Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2011/2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's worth noting Aaron that we don't all have a preference in cold weather... what I would give to have mild, dry winter. It's unlikely to happen, a mild wet winter is more likely, but one thing I could do without is a cold winter, horrible getting up for work when it is below -3C nearly every morning (like last winter) - the body shock is less than desirable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

In principle I agree with JH, but on the contrary, people can stick extra layers of clothing, so there is no real reason to complain. That's what I do during winter, put a cardy on. Simples?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

who pays your fuel bills mate?

have you got elderly relatives and perhaps wonder how they might cope?

I do remember 1947 as a kid and loved it

I worked through 1962-63 and by mid January it was way past a joke believe me.

Last December was unique, well pretty near to unique, and it was causing huge problems before it ended, transport, moving food etc, a large increase in hospital admissions.

I like your idea of short sharp cold and snowy spells but not prolonged thanks.

Everybody has the right to express what weather is there dream obviously they dont want any harm to come to anyone or anything like that obviously and dont want any problems eg to transport and stuff like that but surely this goes without saying? :)

Posted

December 3.2c with long frosty spells

January 2.8c mild first week then cold with a sprinkling of snow lasting a week or so

February 7.0c mild throughout with little frost or snow

Yep that seems like a good winter for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I wouldn't want a repeat of last year tbh, that's not to say I don't like cold and snowy weather but the endless cold days freezing my nuts off in the mornings then trying to keep warm through the day, frozen pipes with no water, road chaos, grandparents scared to go out in the ice and snow incase they fall then Christmas ruined as family didn't travel up...

I would like snow and cold over winter, not quite as severe and prolonged.

What I would like is an active winter period on the Atlantic front with some winter storms racing through with the jet stream spinning some impressive depressions - this is long overdue.

Posted

My ideal winter would mirror "A Winters Tale's" hopes but I appreciate all the hardships a severe winter would bring,as one hardly ever gets what one wants I can but hope ,some of us will be right but there is no harm in wishing.

Posted

My ideal winter would be. . .

December

First Half - dry, sunny, frost by night

Second Half - very snowy for the run up to Christmas, then post Christmas blue skies and deep cold.

January

First Half - continuation of the deep cold, similar to January 2010

Second half - snow and cold continues, a very cold January overall

February

First Half - Atlantic fronts push into the UK, at first some huge snow falls and deep drifts in blizzard conditions, mild eventually wins, thaw and rain.

Second Half - High pressure, mild and sunny by day, frost by night

Posted

I am a hermit, so my ideal winter would be snow all the way, (with little gaps in between to stock up on essentials) ;-). No I am in no way going to get this, but no harm in living in cloud cukoo land once in a while. What I really hate though is rain rain rain and more rain, so really hope we don't get this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I can confirm that December 1999 was pretty snowy where I was and it is among one of the top 5 snowiest months of my life. Wasn't bitterly cold but snow fell every few days and there were plenty of accumilations. Although there were not snowfests in this period, I always loved the winters between 1999 and 2002 with plenty of snow spells (even restricted to a few days) that actually brought snow (compared to 2006/2007 which saw plenty of cold spells but no snow). Also, the weather overall was decent with nice sunny days, foggy nights, frost, large snowfalls and clear skies with the odd storm.

My Dream Winter would be:

November 15 - Below Average Temperatures Arrive

November 20 - First Snowfall

November 25> - Big Freeze takes hold

December - Lying snow every day, Short less cold spell mid month, max snow depth 60cm.

December - Coldest Every UK Temp

Widespread White Christmas

December - Coldest ever, lots of snow aswell as ice days and sunshine/clear nights. Low temps every day and snow every day from snow flurries to mega blizzards.

January - Not quite as heavy or persistent snow as Big Freeze continues.

January 15 - Big Freeze ends.

Rest of January - Rest bite, then a pattern of 5 day intense and very cold/snowy spells followed by rain, then crisp sunshine, some fog then back to snow.

Febuary - Same pattern throughout with some large Battleground snowfalls.

Febuary - A very cold and snowy two week spell mid month.

December CET = -3C

January CET = -0.6C

Febuary CET = 2.1C

Winter CET = -0.48C

Indeed, I don't doubt you at all but it wouldn't be right to discribe that winter as snowy if only parts of Scotland got plenty of snow. The same would have to be said if other places around the uk saw some snow. For a UK wide summary then "little snow" just about covers that winter :) but thanks for filling us in with that winter mate.

I did have a web link to site that had a broader log of winters past (1950) to present but could't seem to find it when I typed that lot out. Shame NetWeather have deleted my old posts during their previous updates becuase I've posted it quite a few times before lol.

Posted

In principle I agree with JH, but on the contrary, people can stick extra layers of clothing, so there is no real reason to complain. That's what I do during winter, put a cardy on. Simples?

My ex used to put the heating on full blast and then walk round in shorts.....and she wondered why heating costs so much!!! Well she didn't actually because she didn't have a bloody clue how much it cost. Stick the heating at 17 and wear some clothes!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As many others will be aware, I'm not a fan of the "people are selfish if they want very disruptive weather" line, but I do support the line, "careful what you wish for". December 2010 passed by without too much incident for many of us, so it was tempting to think that a similarly cold January in 2011 might have just meant more of the same. However, I remember a couple of posts by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts warning that if January 2011 had been similarly cold, the ground could well have frozen over to enough of an extent to cut off our electricity supplies- and in that case the level of hardship would have risen dramatically, to a level that most of the younger generations couldn't possibly comprehend.

My stance on cold snowy weather, judging by the last two winters, appears to be that although the novelty value wears off after about 3-6 days, I don't get tired of it until either 1. the snow turns very icy or 2. I get snowed in or deprived of electricity/supplies for upwards of a few days (which surprised me to be honest- I thought I'd tire of it regardless after 3-6 days). Cleadon got lucky in the first sense during December 2010, as the temporary warm-up on the 4th was insufficient to turn the snow to ice (a max of just 2.8C) whereas in Yorkshire (so I'm told) a week of rock-solid ice cover followed.

However, though I thought it was great to be able to experience a sub-zero month, I maintain that my "ideal" winter would have a mix of mild and cold spells- some sharp snowy interludes, typically 3-6 days' duration, perhaps the odd longer one (Christmas-New Year perhaps) but also some milder showery Atlantic-type interludes and the occasional warm dry sunny interlude as well (like the second week of February 2008 produced for many of us).

Re. the winter of 1999/2000, December 1999 was indeed snowy in parts of Scotland, and the winter as a whole was snowy at high levels, but most of lowland England and Wales had a fair amount of sleet/wet snow in December which didn't settle, and the only notable snow event in January or February was from the polar maritime incursion on the 16th February. On my "winter snow events" index it only made 25, taking the UK as a whole, which put it well behind any of the last three winters.

Posted

My ideal winter would consist of short,sharp cold spells like Jan 87 with milder interludes inbetween. Whilst I enjoyed Dec 2010, for my region it didn't come even close to the severity of Jan 87. Having said this the E,ly of Jan 87 was pretty unique especially how bitterly cold the airmass was.

What I don't want is another 62/63 or 47. Firstly I couldn't afford a winter like that plus the hardship it would cause. So I agree with John H comments.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Don't see why people have such a problem with low night time minima.

No one likes getting up early for work/college/school in the morning. But a good old -3C will soon wake you up when you step outside.

The elderly desire heat in the summer, so let them have summer, let us have the cold in the winter. laugh.png

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

As we are now Beyond Summer and into Autumn I think now is the time for a thread dedicated to certain time of year known as winter. With the presence of Northern Blocking, the first snows in Eastern and Northern Russia (better than this time last year) and other such factors, it looks favourable for something cold this winter. Whether we are restricted to a two week big freeze with once in every while 4 day cold spells following or an incredible Big Freeze winter is totally uncertain, however the picture will get clearer as we progress through Autumn. A weak La Nina would be decent for a cold weather, a strengthening La Nina could find us heading into winter with a cold start and a mild end.

Whether you are hoping for the coldest winter on record with frequent snow and depths of two feet or a winter with endless storms or even sunshine with pleasant temperature with the frost, this is the place to discuss Winter Properly from now until the end......of Winter 2011/2012.

I hope for 1 cold spell where we get a huge dumping of snow cause I do like snow, however I couldn't stand last winter through November/December at least when we had that long freezing spell of weather and the roads got very slippery with ice and slush! We never achieved a huge amount of snow in 1 go here last year it was like a couple of inches at a time but cause of the extremely cold temperatures even with that little amount of snow it took ages to thaw away!

It was also so cold I fell ill with several nasty colds and 1 of them was so bad I would say I had the flu, I never had it diagnosed but I was laid up in bed for over a week so it must have been. :(

Posted

LOL you cant win when you get old, the elderly dont want a cold winter nor do they desire a hot summer! Ideally they would like temperatures to just be somewhere in the middle lmao, which in hindsight I think we all do :)

Posted

Not really.

My grandparents adore the heat!

Posted

My grandparents adore the heat!

Yes but that's being very specific and your genralising, in the main old people prefer it if it wasn't too hot cause for them it can proove dangerous as it can for anyone else for that matter, but more so for the elderly! Sure there are some who like it hot as I'm sure your grandparents do and probably always have done but that dont mean they all do,

Posted

You mean 25C or 35C?

If it were up to them, they'd have it at 40C everyday. They always jet off to Spain!

Yes but that's being very specific and your genralising, in the main old people prefer it if it wasn't too hot cause for them it can proove dangerous as it can for anyone else for that matter, but more so for the elderly! Sure there are some who like it hot as I'm sure your grandparents do and probably always have done but that dont mean they all do,

Yeah, I was being a little bias. They've always loved the heat and frequently go abroad, they're used to it.

Posted

If it were up to them, they'd have it at 40C everyday. They always jet off to Spain!

Yeah, I was being a little bias. They've always loved the heat and frequently go abroad, they're used to it.

Good for them, 40C abroad as extremely hot as that is I actually find more comfortable then 30C over here because in the meditarranian climate it's a differant sort of heat, much more dry and less sweaty, I hate the horrible headachy, and humid heat we get in the UK.

Posted

Good for them, 40C abroad as extremely hot as that is I actually find more comfortable then 30C over here because in the meditarranian climate it's a differant sort of heat, much more dry and less sweaty, I hate the horrible headachy, and humid heat we get in the UK.

Aye, 25C is enough for me, especially when it's going to be warm at night.

Can't stand the humid horrible heat here in the UK sometimes.

Posted

Aye, 25C is enough for me, especially when it's going to be warm at night.

Can't stand the humid horrible heat here in the UK sometimes.

Agreed lol :)

Personally I do not like the changeable weather in winter which so many asked for with a continued freeze/thaw situation because although I love snow I hate slush.

I loved the winter of 62/63, so for me an ideal winter would be snow (the powdery type) interspersed with periods of blue sky and sunshine from mid Dec to the first week of Feb to be followed by an early spring thaw as the sun elevates.

LOL you cant win when you get old, the elderly dont want a cold winter nor do they desire a hot summer! Ideally they would like temperatures to just be somewhere in the middle lmao, which in hindsight I think we all do smile.png

Well I am nearly 69, so some may consider me as elderly but my ideal temperatures in the summer are 25 to 30 C and on cold calm sunshine days in winter -5C; when it is cold like that it is surprising how warm it can actually feel - a lot more so than a cold drizzly wind at 3C.

I enjoyed the snow we had in Southern France at the beginning of March 2010 - it was two days of snowfall, a bit wet to start with but as it cooled it became powdery. Then that was followed by sunshine with clear blue skies and dry air, so that the snow gradually over the next days or so.

The dryness meant that the roads quickly became dry and clear despite no salt being used.

I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera with me on one of the days we talk a drive out - it really did look like a Christmas Card scene.