Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Christmas Weather 2011 - A White One Or Not?

Stuart

Christmas Day Weather  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How Hot Will it Get?

• 11C
    • 12C
    • 13C
    • 14C
    • 15C
    • Record Breaker
  2. 2. Where Will the Mildest Temperature be?

• Scotland
    • England
    • Wales
    • Northern Ireland
  3. 3. Will You Be Having a BBQ this Xmas

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Will it be a white one anywhere?

• Yes
    • No

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I am yet to see snow or even lying snow on x-mas day, EVER !!!

I am 33 and could really do with one this year...after the bland rubbish we've had since Jan...could this be the year ??

Posted

Given there's 112 days to go until 'zero hour' it's a little premature to be assuming any of the white-stuff will be falling from the sky. However the advantage here in the Pennines is our centralised location not to mention the height above sea level which has led to the past 3 christmases being a white one, I think the record used to be that a snowflake had to fall at the MetOffice's central location in London but didn't they change that now to any location in the UK? (I may be wrong.)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

2004, 2009 and 2010 saw snow here . snow also fell in norwich in 2005 as the easterly got going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Guru just told me that it's going to be 17C with sunshine. Sorry. Winter's over.

Posted

the 4th chart for 12z Christmas Day from CFS

anyone spot continuity or similarity?

post-847-0-22691100-1315211816_thumb.jpg

I'll just do it once a week from now for the foreseeable future

It does, to me at any rate, illustrate how variable and also lacking in any continuity these charts are.

Maybe when the weekly charts have been running for a month or two we may see a pattern emerging?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol - is it Christmas now, because' it's 17C with sunshine right here right now!

Yes. :D

Merry Christmas!

Posted

If the last few winters are anything to go by then I guess a White Christmas is more likely then say 10 years ago!

We came so close last year that it was snowing just a couple of days before Christmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Favourite time of the year! Dont usually post until atleast November, but I'm really looking forward to this winter. There's something about snow that never gets old for me! biggrin.png

Got to agree with the snow bit.drinks.gif

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Favourite time of the year! Dont usually post until atleast November, but I'm really looking forward to this winter. There's something about snow that never gets old for me! biggrin.png

Agreed. Snow over rain any day. dirol.gif

Posted

edit: Just noticed the forum obviously doesn't like swear words so it has converted t-w-a-t to angel delight! lol

More of this please this winter!!!

I recorded this in Sheffield 1st December at 7am with people eagerly walking to get to work on time. I think when you see the bus, if you listen carefully you can hear a woman across the road saying "look at that daft angel delight over there" referring to me filming the snow! Doesn't she know how how special it all was!! lol

I then recorded this about 8:30 when it got heavier, think it was the same day. I remember thinking I had only see snow fall this heavy maybe once before in my 32 years so I had to capture it.

Edited by trisnow

Posted

After recent years who knows what will happen!

I say this because I remember Dec 2009 when I was eating my xmas dinner and looking out of the window at the snow lying outside, I thought to myself " I may have to wait 20yrs before I see this again". Incredibly Dec 2010 on Xmas day I was eating my xmas dinner with snow lying outside!

Previous to this I had to go back to Dec 1981 for a white xmas.

We must appreciate how unusual this is. If you look back at the archives, December isn't normally known for its cold/snowy spells which is why Dec 1981 and especially 2010 were exceptional.

Posted

@THE EYE IN THE SKY

Indeed! Which makes me think we can't be that lucky yet again and have it three winters on the trot?

All we can do is hope I guess as we can't possibly know right now.

I do enjoy looking at the Snow and Ice Northern Hemisphere thread, I looked through last years thread (or it may have even been this years) where somebody had put the pics in that highlight how much more westerly the snow had come towards us over the last few winters, almost like a gradual procession west compared to previous winters in the early 2000's.

Here's hoping there is some scientific reason behind it and it carries on this year! Or at least makes a gradual procession back over the next few winters if it has to! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would prefer a relatively mild lead-up to Christmas and then a snowy outbreak hit on Christmas Eve/Day- there was something particularly magical in Tyneside in 1995 about having it arrive in time for the big day, and it also saves heavy disruption during the build-up period.

That said, I certainly wasn't complaining at what happened last year, and I was able to deliberately time my train journey up from Norwich to Cleadon to avoid the disruption (I opted for the 16th December, the last day of the milder interlude in between December 2010's two freeze-ups).

Posted

On a selfish note i would like a repeat of last winter. Only on 2 days were the buses not running and as far as i know the trains carried on at a reduced service. Living in the city centre this year, this will therefore give me minimal distruption.

And no offence to anybody who was disrupted but if people bought snow tyres in summer when they are cheap and wore appropriate footwear there would be far less slips and delays.

That said, it is slightly scary when a bus is revving to the max and not moving as it attemps to climb a hill while snowing.

In regards to christmas, i think the chances are better than those of PWS, i think they are 50%.

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

On a selfish note i would like a repeat of last winter. Only on 2 days were the buses not running and as far as i know the trains carried on at a reduced service. Living in the city centre this year, this will therefore give me minimal distruption.

And no offence to anybody who was disrupted but if people bought snow tyres in summer when they are cheap and wore appropriate footwear there would be far less slips and delays.

That said, it is slightly scary when a bus is revving to the max and not moving as it attemps to climb a hill while snowing.

In regards to christmas, i think the chances are better than those of PWS, i think they are 50%.

It depends on where you live, and snow around Christmas time is extremely marginal! I remember in 2004 when we had blizzard conditions and a few inches of lying snow, and I could see that at the bottom of our hill there was barely anything, and there was no snow what so ever in the town 5 minutes away!

We normally do extremely well though, our most recent white Christmases were 2004, a slight dusting in 2005, a bit of lying snow from a few weeks prior in 2008, 2009 and 2010!

Posted

It depends on where you live, and snow around Christmas time is extremely marginal! I remember in 2004 when we had blizzard conditions and a few inches of lying snow, and I could see that at the bottom of our hill there was barely anything, and there was no snow what so ever in the town 5 minutes away!

We normally do extremely well though, our most recent white Christmases were 2004, a slight dusting in 2005, a bit of lying snow from a few weeks prior in 2008, 2009 and 2010!

Living close to you but at a higher altitude i imagaine that we generally get similar experiences. That said, marginal events here tend to produce snow and this is also seemingly the case near the airport as i am sure the other poster can verify though that may be height related.

I do understand what you mean in regards to towns 5 minutes away having nothing, Dewsbury is at 90asl and frequently gets next to nothing. In Feb 2009 it had lying snow for just 6 days while i had 14.

Posted

Living close to you but at a higher altitude i imagaine that we generally get similar experiences. That said, marginal events here tend to produce snow and this is also seemingly the case near the airport as i am sure the other poster can verify though that may be height related.

I do understand what you mean in regards to towns 5 minutes away having nothing, Dewsbury is at 90asl and frequently gets next to nothing. In Feb 2009 it had lying snow for just 6 days while i had 14.

I have family who live basically at the end of the runway of Leeds Bradford who seem to get a lot of snow and I can imagine since it's the highest airport in England!

And about marginal snow; in early December in 2008 I remember we had a good 2 or 3 inches of snow, yet Hipperholme 5 minutes away, had just a slight dusting on the grass and by the time we were in Brighouse there was no sign of snow what so ever!

I read that the snow margin for England was on average between 140m and 160m asl for the winter months, so if you live above that (which we both do!) then we should do well! I can back this claim up as well because Brighouse at 99m asl always gets wet snow that hardly sticks, yet Wyke which is literally a 2 minute drive or a 10 minute walk away is at 155m and does very well with snow and can have inches when Brighouse has none!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I have family who live basically at the end of the runway of Leeds Bradford who seem to get a lot of snow and I can imagine since it's the highest airport in England!

And about marginal snow; in early December in 2008 I remember we had a good 2 or 3 inches of snow, yet Hipperholme 5 minutes away, had just a slight dusting on the grass and by the time we were in Brighouse there was no sign of snow what so ever!

I read that the snow margin for England was on average between 140m and 160m asl for the winter months, so if you live above that (which we both do!) then we should do well! I can back this claim up as well because Brighouse at 99m asl always gets wet snow that hardly sticks, yet Wyke which is literally a 2 minute drive or a 10 minute walk away is at 155m and does very well with snow and can have inches when Brighouse has none!

On a lot of occasions, there's around an inch of snow here, but in the city centre of Leeds, there's nothing. This was evident in January this year on the 7nth on my way back from Leeds city centre there was no snow but there was around a centimeter here, and I'm only around 90 meters above sea level!

Posted

On a lot of occasions, there's around an inch of snow here, but in the city centre of Leeds, there's nothing. This was evident in January this year on the 7nth on my way back from Leeds city centre there was no snow but there was around a centimeter here, and I'm only around 90 meters above sea level!

It's always a good idea to stay away from city centres as well if you're looking for snow as they can be up to 4°C warmer than the outskirts and almost 7°C warmer than rural areas! the centre of Leeds is only a mere 10m asl too so it won't fare too well during marginal conditions!

Posted

i thought the centre of leeds was around 50. i remember the 7th, it had snowed and was settling well around lunch but begun to melt in the centre soon after it stopped though we got heavy rain in the evening anyway.

Posted

It's always a good idea to stay away from city centres as well if you're looking for snow as they can be up to 4°C warmer than the outskirts and almost 7°C warmer than rural areas! the centre of Leeds is only a mere 10m asl too so it won't fare too well during marginal conditions!

Its actually not that low down, despite been in a valley/side of a valley.

The train station is at 50M ASL, The Headrow where Primark is, is 65M ASL, and Leeds Uni near Morrisons is 93M.

Posted

Lol trisnow there's always some grumpy old sod who has to whine and moan about anything & everything. I enjoyed those videos and what did she contribute other than walking around a snow-covered roundabout the wrong way? jack-squat lol. Keep up the snow vids into this year if you can good.gif