Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

An Hour's Tv Shortens Life By 22 Minutes!

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to recent study carried-out in Australia, watching TV for one hour one's life by 22 minutes...

But, if this really were true, how many of us would have died before reaching the age of eighteen?

Sounds like cobblers to me...drinks.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20093072-10391704.html

Posted

If I live record it and watch it back later on, (or Sky+ / hard-drive it) does that mean I can win back the time when I'm on my deathbed? rolleyes.gif

Posted

That's completely flawed!. Firstly, if you compare a set of people from the 'Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle survey' to a group of people who do not watch TV at all, I think you are going to find that there are many other contribing factors to their shorter lifespan............

Secondly, I spend way more time sitting down in my job than I do watching TV. If that were the case, then I can expect to die pretty soon!!!!!

If people watch TV and also exercise properly in a balanced way, then the act of watching TV will not affect you at all.

Statistics................you can show anythign you want if you manipulate them enough!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Referring to the original article, I would suggest that total rubbish is being spouted once again. help.gif

However, as some have said on this thread, statistics are statistics and these statistics don't take account of other factors such as.

1. Sitting down whilst downing many lagers whilst watching mind numbing films or soaps or (insert your own) etc.

2. Sitting dorn in a drug crazed frenzy whilst watching any/all of the above.

3. What if (IF) staying sober/compos mentis whilst watching inspiring documentaries or intelligent quiz shows etc.

I often choose option 3 above but have occasionally been known to resort to option 1 but I can safely say option 2 has never applied to me.

I firmly believe that you reap what you sow when it comes to watching TV and also with life in general.

Be lucky, stay lucky.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Pfft...couldn't care either way! I would rather live a shorter life doing things that I enjoy instead of living an extra 10-15 miserable years because I eat nothing but rabbit food and exhaust myself exercising during all my spare time.

Posted

According to recent study carried-out in Australia, watching TV for one hour one's life by 22 minutes...

But, if this really were true, how many of us would have died before reaching the age of eighteen?

Sounds like cobblers to me...drinks.gif

http://www.cbsnews.c...2-10391704.html

18 is a bit specific Pete. The best I can come up with is that something like one in five thousand British males and females die between age 15 and 24.

Now assuming someone destined to die like this saw TV 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 18 years (leap years ignored) - from birth - that person would - to answer your question using the arguments you queried - peg it at 17 1/2 years old at the best..............but then I am sure you could have worked that bit of arithmetic out yourself good.gif The funny bit is that kicking the bucket at 17 1/2 years old precludes watching TV 24 hours a day for 18 years. Maybe the business needs a bit of calculus, and an allowance for sleep, getting bored with TV, adolescence, grumpy parents...... doh.gif

Edited by Alan Robinson

TV's weren't that widely available to a lot of the public prior to the mid - fifties or so because of their high cost, so somebody watching then would have been born about 1930 if we are talking about TV watching since the age of 25 years, so I can't really think how they could calculate the amount of TV he watched then apply it to his life span if he has already popped his clogs, or if he is still alive, he's reached his three score and ten he is now in extra time.

It sounds like a badly worded report and I would suspect that any life shortening would be through lack of mental and physical exercise associated with TV watching, or is it just that so many of the programs are so mind numbing that they make people want to top themselves?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes, it's all true!...plus did you know that every beer you drink and every cigarette you smoke knocks another 10 minutes off your life...I should know, I was born in 1970 and apparently I died in 1842! doh.gif

Posted

Yes, it's all true!...plus did you know that every beer you drink and every cigarette you smoke knocks another 10 minutes off your life...I should know, I was born in 1970 and apparently I died in 1842! doh.gif

And wide screen televisions must be deadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The TV thing sounds rubbish to be honest, it is true about Cigarettes though etc.

I can't see that smoking cigarettes is more healthy than TV

One of the most unhealthy thing to do surely is worry about things that are unhealthy for you.

Posted

if this is true, then the recruitment ads should be full of jobs for tv critics or film reviewers!

Posted

Watching TV doesn't actually shorten your lifespan. It just makes you wish it didfool.gif

Posted

Watching too much TV makes you lazy.

The title may refer to some people getting obese(couch potatoes) and too little exercise just a thought.

Big brother and celebrity jungle I`ll say no more.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

What a load of old tosh.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

If it's daytime TV I would imagine it would shorten your life considerably ...suicide is usually fatal.

Posted

As a biologist I've got to say this is one of the most flawed studies I've ever seen in my life. Even first year undergrads could do better! How on earth did they even get this funded?!

Posted

What a load of old tosh.

Video memory implantion.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/commentary/videomemory/images.htm

Once you`ve seen characters or music celebs etc they are implanted into your brain for life.

I`ve had dreams of many music celebs etc.

And they seem as real as life.

I`ve seen once a cartoon in a dream and that was this year.

A computer screen can certainly give you a headache more that a TV IMO.

Posted

Video memory implantion.

http://www.turnoffyo...mory/images.htm

Once you`ve seen characters or music celebs etc they are implanted into your brain for life.

I`ve had dreams of many music celebs etc.

And they seem as real as life.

I`ve seen once a cartoon in a dream and that was this year.

thats called 'memory' one of the basic functions of the brain