Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Report

Posted

Will the showers suddenly pep ip when they hit this area then?

I mentioned this potential across Cheshire and into the NW Midlands in my post earlier. There has been a lot of talk regarding storms in the south but I can see something in the area I, and now met monkey, have indicated also. Would be very interested to know peoples thoughts before I decide to invade more southern territories. Although I may now have left this too late!

Incidentally GFS precip charts indicate something in this area too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Beginning to lose the cruddy low cloud now between showers. Blue sky is appearing to the southwest with some impressive Cbs appearing. Plenty of sferics about to the southwest too so fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Will the showers suddenly pep ip when they hit this area then?

In short I don't know. We need the opinion of somebody who does.

Just rain, rain and more rain here today. Not expecting anything thundery this far north though.

Posted

In short I don't know. We need the opinion of somebody who does.

Just rain, rain and more rain here today. Not expecting anything thundery this far north though.

Okay, i won't get my hopes up because as always I get let down. Just really hope Jane Louisr gets something :D

Posted

I think anywhere in Nick's forecast could see a storm with cloud tops as low as -40c so lightning and hail if they can develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Grr storm chance vanishing :(

Forecasts have changed to light showers.

Posted

Convection increasing here. Nice downpour moving past with fairly neat, v dark base and brilliant White anvil

Posted

After heavy rain through the night and this morning the sun has come out and there is blue sky,Meteox radar has my attention at the moment as showing sferics out to the west within the rain,Hopefully it wont die out before it reaches here and produce a storm,Not holding my breath but still something to keep a eye on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

It will be interesting to see if that bigger mass of rain approaching cornwall will develop as it hits land, as on sat24 lightning has been detected within that now and again. Showers also breaking out in Devon also on radar with lightning detected? Things seem to be developing but its looking messy at the moment.

Here the sun is out with clouds developing nicely. Gives a bit of a chance for some surface heating to get going I guess.

Posted

Just been out to have a look to see whats about and seen some nice cb's,like i said not holding my breath but at the moment developments have my attention so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely and sunny here now with warm sunshine and light winds. Feels brilliant for storms forming but we seem to have reverted to the normal 'showers go over Wales - showers go inland - and this bit stays in the clear'.

However there does seem to be a lot of uplift over Dartmoor and Exmoor which should help and that mass of Cornwall looks promising if it can moves NEwards without weakening. On a day like today it's still 'early days'.

Posted

just had a big shower with about 4 large rumbles of thunder!, at long last at of the no storm club

Posted

Just been out to have a look to see whats about and seen some nice cb's,like i said not holding my breath but at the moment developments have my attention so far.

Did you catch the breif storm at about 11pm last night?

There were a couple of bright flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Convective activity now brewing up nicely over west & mid-wales atm, with the West Midlands name written all over it....ties in nicely with the metmonkey forecast quoted earlier!

Posted

Convective activity now brewing up nicely over west & mid-wales atm, with the West Midlands name written all over it....ties in nicely with the metmonkey forecast quoted earlier!

That said we were meant to get it in the evening, I'd rather have an evening storm if I'm honest but all good :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Gonna miss out yet again by the looks of things. Well and truly cursed this year!:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Huge CB to the west of me now, It's literally following the extended centerline for Heathrow 27L/R - I do wonder will this lot be as bad as the stuff we had in June, or was that an MCS? These are just isolated babies?

Posted

No i didn't Tom,We had a down pour then after about a hour for a bout 20mins on and off heavy showers,The showers were only lasting seconds,It was like the cloud didn't have the energy to do it all at once,It would tip down for about 7 seconds then stop then do it again,Then BAM the cloud gathered its strength and absolutely battered us,Im hoping today brings abit more than just rain,Keeping one eye on the sky and the other on the radars,Heres hoping,Good luck to the W and the rest.

Posted

Ahahahahah

Shocker.

Just as expected. It broke up.

Now the convection is south of the severn ( central SW )

Always happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Can someone help me out.

I've been looking at the blitzortung website and there is a key which shows various lightning symbols of different colours, what do these mean? It's on the bottom left hand side and they are labelled 0-20, 20-40 etc. is this a time span in minutes etc.? :cc_confused:

TIA.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

PS! plenty of showers around my area, AT currently 14.4c, DP 13.2c

Posted

Can someone help me out.

I've been looking at the blitzortung website and there is a key which shows various lightning symbols of different colours, what do these mean? It's on the bottom left hand side and they are labelled 0-20, 20-40 etc. is this a time span in minutes etc.? :cc_confused:

TIA.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

PS! plenty of showers around my area, AT currently 14.4c, DP 13.2c

yes, Its time span. ( WHITE ) is now to 20 mins ago..

Dark red is OLD