Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Overall Thoughts On Summer 2011

Posted

One of the most uneventful none de-script summers I can remember. Nothing really happened no storms no long lasting cold spells no long lasting hot spells. It was a dry summer and is looking the coolest since 2007. Would have been in the top ten driest but 27mm in tow days spoilt that.

Totally agree PIT.

It hasn't been that bad to be honest. For me, it has been fine temperature wise but I don't like it to be hot for long. After the last couple of decades, to get near normal/cool temperatures has been fine for me. Would have been better if we had a bit more sun than we had but it was reasonable. The one thing that we missed in this area was the rainfall. The apple trees are stressed and have been dropping fruit for the last 2 months.

Posted

My summary is:

June: Average temperatures; average rainfall (although local to me I understand it was quite wet), slightly below average sun

July: Temps a shade under average, quite dry, not very sunny.

August: Cool (with some extremely cool days more than offsetting the hot start), dull but a touch a drier than average with most rain falling on two days.

So, in even briefer summary, I totally agree with the Pit, nothing at all to make it memorable, for good or for bad. August once again the worst month, although only marginally.

A characteristic of all three summer months has been to start well and go downhill as the month goes on, with a reset at the end to start the next month well! Has anyone else noticed that?

Posted

IMO a bad summer for those further North, and an average summer for those further South. Here in the Ribble Valley we didn't exceed 25c, a few dry/warm days here and there, but on the whole a phiss poor summer. Roll on winter. cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Highest temp I recorded was 29.8c at the end of June.

A bit of a nothing summer really, neither terrible or amazing.

Hang on, someone is knocking on the door...................WINTER!! smiliz39.gif

Not forgetting autumn though, cannot wait for the first frosty morning! I can already hear the MOD arguments and 10 posts a minute! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

As recent summers - started in spring, June was ok, July was poorer and August was even worse.

Extremely dry but extremely dull and not warm enough especially later in the season. If I hadn't been to California last week I think I'd have forgotten what sunshine & warmth was like!

Lets hope next summer at least boosts the sunshine even if we end up cooler/wetter. The incessant dullness is extremely depressing especially as we move into the dull & dark season ahead without the boost the summer sunshine brings us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

2006: 7.5/10

2007: 4/10

2008: 5.5/10

2009: 6/10

2010: 7/10

2011: 6/10

A truly average summer, drier than recent summers, but also cloudier and cooler - very non-descript, ideal for some, but not for many - very little action, however April was very nice here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i have two ways of looking at this... personal and professional...

personally its been ok, average, disappointing in as much that theres been no decent hot spell, or any thunderstorms (here).

professionally..... BRILLIANT! laugh.png ive only got wet a handful of times, its been the best working weather i could wish for, dry dry dry with a little rain now and again to keep the grass growing.

ive quite liked the summer though tbh, my fav since 06... and it might have been the coldest for 18 years, but id sooner have it colder and drier then (slightly) warmer and much wetter...like 07...

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Glad to see the back of Summer 2011 to be honest. This summer can be summed as "a few nice days...some truly diabolical days....but mostly a cool, cloudy often breezy pile of meh!"

No hot weather at all...in fact the only hot, sunny weather I was fortunate enough to enjoy was in April.

But the worst thing about Summer 2011, without a shadow of doubt, was it's failure to deliver a single thunderstorm! Sure, I heard a few distant rumbles on a couple of nights in August, but a few distant rumbles does not make a storm. Summer 2011 storm wise was for me even worse than the pitifully storm lacking summer of 2010 (which at least provided one storm to enjoy)

Good riddance Summer 2011...you've been forgotten already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Pretty univentful summer all round.

Cool, cloudy and zero thunderstorms lazy.gif

Rainfall was around average with 143mm recorded for august.

Roll on winter! smiliz34.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well I'm also subject to having two reasons to like/dislike summer just like Mushy.

For the early part (June) whilst doing my bird survey research I certainly liked keeping dry (I'm a fair weather birder) in Herefordshire & Warwickshire.

On the whole, that most certainly was the case and my wet days were office days. As for the final two-thirds of meteorological summer, I feel it's been reasonable but unfortunately IMO there were never enough HOT days. On the whole, recent summers have been disappointing with a lack of heatwaves and night-time thunderstorms but 2011 hasn't been the worst ever.

My Davis reported the following.

Air Temperatures

June 2011 a mean of 13.9c (-0.2c)very slightly below normal

July 2011 a mean of 15.3c (-1.2c) well below normal

August 2011 currently a mean 15.1c (-1.1c) well below normal

Rainfall

June 2011 56.8mm - 2.3mm above average so near normal.

July 2011 45.4mm - 7.2mm above average so just slightly more rainfall than normal.

August 2011 99.5mm - 45.1mm above average so very wet compared with normal.

In spite of the rainfall figures, I have only had 6 days where Thunder/Lighnting has been heard/seen from my location. Based on nearly 20 years of records I should be achieving my 10th Thunder day on this date. cray.gifIt's been bloody years since an overnight MCS outbreak which really does add to my pain too. diablo.gif

Whatever I feel about the meteorological summer period, I still look forward to the equinox as the proper ending and the weather has at least been interesting as it's constantly been on the move. hi.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Not a great summer to be honest. The worst part of the summer was mid-July when we had at least 10 days of cool, cloudy, windy but dry weather consecutively. These type of days occured way too much this summer, and was defiently the most disappointing aspect of this summer. Only 4 thunder days too, July was a thunderless month which contributed to this poor statistic.

I would only give this summer a rating of 4 out of 10. 2010 has defiently been the best summer here since 2007, I would give that summer a rating of 6 out of 10. Roll on autumn.

Posted

Just a reply and thank you to Downburst for his info regarding gardening for a living in the Scottish climate,very enlightening i must say,theres me feeling sorry for them all up there and they are doing just fine lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A rather disappointing summer. It was on the cool side but never really cool, at least until the end of August. Lengthy periods of dry or dryish weather were punctuated by the occasional heavy fall of rain but we missed all the torrential downpours which affected areas to the west and east of here.

No thunderstorms at all and any thunder heard was from distant storms which produced no rain at all here.

No gales recorded, in fact winds were mostly remarkably light during July and August.

August was a very cloudy month but without the added ingredients of low temperature, strong winds and heavy rain the dullness rather lost its impact.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Okay a slightly below average temperature wise. The coolest Summer since 2008 coming in at 15.3c. Rainfall the 9th driest we've recorded since 1955 with 117 mm of rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Temperature - Perfect

Sunshine - Not enough

Storm count - Absolutely nothing, dreadful in that respect

Overall, meh!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nondescript, especially August. Much drier than recent Summers with a rather dry Summer overall. Near normal temperatures but very lacking in heat, especially August which only managed 23c at best. A high frequency of very cool nights, with many falling below 8c,and with frosts in June. No thunderstorms to speak of, no really wet nor really dry spells. Lack of prolonged sunny weather as Summer went on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

professionally..... BRILLIANT! laugh.png ive only got wet a handful of times, its been the best working weather i could wish for, dry dry dry with a little rain now and again to keep the grass growing.

Lol, seriously - I havent had to cut the grass here for over 8 weeks and even now it doesn't look like it needs it apart from the odd patch.

I would sum up this summer much as others have as dull - both in terms of interesting weather and sunshine amounts, oh and dry. A summer which has been OK for getting out and about generally but one which will not reside in the memory for years to come i suspect.

Posted

No complaints down here, we've had some flooding, some sunshine and plenty of cloud.

Manage to capture some night-time lightning.

The grockle count was lower this year, always a good sign for peace & quiet.

The veggies have turned in good so far.

All in all no complaints down here.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Confirmed on local weather that this Summer was cooler than average.

But also sunnier than average overall (despite August being cloudier), it was also drier than average very marginally.

It was the driest and sunniest summer than 2006 locally.

Very much a summer to forget though, and certainly not particularly good.

Posted

Overall May and June were brilliant nice and hot a few hot days in July nice and hot for the middle of July till date weather not good at all, our summers are moving earlier for the past four years may and june seem to be the best months for heat. I regards to storms very poor not unstability at all in th South inports from France were granteed but over the past years from 2006 onwards can not remember a storm worth remembering. The best storm was August 2004 inports from Spain. Our storms are moving north as we saw this year Scotland had most of the action. We hope next summer will bring some good hot spells in August follwed by good storms but this I think will not happen as the past years have been a let down.

Posted

Nothing special but not bad for my location and a welcome lack of uncomfortable nights. After the dry Spring I think we needed a changeable Summer and after that record breaking April we do not appear to have slipped back into the pre 2007 pattern. However, that could all change come Winter.....

Posted

Ended up with a pathetic 179 for the Manchester Summer Index, thats 5 consecutive summers that were sub 200. The last time that happened was the 1960s from 1962 to 1966. The last 5 recent summers have an average of 181.

Worst summers for Manchester

1954 143

1907 147

1956 155

1912 156

1924 158

2008 168

1987 169

1946 170

1909 171

1931 173

1978 173

1980 173

1920 174

1923 174

2007 174

1927 175

1948 176

1938 177

1922 178

2011 179

1985 180

1958 184

1972 185

1916 188

1986 189

1965 189

1910 190

1936 190

1988 191

2010 191

1966 192

1998 192

1953 193

1963 194

1993 194

2009 194

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Completely monotonously boring, devoid of anything which could be deemed remotely interesting in a meteorological sense; day after day of sunny spells followed by cloud, followed by spits of rain, followed by a day of overcast skies, followed by sunny spells etc etc etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Very nice here overall I would say, had that exceptionally hot spell early on to give us the customary taste of that (wouldn't want it non stop to be honest), and there has been a fair amount of sunshine/warm weather up until the last 2-3 weeks. Been a tad dry, but not that fussed about that really. Sure it may have been "boring" to the meteorological guys here, but over the summer I'm much more interested in how the weather feels than how it looks on the models tongue.png

Edited by weatherguy