Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

18th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted

And it's still raining here in dear old Reading. I notice one or two unofficial sites to the east of Reading have recorded over 50mm today, and if the university's web site is to be taken at face value it looks like their gauge got full up (it seems to show just over 30mm with a 1 hour break during heavy rain). Probably the wettest day here since 2007.

Made the mistake of offering to pick up Mrs S from work across town (we're off Caversham Road, tried to get to the Queens Road area). Had to give up after trying both ways round the dreaded IDR and having to turn round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

1 rumble here at 5.10 as the back edge cleared away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Wasted my time cleaning out some drains and gutters, had about 15 mins of drizzle and the sun's out now. The rain was always getting lighter as it passed to the south. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

in my location especially early afternoon, could see the unsettled skies to my south, the convective/sunny weather to my north, I was inbetween and just cloudy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I hate the French diablo.gif

*** NexStorm TRAC Report generated 18/08/2011 18:33:18 Tracking 1 thunderstorms ------------------------------------------------------- Thunderstorm ID B-4861 detected 13:47 Storm location bearing 82.2 dgr distance 255 mi Last recorded activity 18:32 Intensity class Weak Intensity trend No change Current strikerate 1/minute Peak strikerate 16/minute Total recorded strikes 889 Cloud-Ground strikes 532 - 59.84% Intracloud strikes 357 - 40.16% -- Strike type distribution -- Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 169 - 19.01% Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 363 - 40.83% Positive Intracloud [+IC] 191 - 21.48% Negative Intracloud [-IC] 166 - 18.67% ------------------------------------------------------- *** TRAC Report end - NexStorm V1.8.0.7025:PCI

So how come they get a 5 hour storm and we just get drowned?

Edited by Wet'n'Dry

Posted

Well the BBMF flying display at Bournemouth has been cancelled due to incliment weather concerns. No better up here in the Pennines currently either as with another hours & half to sunset the lights are already on in the house as the convective trough passes over.

Posted

I hate the French diablo.gif

*** NexStorm TRAC Report generated 18/08/2011 18:33:18 Tracking 1 thunderstorms ------------------------------------------------------- Thunderstorm ID B-4861 detected 13:47 Storm location bearing 82.2 dgr distance 255 mi Last recorded activity 18:32 Intensity class Weak Intensity trend No change Current strikerate 1/minute Peak strikerate 16/minute Total recorded strikes 889 Cloud-Ground strikes 532 - 59.84% Intracloud strikes 357 - 40.16% -- Strike type distribution -- Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 169 - 19.01% Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 363 - 40.83% Positive Intracloud [+IC] 191 - 21.48% Negative Intracloud [-IC] 166 - 18.67% ------------------------------------------------------- *** TRAC Report end - NexStorm V1.8.0.7025:PCI

So how come they get a 5 hour storm and we just get drowned?

It's called Sod's Law, Wet'n'Dry.

Just a dampening of the ground here in Solihull today. Seems like what occured in Dorset/Bournemouth earlier on today even took the Met Office by surprise. Casting ahead to Sunday, It's looking pretty borderline as to whether Solihull will see anything in respect of thundery activity.

One can but hope. :-)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Nothing more than a bit of drizzle here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some very impressive anvils in my southern skies....I've been tracking them whilst driving along the A5, and would estimate them somewhere south of Birmingham...anyone in that area confirm sferics fom these?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

in my location especially early afternoon, could see the unsettled skies to my south, the convective/sunny weather to my north, I was inbetween and just cloudy

We had sunshine here for a good part of this afternoon. :D I looked at the Satellitle and looked like there was some sunny spells your way too.

Some very impressive anvils in my southern skies....I've been tracking them whilst driving along the A5, and would estimate them somewhere south of Birmingham...anyone in that area confirm sferics fom these?

Yes I saw these. No sferics and the rain just went to the South of here but the radar shows it was never heavy.

Posted

Yeah I had about half an hour of sun, I'd sure of prefered it to rain. The rugby season has kicked off again and the ground sure isn't comforting.

We had sunshine here for a good part of this afternoon. :D I looked at the Satellitle and looked like there was some sunny spells your way too.

Yes I saw these. No sferics and the rain just went to the South of here but the radar shows it was never heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Could've warned me it was that loud i had my headphones on :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Could've warned me it was that loud i had my headphones on sad.png

Sorry blush.png

Posted

Some crazy weather about to day, Im in Boscombe Bournemouth and we had approx 60mm rain today.

Went for a surf in the afternooon, large chunks of beach washed away, un to 4ft of sand by prom wall and sewage on the beach.