Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecasts, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

There's a big surprise :rolleyes: We had some bubbly cumulus building earlier but it suddenly turned cloudy and they flattened out. Currently 'convective junk' with some cumulus and a lot of spread out mid-level stuff. It better get it's act together fast if much is going to happen here.

Tomorrow all the heavy showers/storms nearly always avoid my area in the wind direction predicted and cluster further north on the SW peninsula.

I'm beginning to think now that this may be a summer without even a single rumble of thunder here, something that some of the recent shocking years managed to avoid. [whinge over]

Its been a particularly bad year for storms down here, as you say not even a sniff of a rumble or flash of lightning. The previous 4yrs were bad enough, but at least I seen a distant flash of lightning & heard a few distant rumbles.

I wonder whats caused the sudden drop in convective weather in this part of the country!

Posted

Thunder heard to my south now distant but thunder all the same!! :drinks:

Hopefully you will enjoy what we have got, be patient, the show is about to start!! clap.gifThat thunder is like bomb.gif !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Lights flickering, not a good sign, non stop house rattling thunder every couple of minutes. Has it arrived on Tyneside yet,?

Not south of the river it hasn't, I can hear distant rumbling though it it still quite intense there? To my untrained eye it looks like a squall line might have developed?

Thunder getting louder now....

Posted

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

That's intense, which way is it all moving?

Posted

Sounds bad Mark, I love a good thunder storm as long as I don't get flooded or house hit by lightning.

Stay safe.

Thanks, its calmed down again rain wise, the thunder is still very much there, one rolling into another, the last time I saw a storm like this in intensity and length was in the summer of 2002 drinks.gif

Posted

South to North mate

Posted

Thanks, its calmed down again rain wise, the thunder is still very much there, one rolling into another, the last time I saw a storm like this in intensity and length was in the summer of 2002 :drinks:

Congrats :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

the sun has come out strong now, may be this can set something off. Temp 20c

Posted

you think that's bad. that mass of rain is only going to intensify, STALL over Northern England/Southern Scotland, and then slowly gradually move out into the North Sea by tomorrow morning. This is just the beginning of it hence why nearly every agency is putting out flood warnings for this event. Definitely one not to be underestimated and reinforces my advice earlier that if your in a flood-prone area. I'd (on the side of caution) best start putting the most expensive items, or those items of sentimental value to a higher level of your house. Just incase.

Posted

Hi Steve, that looks like two storms, the main one seems to run from Tynedale sw through Durham towards Darlington and the Tees Valley where it is breaking up with some action maybe left in North Yorks? It is definately dying off here now, it looks as if it will miss Newcastle and Gateshead? The northern system shown doesnt appear to be electric

Cheers

Mark

Posted

Its been a particularly bad year for storms down here, as you say not even a sniff of a rumble or flash of lightning. The previous 4yrs were bad enough, but at least I seen a distant flash of lightning & heard a few distant rumbles.

I wonder whats caused the sudden drop in convective weather in this part of the country!

Indeed it would be the first here without even a few distant rumbles in the summer quarter. I'm not sure what's caused it, we don't seem to have the right set ups for us with plumes being rare, and convective weather under Atlantic air flows too far north. This spring was the best spell since 2006 locally as there hasn't been much since then.

Got to go for a bit will see if anything happens later, maybe September will give something here?

Congrats to those getting storms that want them.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A few cells visually building to our West :clap:

Posted

Its moving south to north and intensifying all the time in association with that small low pressure.

Posted

Indeed it would be the first here without even a few distant rumbles in the summer quarter. I'm not sure what's caused it, we don't seem to have the right set ups for us with plumes being rare, and convective weather under Atlantic air flows too far north. This spring was the best spell since 2006 locally as there hasn't been much since then.

Got to go for a bit will see if anything happens later, maybe September will give something here?

Congrats to those getting storms that want them.

I'm not holding my breath.

Its moving south to north and intensifying all the time in association with that small low pressure.

Someone is going to be under an intense area of rain for a long period then I would have thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The rain has eased off for now but i fear there's worse to come yet, my concern is what's showing for later on today.

Posted

Neither am I to be honest.

That is some rain showing on the radar for N. England now :blink:

Flooding is going to be a real issue I would have thought.

Posted

The rain has eased off for now but i fear there's worse to come yet, my concern is what's showing for later on today.

What is showing Gavin? Thunder heard in the Washington area actually as I am typing lightning now! Deep boom of thunder :drinks:

Posted

Still waiting for any sign of a storm here in west middlands, I'm going to have a mini rant here. I'm absolutely sik and tired if the NE having a flipping storm fest, the best thing mist if us middlanders have had is dome rain falling at about 8mm/per hour and looking who's getting it again, the freaking NE! Oh and who will get the best snow in winter.... ummm the NE?

Posted

Just spotted a small needle funnel cloud over kilmarnock. Saw it behind a load of houses, managed to get a pic during a clearance but it had pretty managed dissipated by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm confused! When people say this rain will affect northern england do they mean just north east england IE the places that have it now, or does the risk include north west england as well. Merseyside never seems to be included in "northern england" and we never seem to get the same weather.

Posted

Still waiting for any sign of a storm here in west middlands, I'm going to have a mini rant here. I'm absolutely sik and tired if the NE having a flipping storm fest, the best thing mist if us middlanders have had is dome rain falling at about 8mm/per hour and looking who's getting it again, the freaking NE! Oh and who will get the best snow in winter.... ummm the NE?

The Whining Thread