Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Weather And General Chat

Dorsetbred

Posted

One word can describe this morning. Gloom. Stratus at 200ft with fog and continuous slight rain. Temp. 16C, humidity 100% with a slight wind from 340deg.

That chart answers why there was a spell of heavy rain between 08.30-10.00 which the radar shows as having embedded cells approaching 20mm per hour rate.

The day had started cloudy/dry and then turned warm/mostly sunny after the rain, however that 90 minute period was most unexpected - not for the fact it

rained because light showers had been forecast, but for the fact it poured down!

22.0c at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Temperature continuing to climb and clouds becoming more sparse, currently 23.1C and 53% humidity.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Cloudy this morning but a lovely warm sunny afternoon 20c perfect.

Posted

Cloudy and 19.8°C here, I imagine that will go above 20°C soon enough. Earlier, the cloud broke slightly, but now we're covered in grey again. Temperatures still 1-2°C below average.

Posted

Cloud has overtaken again with some very stormy looking skies here at work. Still warm though at 20.4 DgC

Posted

I feel EeasmanG you should consider retracting your premature whine in the whining thread about it being "bone chilling" today!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Long sunny spells, 24.3C, this is also the max so far. yahoo.gif

Posted

It almost makes anyone this side of the Pennines want to cry reading some of the reports!

Touch of NE to the winds here and goodbye the yellow thing in the sky-my Davis suggests it ALMOST reached 20C here before falling back to 18.1C. IF I take a pair of binoculars and look VERY carefully I THINK I can just about make out a chink of blue, possibly even 2 of them!

Anyone who welcomes a NE flow, this side of the hills anyway, does seriously want their heads examining.

The only exception is a good cold flow of that direction in winter which gives the sunshine and snow showers for this area-a rare beast.

Now 20°C here. Sun out in full force.

and you spend so much time complaining about your weather-try sunny donny as you seem to want to move from the lovely Peak District!

Posted

It almost makes anyone this side of the Pennines want to cry reading some of the reports!

Touch of NE to the winds here and goodbye the yellow thing in the sky-my Davis suggests it ALMOST reached 20C here before falling back to 18.1C. IF I take a pair of binoculars and look VERY carefully I THINK I can just about make out a chink of blue, possibly even 2 of them!

Anyone who welcomes a NE flow, this side of the hills anyway, does seriously want their heads examining.

The only exception is a good cold flow of that direction in winter which gives the sunshine and snow showers for this area-a rare beast.

and you spend so much time complaining about your weather-try sunny donny as you seem to want to move from the lovely Peak District!

I used to live in Lincoln (not far from "Donny" is it?) and that side of the country has 300hrs more annual sunshine and half the rainfall than we do, and 3°C high temps in summer, so what that you get one worse day than us, hardly the complete picture is it duh...

And anyway I'm not complaining today, I'm rather enjoying seeing sunshine and 20°C, long may it continue!!

Posted

E I think your memory is playing you tricks regarding how many days N Sea cloud, be it St or Sc sheets affect this and the Lincoln area. Certainly double figures on average and some years well into 20-30 days in the year. Not sure how often that affects where you are living but it sure takes the temperature down, just look at your value and mine and you are supposed, (height reason), to be about 3C below mine at sea level (well all of 40 ft here).

Posted

E I think your memory is playing you tricks regarding how many days N Sea cloud, be it St or Sc sheets affect this and the Lincoln area. Certainly double figures on average and some years well into 20-30 days in the year. Not sure how often that affects where you are living but it sure takes the temperature down, just look at your value and mine and you are supposed, (height reason), to be about 3C below mine at sea level (well all of 40 ft here).

I certainly remember the days in Lincoln when we got north sea cloud, but it was usually in March - April and by my weather records I enjoyed avg. maxes circa 21°C and 50% more sunshine than my current location. North sea cloud rarely seemed to affect that area much in summer. I'd say this summer has had a lot more NE winds than usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A mostly cloudy day but feeling fairly pleasant with a max of 21.4c.

Had a tiny bit of sunshine this afternoon - be good to get some proper sun as my house is stuck at 20.5c - be nice if it were 21.5c+. Hopefully tomorrow...

Posted

Latest Temp here in Hull a poor 16.6c with a gusty wind making it feel chilly.

To cold to have the patio door open to the garden, even indoor temp down to 19.0c

Warmer in Lapland at the moment :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the frequency of north-easterlies has been at all unusual so far this summer- indeed June if anything had slightly more westerlies than usual, which is why north-east England ended up one of the few regions with fractionally above-average temperatures. In June 2007, persistent easterly winds resulted in a near-continuous stratus sheet over Tyneside during the first half of the month, while in June 2009, low cloud persisted there throughout the last week.

The starkest example though was probably July 2000 when most of the eastern half of Britain was frequently affected by low cloud from the North Sea due to north-easterly winds. East Anglia was most heavily affected with just 97 hours of sunshine at Lowestoft and maximum temperatures some 2-3C down on the 1961-90 average at Norwich, but areas as far apart as Aberdeen, Durham and Lincoln were cold and exceptionally cloudy.

Posted

The starkest example though was probably July 2000 when most of the eastern half of Britain was frequently affected by low cloud from the North Sea due to north-easterly winds. East Anglia was most heavily affected with just 97 hours of sunshine at Lowestoft and maximum temperatures some 2-3C down on the 1961-90 average at Norwich, but areas as far apart as Aberdeen, Durham and Lincoln were cold and exceptionally cloudy.

I lived in Berkshire back in those days.

In early June 2007 the easterly period brought nothing but sunshine and heat in Lincoln, places further north might well have been stuck under the low cloud but we weren't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

June 2007 had more of a straight easterly which could explain that- generally speaking easterlies bring less low cloud the further south you are, due to the shorter track over the North Sea, whereas north-easterlies have a long sea track and thus bring more widespread cloud further south- the same factors that contribute to north-easterlies bringing a higher incidence of "sunshine and snow showers" setups in winter than direct easterly flows.

I have a similar opinion of north-easterlies to what John described above- I get a sinking feeling when I see them on the charts unless they're accompanied by a large cold upper pool conducive to sunshine and snow showers, in which case the opposite happens. This didn't apply when I lived on the other side of high ground (Lancaster, Exeter) but I felt this way to a lesser extent when at Norwich and Leeds too, as sometimes the cloud sheets do get as far west as Leeds (e.g. August 2006).

Meanwhile the temperature at Cleadon has reached 16.1C, with the same stratocumulus sheet overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Pressure 1012.3hPa

Temp 22.4c

Max Temp 22.4c

Min Temp 14.2c

Humidity 66%

Dewpoint 15.4c

Rainfall 0.0mm

Monthly Rainfall 73.5mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Clear at last in time for it to cool off and too late to catch any sun in my house (next place I moved to needs evening in preference to morning sun!)

18.9c out.

A mixed start with cloud and sunny spells, but after 11am, the sun came out and it has been glorious with wall to wall sunshine 23c in Mumbles and 26c on the car thermometer.

Monday mix of cloud and sunny spells

Sunday mostly cloudy and very disappointing with only a few chinks of sunshine after very early sunny spells.

Certainly the best July locally since 2006 and by far the driest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A dry day. Cloudy at first but with sunny intervals from about 1000 g.m.t, continuing during the afternoon.

At 1800 g.m.t;

Temp', 16.6c

Max' today, 18.4c

Min' last night, 10.6c

Grass min', 6.4c

Rainfall from 0800-1800 g.m.t, nil

Sunshine today so far, 3.52 hrs

Mean wind speed, 6 mph NE

Highest gust today, 20 mph NE at 1307 g.m.t

4 oktas Cu humilis, Scu and Acu lenticularis

Vis', 40 km.

Posted

Mostly cloudy last night.

Rather cloudy but bright this morning. Brilliantly sunny pm. Moderate NNW breeze, rather warm.

Min: 12.2c @ 0600

Max: 20.4c @ 1430

Trace rain yesterday/ dry today.

Currently: Sunny, cooling off

Temp: 15.7c

RH: 72%

Pressure: 1019mbar, rising slowly.

Posted

Very similar day to yesterday with plenty of sunshine this morning then a cloudier afternoon with a high of 21c.

Currently 90% cloudcover and absolutely no breeze whatsoever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Still sunny and warm here with a temp of 20c