Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday 6th Sept - Storms, high winds and rain

Backtrack

Posted

NMM charts are pretty impressive too. I'm looking at that coastline around the Thames estuary from midday

onwards tomorrow at the surface, but look at the upper wind further North through the middle of the country:

post-6667-0-92731000-1315210979.jpg

post-6667-0-85230400-1315210988.jpg

post-6667-0-66290700-1315211001.jpg

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_LL-TURBULENCE-STANDARD_48.gif?{ts%20

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_UL-TURBULENCE-STANDARD_48.gif?{ts%20

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-MWA_SFC_42_00Z.png?{ts%20

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_GPH-WIND-ISOTACHS_300_42_00Z.png?{ts%20

For anyone heading to the States tomorrow, its going to be bumpy and take a little longer to get there. Coming into the UK across the Atlantic should be quick, but still a bit rough!

post-6667-0-92731000-1315210979_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-85230400-1315210988_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-66290700-1315211001_thumb.jp

Posted

oooh i love a good autumn storm! High wind has always fascinated me! My fascination with wind started the night of 87! I'll never forget it! I was living in tunbridge wells ! Im thinking we could get some high wind here tomorrow! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Woohoo. Should be fun. haven't had anything like that for a very long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Looking forward to this, the first decent storm of autumn. Shame it will be in the middle of the night when i will be asleep.

Nothing that out of the ordinary for my location at this time of year, we would usually have several forcast of this magnitude over the year. Met office have gusts to 54mph with Netweather forcasting gusts of 50mph both in the early hours of the morning. Will be very surprised to see anything other than maybe one or two gusts over 50 mph here, you never know though!.

Posted

Wow not often you se SE Essex in the worst affected area in the whole UK

What, 'storm alley' ? rofl.gif

GFS has it right over your house midday onwards:

gfs_stp_eur30.png

gfs_srh_eur30.png

gfs_stp_eur33.png

gfs_srh_eur33.png

sfcwind0.curr.1200lst.d2.png

post-6667-0-42168800-1315228062.pngblwindshear.curr.1500lst.d2.png

post-6667-0-42168800-1315228062_thumb.pn

Posted

Yet still not a bean from the Meto ?? Maybe this will be bad if they have nothing highlighted, good job the trampoline came down at the weekend as those things fly all over the place rofl.gif

Posted

Latest update was in the middle of the night, but looks like:

Weather forecast: London & South East England

Tuesday:

Cloudy, very windy and mostly wet. Becoming drier and brighter from the west late in the day, with this drier weather not reaching Kent until evening. Maximum temperature 19 °C.

Updated: 0343 on Mon 5 Sep 2011

Weather forecast: East of England

Tuesday:

A cloudy morning, with some further rain. Becoming brighter from the west during the afternoon with a little sunshine but also with a few blustery showers developing. Windy. Maximum temperature 18 °C.

Updated: 0343 on Mon 5 Sep 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Yet still not a bean from the Meto ?? Maybe this will be bad if they have nothing highlighted, good job the trampoline came down at the weekend as those things fly all over the place rofl.gif

I get so fed up with having my peace & quiet ruined whilst in the garden by noisy neighbourhood kids on flippin' trampolines that I will be cheering any of their trampolines that go flying (unless they damage my house then I'll be even madder!) blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

62mph winds expected?

Last time it was that windy I got blown over when I walked past a really tall building. It created a sort of wind tunnel. It would have been OK, except for it happened in front of a group of foreign tourists.help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Already 23mph Gusting 43mph here. I have to ask as I am not very familiar with those charts posted above, surely there's no thunderstorm activity forecasted?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Doesn't look to be a bad day really for my region tomorrow...Some overnight rain, a bit gusty during the overnight period, then mainly sunny tomorrow with the odd shower and fairly breezy...Storm? what storm?.....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yep....quiet from the MetO, meaning we're going to get screwed tomorrow :rofl:

Have to say the journey into work, then home again, is going to be bad to say the least! Expecting widespread travel disruption to say the least!

Can't forget the fact that this is a bad depression for the time of the year (storm? Undecided on whether this is likely to be 'storm' potential)...it's only just September and winds in the region of 40-60mph are possible...trees are still in full bloom meaning branches and maybe even whole trees could come down with relative ease! That's not including the potential for structural damage!

Edited by Harry

Posted

I have to ask as I am not very familiar with those charts posted above, surely there's no thunderstorm activity forecasted?

You'll be too busy checking out the winds to worry about TStorms! biggrin.png

There is however a convective element to tomorrow but I think it's going to be mainly limited to helical activity

gfs_cape_eur30.png

gfs_icape_eur30.png

gfs_layer_eur30.png

gfs_kili_eur30.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Doesn't look to be a bad day really for my region tomorrow...Some overnight rain, a bit gusty during the overnight period, then mainly sunny tomorrow with the odd shower and fairly breezy...Storm? what storm?.....lol

Thats why I dont like Autumn tbh. Its very Boring here in the Midlands. Too inland for the Wind and as usual we are usually one of the driest places also. Not cold but not warm either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I'd estimate we've had gusts in the 35 to 40mph range here in Upminster since around lunchtime, judging by the weather forecast for tonight and tommorow morning I expect we could get gusts in access of 45mph occasionally 55-60mph.

Posted

Got to love the old Current Bun!!!

Brits set for hail, gales and storms

BRITAIN is set for a battering this week with gale-force winds, hail storms and lightning expected from today.

Met Office forecasters are considering issuing extreme weather warnings and say the whole country will be rocked by the Atlantic storm. The battering – marking the start of autumn weather – comes just days after temperatures soared to 27°C (80°F), hotter than Mexico City and Madrid. Winds of up to 57mph – strong enough to blow roof tiles off – and torrential downpours are set to last from today until Wednesday.

Tom Morgan, of the Met Office, warned it will be "quite a washout". He added: "The whole country will see very strong winds and heavy showers which could easily give 5mm to 10mm of rain in an hour. "Autumn is certainly starting this week, although summer can always make a return." The West is expected to be worst-hit. Mr Morgan said the rest of the week will remain windy and wet, with any sunny spells "short-lived".

http://www.thesun.co...and-storms.html

Gales of up to 57mph are predicted for this lunchtime in southern England, spreading northwards over the course of the day. Heavy rainfall is forecast for tomorrow – worsening at times o torrential downpours – along with thunder, lightning and hail.

The Met Office may issue extreme weather warnings as the country faces winds ranked at 10 (from a maximum of 12) on the Beaufort scale – strong enough to blow branches from trees and knock slates from roofs. The West will initially bear the brunt of the bad weather as it comes in from the Atlantic, but all regions will be affected as the storm moves eastwards.

Met Office forecaster Tom Morgan warned that ‘persistent rain is a concern, while there is also likely to be hail and thunder, especially in the West’. He added: ‘The whole country will see very strong south-westerly winds on Monday, and heavy showers which could easily give 5mm [0.2in] to 10mm [0.4in] of rain in an hour. 'Tuesday is more of a concern, with heavy and prolonged rain in the West, with the whole country seeing spells.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033631/Storms-winds-57mph-batter-Britain-autumn-begins--just-days-basked-27C-sunshine.html#ixzz1X5kXSA00

May issue a warning - are they going to hedge their bets and wait until the morning then? whistling.gif

Posted

As the Netweather warning states,there's a risk of falling branches due to the trees being in full leaf at this time of year. Given that some of the trees around here appear to be rather fragile, I can't say that I'm looking forward to this stormy spell. Luckily, it seems I won't be among the worst affected areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Their forecasting the pottencial for 70mph gusts on exposed coasts now, that's quite unusual for this early in the autumn some may even say we are in late summer. Gales dont normally occur until late September early October at the earliest.