Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday 6th Sept - Storms, high winds and rain

Backtrack

Posted

I'm still plumbing for those North Kent and Essex coasts to see the biggest gusts, as it exits East later tomorrow:

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-MWA_SFC_36_00Z.png

post-6667-0-84318300-1315236813.jpg

It's not that the MetO are being quiet, it's that this thread is ramping it up a bit.

Do you think so? whistling.gif

Here's today's so far from NW and quite gusty close to my current location:

post-6667-0-69181300-1315237252.jpg

post-6667-0-84318300-1315236813_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-69181300-1315237252_thumb.jp

Posted

It's not that the MetO are being quiet, it's that this thread is ramping it up a bit.

lol! yep maybe but if aareas reach 50-60 mph winds surely that is a concern seeing as trees are still in full leaf....so maybe we are not ramping this up! I think we all agree that it is going to be ' potentially' bad! That doesn't mean it actually will! I am definetly excited about the potential of some lively weather...but hoping that it wont cause too much danger to the public. ...and just want to say that the wind is really getting up here...i do not know how strong the wind gusts have been but im guessing easily 30-35 mph in the last hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

62mph winds expected?

Last time it was that windy I got blown over when I walked past a really tall building. It created a sort of wind tunnel. It would have been OK, except for it happened in front of a group of foreign tourists.help.gif

Yeah, some poor unlucky bloke got killed in Leeds in March during gales, due to a skyscraper creating a dangerous wind tunnel.

Looks like I'm going to miss the high winds, dosent help that I'm about as far from the coast you can get!

I wouldn't be so sure.. I'm pretty far from the coast but I got 61 mph gusts earlier this year despite being located inland and on the east of the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I'm still plumbing for those North Kent and Essex coasts to see the biggest gusts, as it exits East later tomorrow:

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-MWA_SFC_36_00Z.png

post-6667-0-84318300-1315236813.jpg

Judging by that wind gusts map looks like somewhere up the Thames estuary is going to get the highest gusts, not too far from me maybe 20 miles east or so. Approaching 55mph in that zone by the looks of it :)

Posted

thanks coast! for the data! I was guessing we had a few gusts in the last hour of max 35 mph! so maybe my guess is close to the mark looking at manston! Do you think i could see some pretty windy weather here in my area? .... im not on the coast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

If I am correct, this is ex Hurricane Irene?

Good thing I live 90-100ft up then, nothing tree like shall hit me unless they are taller than this building, and in that case I can't see them higher than this building. search.gif

Maybe the Metoffice know something we don't? However there are the following which I don't quite understand as it's not in Knots... http://www.metoffice..._printable.html

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

...and just want to say that the wind is really getting up here...i do not know how strong the wind gusts have been but im guessing easily 30-35 mph in the last hour

I would go along with that, we've had 35mph here easily I would say, it's going to get stronger tonight probably peaking around the rush hour tommorow morning as the heaviest of the rain passes through. And your right 50-60mph would warrent a more publisized weather warning, but I only expect that coastal areas will see gusts this high, inland more typically 40mph.

No I dont think it is, I think Irene moved up into Greenland and Iceland then moved east just passing nothern Scotland sometime last week by which time it was hardly anything at all just got abit breezy in Shetland I think. This low is too far south!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
I would go along with that, we've had 35mph here easily I would say, it's going to get stronger tonight probably peaking around the rush hour tommorow morning as the heaviest of the rain passes through. And your right 50-60mph would warrent a more publisized weather warning, but I only expect that coastal areas will see gusts this high, inland more typically 40mph. No I dont think it is, I think Irene moved up into Greenland and Iceland then moved east just passing nothern Scotland sometime last week by which time it was hardly anything at all just got abit breezy in Shetland I think. This low is too far south!

40mph is strong for this time of year and will be more than capable of being a risk to life! A large branch falling is more than enough to kill an adult, let alone whole trees coming down.

I would go along with that, we've had 35mph here easily I would say, it's going to get stronger tonight probably peaking around the rush hour tommorow morning as the heaviest of the rain passes through. And your right 50-60mph would warrent a more publisized weather warning, but I only expect that coastal areas will see gusts this high, inland more typically 40mph.

No I dont think it is, I think Irene moved up into Greenland and Iceland then moved east just passing nothern Scotland sometime last week by which time it was hardly anything at all just got abit breezy in Shetland I think. This low is too far south!

The main force of Irene went into Greenland, although it's fair to say elements of Irene will be in there somewhere

Posted

thanks coast! for the data! I was guessing we had a few gusts in the last hour of max 35 mph! so maybe my guess is close to the mark looking at manston! Do you think i could see some pretty windy weather here in my area? .... im not on the coast!

I think quite a few places inland may still see some damaging gusts, but the exact location will be difficult to pin down. I think more North Kent for the bigger gusts but perhaps some sustained stuff right through from SW counties early morning all the way up to Lincolnshire as the day moves on. I'm going to take a complete punt on Gravesend or Rayleigh seeing a 65 mph gust tomorrow!! (that's should stop me doing Ant and Dec's Red or Black? !!!)

Posted

Took a walk in the lower Goyt Valley today, whilst I wasn't exactly dodging tree branches just yet the ground & bark is very saturated and many of the tree's in leaf were already sagging from the water saturation seen by todays showers. There was one or two larger branches on the ground but I can imagine with inner city parks and forests such as around Guildford, Nottingham, etc any such wind gusts into tonight will only exacerbate the extent of things further. Not factoring in Dutch elm disease aswell which isn't evident until the bark is completely eaten away internally.

Posted

40mph is strong for this time of year and will be more than capable of being a risk to life! A large branch falling is more than enough to kill an adult, let alone whole trees coming down.

LOL 40mph is a strong wind I grant you that, but it's barely enougth to bring down a branch let alone a tree. Winds would have to be gusting in access of 55mph to do significant damage to branches, and well over 65-70mph to bring a major tree down 60mph might just rip up a baby sapling.

Really getting up here now with just had a gust that must have been pushing 40mph :0 Shock horror a tree has just crashed through my window....not! lol :) It's just started to rain too.

Posted

Aviation weather for tomorrow morning and a close up of the area over us, taken from it:

2103.gif

post-6667-0-89652200-1315239420.jpg

Met wind symbols.gif

post-6667-0-89652200-1315239420_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Awesome little sqaull here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
LOL 40mph is a strong wind I grant you that, but it's barely enougth to bring down a branch let alone a tree. Winds would have to be gusting in access of 55mph to do significant damage to branches, and well over 65-70mph to bring a major tree down 60mph might just rip up a baby sapling. Really getting up here now with just had a gust that must have been pushing 40mph :0 Shock horror a tree has just crashed through my window....not! lol :) It's just started to rain too.

Indeed 40mph may have been a slight exaggeration, not entirely sure the sarcasm was needed! Wind speeds well over 65-70mph is equated with trees/branches down in winter....it takes considerably less this time of the year...I'm going to stay clear of trying to quote figures but your expectations of 70mph+ are a little high IMO.

Posted

I just hope the new video camera turns up in the morning.If it does I will be spending the day on the beach!

Posted

Maybe the Metoffice know something we don't? However there are the following which I don't quite understand as it's not in Knots... http://www.metoffice..._printable.html

Nope. As others have said Irene veered off somewhere between Greenland and Iceland. Re the Beaufort scale and converting to knots .......

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/guide/beaufortscale.html

Posted

Indeed 40mph may have been a slight exaggeration, not entirely sure the sarcasm was needed! Wind speeds well over 65-70mph is equated with trees/branches down in winter....it takes considerably less this time of the year...I'm going to stay clear of trying to quote figures but your expectations of 70mph+ are a little high IMO.

As I said with trees at this time of year in full leaf 55-60mph could pottencially bring down smaller trees which is what has been forecast for coastal regions!

Posted

After some good spells of sunshine earlier the sky is turning very grey and dark now! sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

It is gpoing be windy :) not had a strong gale for a while so this will be welcome for me

Posted

I think the BBC forecasts have slightly underestimated some of the winds we could get tommorow, they've predicted 50mph but the speed in which the wind arrows moved through when I watched the lunchtime forecast earlier suggested nearer 70mph on south facing coasts and maybe as much as 60mph even around London and the home counties.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

They definitely underestimated it to begin with. The wind speeds forecast on the Met Office site have increased from 40 mph a few days ago to 49 mph.

Edited by aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

A squall line may form tonight ahead of the cold front, and move towards the s.e. overnight, this could bring severe gusts 70mph, or may tornadoes as it passes through, IF it develops ..