Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

22nd into 23rd Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

The Channel here looks threatening already - a big CB rolling in with mammatus. Heavy downpour imminent I think...looks good and earlier than forecastclapping.gif looking forward to later this evening.

Just my thoughts exactly SeeBee. Thought i would pop on here and see what everybody thought after seeing it go from sunshine to dark clouds in the space of half an hour. Dont think there will be any thunder until later but i dont think there was supposed to be any rain until later either. Looking foward to later today anyhow.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Indeed. Looks like you in the South East will once again steal the storms, leaving the rest of us bone dry sad.png:)

Edited by aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Sounds like I'm just going to end up with a washout rather than anything more exciting, with the SE seeing the best potential for electrical activity...it was all looking good a day or two ago for me. Just hoping something does spread to our area...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Indeed. Looks like you in the South East will once again steal the storms, leaving the rest of us bone dry sad.pngsmile.png

Now you listen 'ere....I ain't add a propaa storm since abaat two faasand and nine innit (exc 28th June this year)....don't start this daan saaf gettin propaa storms raabbish rofl.gif

If they come off I'll be over the moon! But we've had so much disappointment in the last few years and in particular 2010!

This will be, again if it comes off, the first proper night time plume storm since June 2010 and even that was a pretty significant disappointment

Re Victor Meldrew's post, that 0400 MetO Invent rainfall run does look markedly like an MCS biggrin.png

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Raining here already. Is this a sign that things are a little but further North than expected? If so thats surely a good thing for most involved (that want storms!)

Posted

Raining here already. Is this a sign that things are a little but further North than expected? If so thats surely a good thing for most involved (that want storms!)

My thoughts exactly, the further that sector of convective air moves North, the greater the risk for more people!

Just keep your eyes on the centre of the Low approaching the BoB...if that stays moving due North (or there abouts) then it looks a lot better! If it starts veering NE then so too will our storm risks

I notice Estofex still quiet.......that's the second time this year a plume type system involving the UK has been very late...I think on one occasion this year they didnt post a forecast at all which was most disappointing....

I'll have a punt at how I think it will look (emphasis - this is my attempt using the estofex map style...I've removed all reference to estofex as this is not their forecast)

Part of me is curious as to whether they may even issue the first level 3 of the year across C/N France...there does seem to be fair to decent risk of supercells here given the presence of sheer, very high CAPE/LI values, dry air intrusion around the low assisting chance of explosive convection and likely v high amounts of rainfall - has to be a high risk of large hail over France also.....I'm probably way off the beat but you never know.

post-3790-0-90643900-1314006293_thumb.jp

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Sounds like I'm just going to end up with a washout rather than anything more exciting, with the SE seeing the best potential for electrical activity...it was all looking good a day or two ago for me. Just hoping something does spread to our area...

According to Ian Fergusson it's just going to be rain, rain and more rain for us here!!

You never know though, just gotta hope!!

Posted

Does anyone know if there is a good chance of seeing a decent thunderstorm in the Bristol area/W/SW england? At the moment the most intense stuff is forecasted over the SE. Guess will just have to watch that low as it approaches on the sat image.

Posted

According to Ian Fergusson it's just going to be rain, rain and more rain for us here!!

Gah it was looking good yesterday/day before. Ah well will just have to wait and see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I doubt we will even see that much rain, looks like we are on the edge of the main band as it pushes up from the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

From my selfish point of view tongue.png it would be really nice if it were to hit further west so i could get something, june 2009 was the last time i got a thunderstorm :(

Posted

GRRRR!!!! Those charts posted by Coast earlier have updated and appear to show the stuff reaching slightly further north, but the highest storm risk shunted east!!!! wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I doubt we will even see that much rain, looks like we are on the edge of the main band as it pushes up from the south.

I have yet to see a thunder storm this year and it has been 3 years since one so I am hopeful that somerset may get a storm.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

My thoughts exactly, the further that sector of convective air moves North, the greater the risk for more people!

Just keep your eyes on the centre of the Low approaching the BoB...if that stays moving due North (or there abouts) then it looks a lot better! If it starts veering NE then so too will our storm risks

I notice Estofex still quiet.......that's the second time this year a plume type system involving the UK has been very late...I think on one occasion this year they didnt post a forecast at all which was most disappointing....

I'll have a punt at how I think it will look (emphasis - this is my attempt using the estofex map style...I've removed all reference to estofex as this is not their forecast)

Part of me is curious as to whether they may even issue the first level 3 of the year across C/N France...there does seem to be fair to decent risk of supercells here given the presence of sheer, very high CAPE/LI values, dry air intrusion around the low assisting chance of explosive convection and likely v high amounts of rainfall - has to be a high risk of large hail over France also.....I'm probably way off the beat but you never know.

Looks a very reasonable forecast for severe weather Harry. Already some significant storms in NW France and I wouldn't be surprised to see large hail there.

Posted

Looks like the far SE could be hit by that mass that is in France at the moment if it keeps its current path? You could get a double dose of storms :p

Is a shame the Low seems to be taking a slight NE path than N so i'll probably be on the back edge with just rain tonight. Still hoping though for a decent storm..

Posted

Indeed. Looks like you in the South East will once again steal the storms, leaving the rest of us bone dry sad.pngsmile.png

wow one small storm all year so far and even that was poor, yeh sure... The places that have had most big storms so far seem to be up towards the north east!

So far for the last three years it's been very poor :(

Posted

Looks like the far SE could be hit by that mass that is in France at the moment if it keeps its current path? You could get a double dose of storms :p

Is it looking likely that the mass tracking this way will keep it's course or veer east when it hits the Channel? We made up a picnic to go out with while it was warm and sunny first thing and then I looked at the radar! Normally I'm hopping about willing any possible storms to come this way but just this one time that i don't and it looks like being a direct hit - typical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Now you listen 'ere....I ain't add a propaa storm since abaat two faasand and nine innit (exc 28th June this year)....don't start this daan saaf gettin propaa storms raabbish rofl.gif

If they come off I'll be over the moon! But we've had so much disappointment in the last few years and in particular 2010!

This will be, again if it comes off, the first proper night time plume storm since June 2010 and even that was a pretty significant disappointment

Re Victor Meldrew's post, that 0400 MetO Invent rainfall run does look markedly like an MCS biggrin.png

Well, the south east has had a lot more storms than here, of course a lot of them localised, but I remember in late June this year when the south/east got some proper torrential downpours, and a friend in Hampshire has told me he reported over 100 mm in June and oover 70 mm in July, nothing of the sort here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

The Storms over NW France wont hit the UK today, they're moving NE , will likely have a northern extent of the Channel, and to be honest I can't see anything for tonight/tomorrow either, maybe the very tip of SE England might catch a few isolated strikes, but it's looking like another near miss

Posted

4am! biggrin.png

Yep! Everything I've looked at this morning in both threads (http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70774-23rd-aug-2011-stormconvective-forecast-discussion-and-reports/ ) points to a start time after midnight, with the sweet spot (such as it currently is) around 3 to 4 am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Is it looking likely that the mass tracking this way will keep it's course or veer east when it hits the Channel? We made up a picnic to go out with while it was warm and sunny first thing and then I looked at the radar! Normally I'm hopping about willing any possible storms to come this way but just this one time that i don't and it looks like being a direct hit - typical!

Sods law that, I bet you normally check radar and forecasts before making a picnic too lol.

Posted

Well, the south east has had a lot more storms than here, of course a lot of them localised, but I remember in late June this year when the south/east got some proper torrential downpours, and a friend in Hampshire has told me he reported over 100 mm in June and oover 70 mm in July, nothing of the sort here!

Hampshire is in the south not south east and you are mentioning the entire south east corner just for leeds... A VAST majority of the south east has had the odd storm and very weak ones too!, everything so far has stayed offshore or towards the north east :(