Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

22 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Friday some convective action looks possible! worth checking out as Met Office update mentions heavy showers and even thundery in the SE(latest updates), not sure about elsewhere as not looked around all areas, and not checked data, so i expect to be upgraded for my region at least :whistling:

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

There is potential today.

Here's the skew-t from Thurs GFS 18z, for London Heathrow,

post-5986-0-00090400-1311312459_thumb.gi

Convective cloud cover to at least 6,300m so cloud heights of over 5km giving rise to some 400j/kg CAPE, but still neutral LI, which is -0.

This chart indicates likely thunderstorms (TT=48) in a rather small convective potential environment (K=25, on the boundary to moderate potential)

The trigger should either be surface heating or the rather nice convergence zone setting up from about Cumbria to just East of the Isle of Wight - although the best of this is in the channel, and any storms that form down this line will float SSE,

post-5986-0-42048000-1311313060_thumb.pnpost-5986-0-16685000-1311313073_thumb.gi

SE's chances are for an odd air-source - a halfway house between Arctic Maritime and Arctic Continental (I'd plump for Am, in this instance),

post-5986-0-34924400-1311313300_thumb.gi

which is normally unstable and moist.

Interesting - certainly a radar watching day. My guess for best chances of storms have to be the very West of the SE quadrant - say a triangle of Southampton-Reading-Brighton. Perhaps the more easterly part of that triangle as showers will need to get there in the first place on a slack northerly.

I must note that GFS puts the precipitation to the West of the convergence line not to the East almost certainly related to the 700hPa VV chart,

post-5986-0-98536900-1311314030_thumb.gipost-5986-0-44330200-1311314080_thumb.gi

giving rise to the best showers of the day being home grown and not related to the macro-scale air mass situation. We shall see, I guess - perhaps both regions have (small) chances.

Happy Hunting!

:)

Edited by Sparticle

Posted

Understandably ESTOFEX have nothing for us today, UKASF have a very low risk:

post-6667-0-79084200-1311317092.jpg

Forecaster: Dan

Last Updated: 19:39 Thursday, 21st July 2011

Valid: 00:00 Friday, 22nd July 2011 - 23:59 Friday, 22nd July 2011

Areas Affected:

Scottish Borders, N England, E Wales, Midlands, East Anglia, West Country, SE and CS England

Synopsis:

A very negatively-tiled upper trough will be located over much of northern and eastern Europe, whilst an upper ridge continues to build over the North Atlantic and Ireland during the day. A rather slack surface northwesterly airflow will create some marginally unstable conditions across the United Kingdom once again.

Discussion:

Similar to Thursday, convection initiation will rely heavily upon surface heating given a lack of additional external forcing. It is noted that model guidance suggests better amounts of insolation given less cloud cover expected compared to Thursday, and so convection may start earlier in the day. As a result, quite a few scattered showers are expected, some heavy, and given light winds both surface and upper, such showers will be slow moving and may give locally large rainfall totals.

The risk of lightning (and thunder) is very low, especially considering the lack of any detected lightning on Thursday. Currently, the best potential for isolated lightning appears to be associated with the surface trough that is forecast to develop, primarily over the Peak District into the East Midlands with ELT's potentially as low as -20C, but even this risk is quite low.

DLS is more pronounced across Wales and SW England, with up to 40kts possible, spreading into the Midlands later in the afternoon and into the evening. LLS remains rather weak, however, and this combined with weak CAPE (just 200 J/kg) limits the risk of severe weather. At best, a convergence-induced funnel may be possible.

Showers that do develop will slowly decrease in coverage during the evening hours.

SkyWarn have no particular threat highlighted

Severe Weather Risk: Low

Heavy showers for inland Wales, Western and Southern parts of mainland UK. Elsewhere cloudy and cool with occasional light showers.

Cindy still on her way!

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_24.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_12_00Z.png

PGNE14_CL.gif

A little bit of something on the KO index:

30_19.gif

Convective cloud minimal:

30_24.gif

CAPE minimal at best:

cape.curr.1300lst.d2.png

Shear over Wales

gfs_icape_eur12.png

and convergence:

gfs_layer_eur12.png

Rain:

gfs_kili_eur12.png

gfs_lapse_eur12.png

gfs_pw_eur12.png

Very low possibilities today, but if I had to pick a place I would say Wales (ish!) and the Midlands

post-6667-0-79084200-1311317092_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Some very beefy showers in wales already!

someones gonna get a soaking today.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very heavy and prolonged showers this morning with 8mm past hour.

Posted

for those going on holiday this weekend to Cornwall North Devon anywhere facing the Atlantic,

TS Cindy or EXTS Cindy may make for quite a large swell i haven't checked any of the surf models/forecasts but i suspect there may be big surf so watch out if going in the sea, for those more land lubber types, may produce some good wave photo opportunities as the swells hit headlands, harbour walls etc. just do not get too close and put yourself in danger of being swept away if it does happen

oops meant to post this in tropical storm thread never mind,

reference too Coasts comment in his post above "Cindy still on her way!"

Edited by gpspete

Posted

I think Central Southern England may see something from around 3pm into early evening. There are some really nice wind convergence showing up on the charts today I feel its one to watch as it could prove to be an evening up on Portsdown hill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

MetO keen for heavy rain to break out across the SE corner, including London, tonight.

They do have a lightning symbol across E Kent early in the night also.

GFS however, is keen to break out precip but not as heavy as MetO....

Thoughts?

Edited by Harry

Posted

Thoughts?

BBC local weather had 'Thundery Showers' again this morning. I think they just trot that one out now and again to keep us on our toes!

Who is Rachel Mackley BTW?

weather_682_1254690a.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Could be some rumblings in Silicon Valley, later on? :blush:

Posted

MetO keen for heavy rain to break out across the SE corner, including London, tonight.

They do have a lightning symbol across E Kent early in the night also.

GFS however, is keen to break out precip but not as heavy as MetO....

Thoughts?

Certainly heavy showers, I'd say - with maybe a 30% chance of a few of them giving us a lightshow ...

Posted

Who is Rachel Mackley BTW?

Why has she got Pyrex dishes shoved up her top? Although Rachel does grab my attention slightly more than Carol Kirkwood!

Posted

Sorry to derail the thread, I think she's ex-ITV. I'd like to hear her explanation of a warm front moving in :whistling:

Back on topic, looks like convective rain later this afternoon in the SE over me!

gfs_kili_eur18.png

Posted

She is beautiful, that dress really does do her justice, why is she not on my tv?

Right back on topic or more to the point back to doing some work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

the met has posted somthing for me today

Tonight:Scattered heavy and thundery showers this evening, especially across Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire initially and then later Essex.

Lying laminate floors why get my hopes up like that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Why has she got Pyrex dishes shoved up her top? Although Rachel does grab my attention slightly more than Carol Kirkwood!

A couple of features to watch out for there, a new forecast system being developed with built-in satellite dishes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just like yesterday I cannot see any Thundery potential today. Very little Cape, poor lapse rates, poor Equilibrium level temperature etc. However, heavy showers quite likely especially through Birmingham, London, Kent/Sussex this evening imo.

My hotspot for storms today: Nowhere. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Just like yesterday I cannot see any Thundery potential today. Very little Cape, poor lapse rates, poor Equilibrium level temperature etc. However, heavy showers quite likely especially through Birmingham, London, Kent/Sussex this evening imo.

My hotspot for storms today: Nowhere. :lol:

I agree but still a chance of a funnel cloud developing in southern coastal areas..

Posted

Well thats brightened up my day here. Fingers crossed for heavy showers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Bloody stalkers lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

<----- desperately seeking a hot male forecaster :whistling:

Anyway, back on topic, bloomin' warm here in the sun with little breeeze (making it a good day for flutterbies in my garden). Weather station currently says 21.4oC & 53% humidity

Guest Quantumsnow

Ey-up lads what's happened to the storm thread? I might have to deploy that 'Schafernaker' half naked front cover pic to cool things down a bit :D

Better make it on topic, few convective type clouds here, but nothing too noteworthy.

Edited by Quantumsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

What's with the pictures of the girl?

Posted

The showery area across Wales and the West Country seems to be starting to edge slowly East while the showers continue to

run slowly from NNW-SSE along the trough.

What's with the pictures of the girl?

Don't know, not sure at all. Seems ridiculously off topic and unneccessary to me.