Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Help With Weather Station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, if so please point me in the right direction. I basically just want to know where is the best place to put my weather station? The only place i can think to get a true wind reading etc is on the chimney but I think there is more chance of Santa coming down it than someone actually climbing up there for me. Where do you all have yours?

thanks

Liz

Posted

Thank you, I knew I had seen a forum with weather stations mentioned but I couldnt find it!

Posted

Liz, you raise a good point about wind speed, and it was a concern of mine for a long time living in a built up area.

I have just moved my sensor, and it now sits on top of a 10ft aluminium pole, which in turn is fixed to the top of a 7ft pergola.

This now really does place it nicely in the wind flow around the area and sufficient to avoid being sheltered by the house, which is 20ft away.

I use a 32mm aluminium pole, as used by TV aerial fitters, plus a mounting bracket.

Fortunately their a local supplier so it was easy to obtain.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yep same. Mine is mounted on a arch/pergola although not as high up as Dorsetbred's. Best I can do in a small terraced back garden. smile.png

Posted

I had thought of some kind of pole, but after reading your reply and seeing that you had wrote tv aerial fitters it gave me an idea, never thought of asking them if they would mount it on the chimney for me! Ive just rang some local fitters and they have said they would mount it on the chimney on a pole for me :) ive had the station since last christmas but as i knew we were moving house this summer i didnt want it put up at the old house. I cant wait to get it all set up now, im hoping to get some sort of little website set up for it. thanks for the replies :)

Posted

I had thought of some kind of pole, but after reading your reply and seeing that you had wrote tv aerial fitters it gave me an idea, never thought of asking them if they would mount it on the chimney for me! Ive just rang some local fitters and they have said they would mount it on the chimney on a pole for me smile.png ive had the station since last christmas but as i knew we were moving house this summer i didnt want it put up at the old house. I cant wait to get it all set up now, im hoping to get some sort of little website set up for it. thanks for the replies smile.png

Look forward to seeing it reporting

Posted

Hi all, well its semi set up!! I have it attached to my washing pole for now until i can get it up on the roof, so should hopefully have accurate readings for everything apart from wind speed. I am doing updates on twitter at the moment, if anybody is interested feel free to follow me, username is @jarrowforecast

Edited by lizmartin1981

Posted

Sorry to keep going on about this!!! I just wanted to share that the evening chronicle (local newcastle paper) have seen what i am doing on twitter and want to run a story on it. Feel a bit silly as I am completely new to it, hope it turns out ok

Liz

Posted

Yeah they are coming to take a photo on Wednesday. I just hope they do it from a good point of view, and not a "married, pregnant mum of 4 finds time to obsess over the weather"....! You never know it might get more people to take an interest in the weather. I only wanted some more followers to bore lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I was wandering if u guys could suggest what type of weatherstation i could use as i only have verry limited eyesight and can't see the display i use a screenreader on my pc. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

I wolud like to add that I am a TV aerial installer - in the South East.....and would be happy to install weather related equipment on roofs chimneys etc.... mine is... yeah you guessed it... on the Chinmey :)

Posted

post-847-0-62768000-1317628022_thumb.jpg

hi

Can you see the link above when you click on it?

Its my wx stn summary from a Davis wireless version but I'm sure others will be able to suggest a cheaper option.

good luck anyway.

Posted

The standard web page produced by Weather-Display software is quite a simple table layout which the reader should cope with - or you could enlarge if need be.

To clarify you can produce and view this on your connected computer without actually uploading to a web page.

So an important consideration would be to ensure you have computer USB connection on the station you bought, as that will give you more ways to view data.

A lot of the consoles seem to want to show too much data which you generally don't look at most days.

ideally you'd maybe want one with a larger display where default showed temperature, but could be cycled so the main display was rain/wind or whatever was significant in any particular day.