Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comet Elenin (c/2010 X1), Now Breaking Up

frogesque

Posted

Anyway, back in the real world, it might be of interest that we actually have two comets in the night sky at the moment - Elinin and Garradd.

In the last few days of September, Elenin will separate from the sun in our morning sky. It will be visible in binoculars in the morning sky for all of October,

Meanwhile, Garradd is currently just south of the small but well-known constellation of Sagitta, the arrow. This arrow-shaped constellation is right in the middle of the summer triangle formed by the bright stars Vega, Deneb, and Altair.The comet will continue moving westward and brightening, reaching magnitude 7.0 on 12 February 2012.

As an avid sky-watcher it really increasingly tedious trying to find information from reputable sources over the internet about Elenin right now - with all the conspiracy armchair experts becoming increasingly excitable in front of their computers. Certainly come winter when we can look back on this episode and the complete nonsense that has been written, and doom-laden websites move onto their next pet theory, let's hope a few members on here learn from the experience.

unfortunately some people will never learn. they will live out their (probably very long) paranoid lives and die of old age wearing a tin-foil hat...

which direction will we be able to see elenin?

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

As an avid sky-watcher it really increasingly tedious trying to find information from reputable sources over the internet about Elenin right now - with all the conspiracy armchair experts becoming increasingly excitable in front of their computers.

Comet hale bopp was no doubt the best viewable comet ever seen.

Halley comet was dissapointing after all the hype.

Posted

With such a poor resolution image, who can tell. The other blobs could be stars in the background some hundreds of millions of miles away.

I still maintain that the thing is so small in the cosmic scale of things and so far away that it will have no effect on anything on this planet. If it was going to have done so as some posters on here have promoted, it would have been very, very obvious some months ago. The effects of a brown dwarf following it would have been even more obvious, not just about earthquake activity but more about planets being pulled out of their orbits and that has not happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Tbh, using that green superimposed colour, it looks more like the contents of my tissue the last time I blew my nose.......

Posted

Brown dwarf : Between 13 and 90 times mass of Jupiter. (Jupiter comes in about 1.9*10^27kg)

Halley's comet ( a fairly big one): Mass ~ 2.2*10^14kg

Conclusion: Brown Dwarf vs Comet ... No contest!

Even a little study would show that a 'hidden' brown dwarf would have very detectable pertubations on the orbits of planets.

Further reading: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/perturbations.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I sometimes wonder why we are even having the brown dwarf conversation.

THERE IS NOT ONE!

This is just a load on internet crank pots who have a fascination to the see the world end and will use any "new" object or event to promote their fascination!

A load of crappy you tube videos produced in somebodies garage is hardly "scientific evidence". I just feel sorry for the genuine people who are lead astray by this. There are bigger things to worry about than a comet which is millions of miles away and is currently falling apart anyway!

Posted

I sometimes wonder why we are even having the brown dwarf conversation.

THERE IS NOT ONE!

This is just a load on internet crank pots who have a fascination to the see the world end and will use any "new" object or event to promote their fascination!

A load of crappy you tube videos produced in somebodies garage is hardly "scientific evidence". I just feel sorry for the genuine people who are lead astray by this. There are bigger things to worry about than a comet which is millions of miles away and is currently falling apart anyway!

I read it on the intynet so it must be true! I'm safe though 'because my new $200 (+$50 p&p) tinfoil hat will protect meblum.gif

Edit: With that it's probably time to close this thread!

Posted

I read it on the intynet so it must be true! I'm safe though 'because my new $200 (+$50 p&p) tinfoil hat will protect meblum.gif

Edit: With that it's probably time to close this thread!

The amusing thing is the original thread on this comet was closed! :)

Maybe Elenin will lead to a nuclear war between the "believers" and "non-believers" and thus destroy the World! bomb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For every decent, sensible and genuinely educational website there are hundreds of piles of absolute dross, drivel and conspiracy. No wonder so many parts of Western society appear to be going backwards.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

She isn't going to kill us all.

Posted

It's gone very quiet on the Elenin front. How's the end of the world coming along? Anyone spotted the dwarf planet yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

It's gone very quiet on the Elenin front. How's the end of the world coming along? Anyone spotted the dwarf planet yet?

Hadn't you realised we are now all dead and living entirely in a state of hyper-realism in pure digital form. The 'end' happened last week about half past 2 on.... oh it seams to have been erased!

Anyway, no need to worry.

Posted

Hadn't you realised we are now all dead and living entirely in a state of hyper-realism in pure digital form. The 'end' happened last week about half past 2 on.... oh it seams to have been erased!

Anyway, no need to worry.

Is Yamkin now our ruler? help.gifblum.gif

Posted

Seems the comet is attracting the flares ? This would confirm that this thing has a strong gravitational pull maybe ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Big enough to draw the earth away from its orbit resulting in impact? Oh dear oh dear oh dear..

Posted

Seems the comet is attracting the flares ? This would confirm that this thing has a strong gravitational pull maybe ???

It is not attracting the flares.