Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday 6th Sept - Storms, high winds and rain

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

My last update for overnight tonight and into tomorrow. Caution is advised in the pink areas.

tues2.png

post-8895-0-58483500-1315242073_thumb.pn

Posted

My last update for overnight tonight and into tomorrow. Caution is advised in the pink areas.

tues2.png

if your right about this backtrack im sitting in the pink zone! kool :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Nope. As others have said Irene veered off somewhere between Greenland and Iceland. Re the Beaufort scale and converting to knots .......

http://www.metoffice...ufortscale.html

Thanks very much, that's absolutely amazing - so good I Favorited it. I've just had a look at the last one, on the Beaufort wind scale and it says 12 is a Hurricane, surely it's still considered an extra-tropical cyclone even if those sustained winds hit 115mph+?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

And I'm sitting in the boring orange zone. :p

Posted

Thanks very much, that's absolutely amazing - so good I Favorited it. I've just had a look at the last one, on the Beaufort wind scale and it says 12 is a Hurricane, surely it's still considered an extra-tropical cyclone even if those sustained winds hit 115mph+?

Scale 12 is hurricane force, not a hurricane itself, lol

Posted

Scale 12 is hurricane force, not a hurricane itself, lol

Hit me now?? However we could debate it all day, if it's giving the exact weather as a Hurricane and looks like one on the satellite.

I am guessing this Squal line for tomorrow will setup some nasty Thunderstorms for the UK?

Posted

if your right about this backtrack im sitting in the pink zone! kool smile.png

Very confident in your area. It will be hard hit. :p

Posted

okay....so metweather have got 50-60 wind gusts at 10:00 on tuesday morning in many places around the south east! especially near and around the coasts, If this wind has the potential to knock loose slates off a roof or bring a large branch crashing onto a car how can this not warrant a weather warning? im confused!search.gif

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted

Thunderstorms? Where?!

Hit me now?? However we could debate it all day, if it's giving the exact weather as a Hurricane and looks like one on the satellite.

I am guessing this Squal line for tomorrow will setup some nasty Thunderstorms for the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Im looking forward to recording a nice large rainfall total!

Don't expect any exceptional wind here although it all depends on what ale I drink later this evening! nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some bright echoes now showing on radar over the welsh coastline & welsh mountains indicative of some heavy rainfall...As we're in the 'rain shadow' of the mountains (for westerly winds) it'll be interesting to see if rainfall can maintain intensity or give us 'windy drizzle'! ....Lord knows, the garden needs some decent rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

I'm in the red zone although I'm not too far away from the coast so could be some strong gusts. 7.5mm of rain so far today.

If there's one thing the UK does well it's rain and gales lol.

Posted

The 12z NAE shows wind speeds of 35-40mph along the south coast and up the eastward facing North Sea coasts as far as Norfolk, so gales here with some gusts of upto 60mph should be expected. This isn't a particularly bad storm, more conspicuous for presenting itself this early in the season than anything else IMO.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/09/05/basis12/ukuk/ismh/11090609_0512.gif

Edited by pinball wizard

Posted

The 12z NAE shows wind speeds of 35-40mph along the south coast and up the eastward facing North Sea coasts as far as Norfolk, so gales here with some gusts of upto 60mph should be expected. This isn't a particularly bad storm, more conspicuous for presenting itself this early in the season than anything else IMO.

http://expert-images...090609_0512.gif

That's what I thought? What was that storm we had in the early 00s that gave us 90/100mph winds? It took out a tree that was 100ft in my nan/grandads back garden. I seem to remember that was particularly bad for the South East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Woohoo! In the pink zone.

Wait a minute that sounds wrong....

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

We are due a big blow. Not had a serious one for a bit. As for ex Hurricanes --- Remnants of Hurricane Danny crashed through these parts Sept 2 and 3 2009. Brought some trees down. I also remember tail end of Hurricane Charlie hitting us late July or very early August mid 1980s. Flattened my sweet peas and drenched a relative cycling over Carter Bar on his way to Edinburgh.

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Backtrack, September 5, 2011 - Requested from Rob
Hidden by Backtrack, September 5, 2011 - Requested from Rob

Latest from me:

Overnight tonight and into tomorrow we see a deep area of low pressure developing in the Atlantic, with the center being just West of Scotland, we can expect some gusty winds aswell as fairly heavy and persistent rain.

As the night goes on, the low pressure system will ease its way Eastwards towards the United Kingdom, deepening further as it does so, with it will be a strong South Westerly wind, gradually turning WSW into tomorrow morning. We can expect winds gusting upwards of 60mph on Western facing coasts, perhaps even higher in isolated spots, especially so on Western facing hills. It would seem that Scotland will miss out on most of the action however, with the center of the low being closer. Unfortunately this does not mean dry conditions. They too will be sharing the very wet conditions overnight tonight and into tomorrow. Temperatures remaining on the mild side though, 15C under the rain band. The areas facing the brunt of the winds can also expect quite a significant Autumnal windchill.

Eventually we do see the low moving into the North Sea on Wednesday, but there will still be some fairly strong gusting winds about in the East, and especially the far North of Scotland. Wednesday will not be a particularly dry day either, with heavy showers for Northern England and Scotland. Drier and slightly calmer in the South, bar the far Southern coast, where we hang on to the gusty winds.

Thursday now and there's no change. We see a band of heavy rain crossing Eastwards, fresh from the Atlantic. This will be affecting Northern England, North Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. It would seem Southern parts are very likely to stay dry, perhaps with some showers around. Temperatures could touch 22C in some places before the front arrives. Enjoy those temperatures while you can.

Friday sees a warm day in the South, temperatures hitting 24-25C. Elsewhere it's mid-high teens with further rain for the North.

Edited by Backtrack
Posted

Hmmm, not really liking the look of this to be honest. Today on the South Coast we had F7 gusting F8 and I now have loads of apples and pears on the ground, Tomorrow this is the Shipping forecast for my area.

Wight

Gale warnings - Issued: 0936 UTC Mon 05 Sep

Southwesterly gale force 8 continuing, increasing severe gale force 9 later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1625 UTC Mon 05 Sep

Wind Southwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 later. Sea State Rough or very rough. Weather Rain. Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

A severe gale 9 at this time of year is no fun and my poor pear tree is so dripping with (unripe) fruit that I am certainly expecting I could lose some branches off it as it is so laden I have already had to prop up branches with wood. This is likely to have a devastating effect on any orchards in Kent.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

not expecting to much here at all!

maybe 30 mph

Give us a chance at some exciting weather. You always nick it in the Autumn and Winter Lol. Anyway we wont get anything good here. Some Light rain and a slight breeze. Its all you get in this Desert. :lol:

Posted

Looks to be a rather boring event away from the south..