Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex-hurricane Charley, Late August 1986

Weather-history

Posted

25 years on....ex-hurricane Charley ruined the August Bank Holiday with gales, heavy rain and flooding to many parts of the UK with England and Wales bearing the brunt

There was some exceptional rainfall totals across many parts of the UK. Here's some 24 hour totals

Lowtown NI: 96.1mm

Heathrow: 25.4mm

Cardiff: 26.4mm

Plymouth: 28.7mm

Birmingham: 46.0mm

RAF Valley: 56.1mm

Manchester: 36.4mm

Watnall: 59.9mm

Durham: 69.1mm

Dublin: 68.2mm

Valentia: 87.5mm

England and Wales: 43.2mm

Northern Ireland: 32.2mm

Scotland: 3.1mm

It was probably one of the worst Bank Holiday's weatherwise in the last 50 years.

I remember going to a summer fair that day and the rain hit my area about 2pm and that was it for the rest of the day, wet!!!!

I visited York, the day after and the river Ouse had burst its banks.

Rrea00119860826.gif

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

That one certainly ranks among the highlights of my meteorological life.

It still stands as the wettest day I've recorded in the last 48 years with 78.1 mm here.

Posted

I remember it all too well, based at RAF Valley, quoted in your post Mr D. One thing not quoted in there is the wind strength, remembering even though its Valley it is/was August. Made a real mess of my newly laid out rose garden!

Yet the greenhouse I had erected to odd looks from the locals withstood it without even a pane of glass broken.

When I left 4 years later the only damage it had suffered through the frequent gales that area experiences was one perhaps 2 panes of glass that I had to replace.

Edited by johnholmes

• 9 years later...

I was a nine year old boy during this storm. 

My parents had sold our family home in Ramsgate and bought a boat that was moored in Bristol. 

The boat was a German luftwaffe vessel from ww2 that was captured by the RAF following the end of the war. 

We took her from Bristol, along the Avon and across the Bristol Channel.

We had already began our journey when the winds began to pick up. Things became a lot worse very quickly and waves were soon crashing over the top of our new 90ft long home! 

I had never been at sea before and so didn't realise the severity of it at the time, I just thought it was what being at sea was. 

We eventually made it to Barry Island and moored up at low tide against some very rotten wooden sections. 

The next day was beautifully calm and we set foot ashore in search of a laundrette to dry our soaking wet clothes. 

We then endured the great storm of '87 in Ramsgate, right on the south east coast where it hit hardest. 

• Like 2

Posted

I was in a sunny West of Scotland that day where it was not a Bank Holiday and I climbed Ben Lomond with marvellous views from the 3000+ ft summit. So quite a contrast between Scotland and England that day. I recall that they had set up motor racing in London or Birmingham (can't remember which) and that of course had to be cancelled, and has never been repeated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yes I remember that one. My mum took us on a trip to the cheder caves that day. Windy was an understatement, but having driven there she tried to make the most of it. It was also very very wet. Saw lots of flash flooding on the way back. 

Posted

August 1986 is one of those months where the month's rainfall total is distorted by one day's rainfall total.

For instance at Manchester Airport, 43% of the August 1986's rainfall total fell on that one day and for NW England and North Wales region, 34% of that August's rainfall total was down to that one day.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Remember Ex-Hurricane Charlie very well. Was on holiday with my Parents at Trecco Bay Porthcawl, during that time as I was only 17. Porthcawl suffered a lot of wind damage ,although I managed to sleep just about all night! How I did that I don't know! My parents and my sister stayed up all night , and the lady in the next caravan said it was the worst and scariest night of her life worse than she experienced in the Blitz in London!!! Caravans were in there side next morning blown over by the fierce wind. Certainly one of the most stormiest August bank holidays in a lifetime....one never to forget!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Remember the day very clearly. We had gone to take my Nan out for the day in Torquay but we abandoned any thought of that and stayed in her bungalow in Newton Ferrers. The tree opposite her home never stood a chance and the rain was just relentless all day. Definitely the worse August bank holiday in my lifetime. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

All I remember was staying in all Bank Holiday weekend because it was so wet! If I remember right the rainfall from Charley (and its associated waves/secondaries, I would guess) persisted more or less all three days of the weekend?

I do then remember the following week was much brighter, with a NW-ly around and just occasional showers - this being the transition from the poor August to the much better September.

Edited by Summer8906

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
41 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Daily Telegraph

ipTlPLr.jpg9PqdqXb.jpgtxVD91P.jpg

Guardian

xhdcH5W.jpgAlW0Cye.jpgimage.thumb.png.adff8771bdd97ba996b496f9b52cbf36.pngCkIGWLi.jpg

wyiKnEA.jpguLikJvS.jpgzQf74a7.jpg9JPuc2o.jpg3UkoMvq.jpg

Of note also are the exceedingly cool max temps of just 15C. One might think that with so much tropical air in the system it would have been a bit warmer than that, despite all the wind and rain: 15C maxima in August typically require very cold polar air.

Also of note is how the Telegraph persisted in placing Fahrenheit before Celsius as late as 1986, 15 years after decimalisation!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Of note also are the exceedingly cool max temps of just 15C. One might think that with so much tropical air in the system it would have been a bit warmer than that, despite all the wind and rain: 15C maxima in August typically require very cold polar air.

Also of note is how the Telegraph persisted in placing Fahrenheit before Celsius as late as 1986, 15 years after decimalisation!

What I find odd is the Guardian's spelling of Charley. Why they spelt it Charlie when the hurricane was named Charley, I do not know but they did use the correct spelling the folowing day's edition.

So did someone assume the spelling without actually checking?

Edited by Weather-history