Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Holiday Pictures From Switzerland

Hi all been away for most of July and some of that time was spent in a place called Zermatt in Switzerland. Weather was interesting cool at night got down to 3c or 4c on clear nights and reached up to 30c during the day. We had a total of 8 thunderstorms in the week I stayed there.

Matterhorn which is 4,478 m (14,692 ft),

View from the apartment,

The town center one of the thunderstorms were very close by one day and a strike hit the tower of the church I was close to it at the time saw a big flash and heard the thunder straight away. The strike was followed by heavy hail for 5 minutes and it cleared up again. Locals say it happens all the time in the summer.

They don't drive cars in Zermatt because pollution would block the view of the mountains so instead they run electrical cars I went in one very fun but a bit bumpy.

View again from apartment,

Sunrise light hitting the Matterhorn,

The town,

A train that takes about an hour leaves Zermatt and goes to the very top of one of the mountains.

When you arrive you are greeted by fantastic views of the snowy alps. At nearly 11,000ft above sea level the air was a bit thin and temperature was 3c. But the air was so clear and the sun was very warm.

And the final photo shows the building at the top of the mountain its a hotel where you can stay. Loads of people go there to eat and I had lunch there was great. They have a few weather stations on the mountain one on the roof of the hotel. Also they have two telescopes attached to the hotel.

Posted

Great pictures Weathermaster, thanks for sharing them with us.

I was thinking of returning to Switzerland next year for a family holiday. Would you say that Zermatt is only really a place for Ski enthusiasts, or does it have a wider appeal in your opinion? Your pictures make it look very tempting as a destination!

Bish

Great pictures Weathermaster, thanks for sharing them with us.

I was thinking of returning to Switzerland next year for a family holiday. Would you say that Zermatt is only really a place for Ski enthusiasts, or does it have a wider appeal in your opinion? Your pictures make it look very tempting as a destination!

Bish

Most people do go there for Skiing. Zermatt has some more to offer though the town has many great shops. Places to visit is the local museum which was was great and you can go mountain biking and walks in the country side with the stunning views of the alps in the distance. The last thing you can do their is go on the train to the top of the mountain which is a great experience I went up there twice. One bad thing about it was very expensive.

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2