Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Weather You Want

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Their are times when im watching out of the window enjoying an intense and exciting downpour, their are other times im out in town and one turns up when im going to get soaked, i think to myself as i watch the dark skies roll in..just hold off for a bit longer until i get under shelter, its like i want it to do what i want when i want it to-which is quite true, because i enjoy the weather action and get excited but i dont want to get drenched. what about stuck in a meeting while a storm rumbles in! arhhhhh! i would have to escape! its like at school i was always weather watching out the window and the excuse to the teacher was..im thinking what to write :lol: , i would not miss the breakfast forecast so i knew what to expect!

So whats your experiences of not being in the right place at the time of the weather action, maybe you were stuck in a meeting during a thunderstorm, or caught out in a torrential downpour that you were radar watching for but it turned up at the wrong time.

please chat about it here!

Posted

I certainly have some experience with this!

During 2009, virtually the only decent thunderstorm over my location occurred on the 15th June at sometime about 2:30-3:15pm

GCSE exam: 15th June 2:15-3:30.

8th September 2010, the only overhead thunderstorm that year, there had been rumbling in the distance much of lunch, and as it was the start of the school year I then learnt that year 12/13 had to go to the sports hall to decide PE classes and if they wanted to do it (this happened to have no windows what so ever)

Time of meeting in sports centre: 2:30 to about 3:10

Thunderstorm near/overhead: 2:45-3:15

Although with this one I managed to catch 3 decent rumbles and 1 flash when I got out, and see the end of the heavy downpour though missed the best/worst.

Thankfully I was not stuck somewhere for the evening T-storms of the 6th may this year.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I had one in Lancaster on the 18th June 2004 when I chose to return some books to the library. It took a lot longer than expected, and while I was in the library (which had no windows and was well sound-proofed from the elements) a cumulonimbus cell sprouted up over the Lake District. I came outside to torrential rain and was informed that there had been a thunderstorm just before I left the library.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Leaving Dundee (New Years eve-ish 1996/96, really can't remember the exact date) to return home to North Yorkshire. It started to snow as we left, just the odd flake drifting around in a bitter NE wind, nothing major forecast so we didn't think anything of it. As we drove it got heavier, and heavier and heavier, the washers froze solid, the roads including motorways got ever increasingly more difficult. What should have taken 5-ish hours eventually took just over 13 hours - three young children and an Old English Sheepdog all cooped up in the car with nothing to eat or drink. It really was hellish.

All forgotten the next morning though as we woke to about a foot and a half of pristine powder snow with crystal clear blue skies :yahoo:

Posted

I missed three consecutive days of heavy convective storms in England when I jetted off to Rome for the week in 2007. At least I got some heat though.

I missed a really good thunderstorm in Lincoln when I went to France for a week in early August 2008.

I moved from Berkshire to Peak District in the spring of the year of the 100 degree heatwave in August 2003 in SE England - so the highest I got to experience was a mere 31c here.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Anytime a heavy period of snow has fallen overnight whilst asleep only to awake to see it all melting fast. Or being fast asleep during an intense thunderstorm when everyone says did you see the lightning last night and you say no- I was fast asleep.

Anytime when you are stuck at work and it is snowing heavily outside (I live very local to work so have no excuse to have go home..), or a lovely blue sky summers day again when you are stuck at work and can't make the most of it.

I've also been caught out on too many occasions when a sudden downpour has appeared from nowhere - worse place for this is out on the fells just at the end of a dry days walking when you thought you got away from it but alas it catches you out last minute - very frustrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Biggest one for me is how you can have some lovely sunny & warm weather for a few days only for it to break down about 4pm Friday afternoon so by the time you're outside the pub its gone grey and a nippy wind has set in. Then it rains all day Saturday & most of Sunday. This is exactly the weather from the other week!

Or maybe the way it'll stay dry all day but then rain rolls in just before 5pm so I have to cycle home in it (if it's going to rain - 5pm, especially in summer, is the time it'll do it).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

During the february 2009 snowstorm i stayed up most of night watching it, but the heaviest period where it fell like a blanket of dense fog late early hours i fell a sleep, it was the reports i read about the intensity with people that witnessed it at that stage, it was torrential snow around 1-3am and heavier after that and i missed it! then with 16-18inches around the next morning to play in i was then to shattered to make any snow people. :lazy: i wanted to go to sleep but was shocked at the massive and rare fall of snow. the thing is we get to late night and very tired usually anyway so staying up to watch an event is hard, and for the build up of excitement through the day(model watching/forums) can actually tire you out with excitement, so the next day no wonder everyone is shattered! so whats the best time for a weather event? thats hard to answer, as we can get stuck in snowfall if its in the day, and to tired late at night, so maybe the evening after work? its different for everyone i think.

also waiting for thunderstorms to turn up at night, i remember times in the old days(only then not anymore!)when they really were coming! that id wait for the French imports to head up from France(of course!)and the LW radio crackling away, then seeing flashing on the south horizon, until the deep rumbles came and it would slowly move in, and it would take from around 12/1am until 3/4am to arrive, then i would get to shattered to watch it all, but i usually did because i would have teas and snacks and stand outside in the hot humid air watching the storms, usually with no rain for ages, i would then miss the storms moving away as i just could not stay up any longer.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

February 2009 might be one for me. Massive snow depths just a few miles south in Gloucestershire, yet the deepest we had at any point that spell was 6 cm. Okay, not as bad as not getting snow at all -- being in the 1% of the country that didn't get any in Jan 2010 must have been far worse. Still very annoying, though. Also, the wonderful aurora display from a few years ago -- I can't remember the year; might have been around 2001. But not only was there 100% cloud cover and drizzle all night in my location, I also had horrible flu and could barely walk to the window anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

During my Lancaster University days, when I alternated between Lancaster and Cleadon, I had terrible luck with snow in particular. Cleadon had two of its heaviest snowfalls since February 1991 while I was in Lancaster, while on Christmas Day 2004, I was on holiday in Cleadon where it stayed dry and sunny while Lancaster had a white Christmas with sunshine, snow showers and increasing amounts of snow cover.

I had another taste of this in Norwich last December- there was a mix of sun and snow showers until the 29th November, but the snow partly melted and refroze that night, and the next few days had Norwich in a dry and mostly cloudy zone between two belts of sunshine and snow showers, with a useless and irritating thin layer of ice on the ground. Meanwhile, Cleadon had its most amazing spell of sunshine and snow showers since I began observing the weather, with thundersnow on two days and a total snow depth of 27cm.

However, I think my luck has generally balanced out over the years (e.g. I got very lucky for exciting weather during my spell in Exeter during January-June 2009) so I don't consider myself hard done by overall- rather, I've spectacularly "won" some but also "lost" some just as spectacularly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Massive snowfalls and equally massive thunderstorms...

And, BTW ESS, have you sent this topic's title off to Status Quo's lyrics man, yet? The Weather you Want... :drunk:

Posted

Massive snowfalls and equally massive thunderstorms...

And, BTW ESS, have you sent this topic's title off to Status Quo's lyrics man, yet? The Weather you Want... :drunk:

no but i would add in the above line to the song!:lol: . the title is quite catchy, it proberly would work for a song.

-

another thing that must affect some as it has myself is the"oh no i left my camera at home" line, now this has happened a fair few times over the years, but not so much these days as i always know what to expect all day as we have mobile phone radars and the forums, so we don't miss any updates!and of course many have camera phones that are very high quality.

Posted

something else that happens(as what TWS and others have experienced) is being in a different place at a time when something interesting is happening where you would otherwise be, or the other way round, the same applies to being on holiday, their was a time around 10 years ago during a late south coast holiday in october a long lasting thunderstorm moved along the channel, with rare rocket lightning sweeping from one side to another, it went on for a hours with a strong cold wind, but nothing inland, most likely late warm sea-cool land type, so i was very happy to see that display, and sometimes things can be at home while your not there, and i think that way round is more frustrating, because i like my weather action to be at my home town.