon today, but there were some impressive cloud formations in the last batch of showers- I caught a moderate shower here with a rainbow but there seemed to be much heavier stuff just to the north-west.

Yes with HD quality video now on many budget cameras and camcorders it can be pretty easy getting decent quality lightning stills. The difficult part is getting the lightning in the first place! :lol:

Posted

Well I should have thought about that. I was using a remote shutter, shooting in RAW on my Nikon D3100 but just rushed out as I hadn't been home long, was watching a storm come in from my back garden and thought, i;ll just check round the front too and there was the bulk of the storm. Rushed in grabbed my camera, tripod and a plastic bag (to cover from rain) and went up the road and snapped some photos. My camera is HD so should have got some video footage. Didn't think about it at the time :wallbash:

BTW the photos had to be edited to get a half decent exposure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I want more storms! i've only had one so far! North East get them every bloody day as well as tons of snow! Rant Over!

Posted

I think its just Jane Louise, Phil and me left in the NSC now.

I like it in there. 8) And I can't see myself coming out of there anytime soon.

What looked like a promising weekend with pyrotechnical atmospherics has so far turned out to be a total damp squib. So the Solihull Storm Shield holds firm. (It did for all of Summer 2007!)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Fail!

DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

DSC_0174_01.jpg

Daytime lightning shots are way difficult. Didn't help I left my ND8 filter at home. Was pretty gutted.

There is lightning on the pic, its quite good for daytime! , taken at the top of Barton hill i am guessing...

Fail!

DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

DSC_0174_01.jpg

Daytime lightning shots are way difficult. Didn't help I left my ND8 filter at home. Was pretty gutted.

Fail!

DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

DSC_0174_01.jpg

Posted

There is lightning on the pic, its quite good for daytime! , taken at the top of Barton hill i am guessing...

Well just beyond Barton Hill. The back road to Gt Barton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Well just beyond Barton Hill. The back road to Gt Barton

Fingers crossed for next week, impressive updraught base with this storm ,i may put some pics in my gallery from today, saw several cg's and c-cs as it moved away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I like it in there. 8) And I can't see myself coming out of there anytime soon.

What looked like a promising weekend with pyrotechnical atmospherics has so far turned out to be a total damp squib. So the Solihull Storm Shield holds firm. (It did for all of Summer 2007!)

Phil.

Glad you are happy in there, you're getting the beers in tonight, JL has got some good DVD's (think they about what its like to experience a storm, or something like that?) and I'm on the door to keep any gloaters from Scotland and the North East out :D

Posted

Fresh thread for tomorrow's activity: