SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Wet start,

Temp 11.2c

Humidity 87%

Dewpoint 9.0c

Posted

dry, no wind, complete cover of Ci, very thick, lowest temp was 8.6C the lowest since 30/6

Posted

16.3 DgC

1013.1 mb steady

Wind 7.6 mph gusting 10.4 mph max E

DP 11.8 DgC

Humidity 75%

0.6 mm rain last 24 hours

Cloud base 1830 ft

Bright with cloud clearing, some sunshine creeping through at last

Posted

A wet and cool start with outbreaks of rain, temperature 12.2C which is also the low so far. Today looks to be very cool perhaps not getting above 13 or 14C which is 7-8C below average, a positive anomaly that great in summer seems impossible here since 2006.

I notice yesterday and today the Netweather radar's accumulation feature is showing far more rain than has actually fallen here. Yesterday it showed over 5mm when I had only 1.4mm. Today it recons about 8mm in the last 4 hours but I've had 3.6mm so far.

I also notice the heavy/very heavy rain on radar is missing me just to the east with another clump to the west. Interesting weather not happening here again this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cold and damp start here with light rain. Only 11.6C which is the lowest reading so far today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Dry and cloudy at present after some very weak sunshine earlier this morning.

Current temp' is 10.9c after a min' of 9.9c and a grass min' of 6.8c.

Rainfall in 24 hrs ending 0800 g.m.t, nil

Mean wind speed, 4 mph NE

7 oktas Ast and Acu

Vis', 20 km.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Thursday 18th August 2011:

Dry with clear spells overnight, chilly, low 7.1c. Sunny spells to begin with this morning, though high and mid level cloud increased to overcast by 07:00 GMT. At observation, overcast with brighter patches.

8 Oktas: Altostratus, Altocumulus.

Temperature: 12.4°C

Humidity: 81%

Dew point 9.2°C

Wind Direction: Force 1-2 N

Barometer: 1017mb falling slowly.

Today's readings for the 24 hrs up to 0:900 GMT:

Maximum daytime temperature yesterday: 20.0°C

Minimum temperature overnight: 7.1°C

24-hour maximum = 20.0°C

24-hour minimum: 7.1°C

Minimum temperature on grass: 5.1°C

Rainfall total: 0.0 mm

Yesterday:

A bright start with shallow mist after a cool and clear night, low 6.4c with 4.5c on the grass. At observation, dry with hazy sunny spells. Hazy sunny spells continued through the day, though it became cloudy at times, blotting out the sun for lengthy spells too, though with just a light west to north westerly wind it felt pleasant enough. The evening saw the sky clear and it quickly became chilly.

August: 2011 so far:

Mean temperature: 16.9c (+ 0.5c) of the local average)

Maximum temperature: 28.4 on the 3rd.

Minimum temperature: 6.4c on the 17th

Grass Minimum: 4.5c on the 17th

Rainfall = 14.4 mm

Wettest 24 hours, 4.3mm on the 7th.

Maximum wind gust: 42 mph NNW on the 8th.

2011 so far:

Maximum temperature: 29.1 on the 27th June.

Minimum temperature: -7.0c on the 31st Jan

Grass Minimum: -10.4c on the 31st Jan

Rainfall = 271.5 mm

Wettest 24 hours, 19.1mm on the 12th June

Maximum wind gust: 56.8mph, SSE 7th Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Dry but mostly cloudy with a few sunny breaks. Currently 15.3C, low of 13.1C overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looks like the rain band is slightly more to the north than first forecast.

Will the Oval stay dry for the cricket do we think? Quite an intense band, seems to be on a direct NE bearing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Stuck in limbo land here, too far south to catch any brightness & potentially thundery showers, whilst too far north to be affected by the deluge further south...Its simply overcast with frontal mid-level cloud & distinctly chilly sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Right in the middle of the deluge now...current temperature's only 11.6, which is equal to last night's minimum. I can't remember such a cold day in August.

You're in the middle of an absolute hammering! Reading is in the line of heaviest rain - lucky you (hah!). Looks like some rain will catch the Oval soon. England did well though so it's fine for now, looks v. heavy though, unlikely for much more play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

You're in the middle of an absolute hammering! Reading is in the line of heaviest rain - lucky you (hah!). Looks like some rain will catch the Oval soon. England did well though so it's fine for now, looks v. heavy though, unlikely for much more play.

I think they will get more play in.

There is nothing behind the band once it passes. Playing by 2.40pm I think :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I think they will get more play in.

There is nothing behind the band once it passes. Playing by 2.40pm I think smile.png

Yeah, but it'll take a while once the band leaves, and there's another one moving in E of Portsmouth. It's been good so far because the showers have been arriving from the SSW, SW, not WSW direction, so we should get some play tonight regardless :)

Posted

It certainly is hammering down here help.gif - 25mm in 2 hours according to the Reading University site and still just as heavy. Guess who's taken the car in for its MOT and is probably going to have to walk 2 miles to get it back. Keeping an eye on the radar for something less torrential...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just thought i'd let you know what it was like here in Wareham, Dorset.

I've not seen rain like it for many years, 25mm in under an hour this morning, 54.8mm in around 4 hours. Roads were impassable between Swanage and Wareham, Bournemouth gardens are under water, Poole shopping centre was closed, roads split open with the force of water in the drains. Quite spectacular scenes for a sleepy county.

Regards.

Posted

Currently as of 2:35pm it is 12.2 Celcius in my garden, that's the max all day so far. Surely the coldest August day for many years round these parts? (just south of Oxford)

Looks like the rain will clear by 4pm though so some late sunshine might push the temp up to 15/16 Celcius or so.

Edited by audiotech

Posted

It's finally brightening up here in Reading, and the rain has just stopped. Don't have a rainfall gauge here, but local stations are reporting 30-50mm between 11am and 3pm today, so possibly the wettest day here since July 2007. And the temperature has been struggling to get above 12 deg C here too.

Posted

Very wet here, nearly 4 hours continuous heavy rain, very unusual for here. Temp is lower now than it was at 8am, only 13C.

I am astonished there have been NO severe weather warnings from the Met Office, they have known this was coming for at least 2 days. Just down the coast in Bournemouth there has been some serious flooding.

Posted

Cold and clear overnight giving a rather low min temp of 8.1C. Its been overcast for much of the day however, with a brief max temp of 16.1C earlier.

Currently 14.9C and 73% humidity. Notably cold for this time of the year. No rain though.