Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted

well, it is your right to disagree but i think you may have missed the point. the general public always blame the forecasters for getting it wrong. however, this is a weather forum and we are members because we have an interest in the weather and how and why it happens.

i would have thought that due to the wealth of information and experience available on the forum, some members would be a little better informed than your average joe. my comment was aimed mainly at those who seem to think that the forecast was wrong, rather than look at the circumstances as to how the forecast was formed.

there is no problem with being disappointed as to how the weather turns out, but some then go on to blame the forecasters.

sometimes they do get it wrong but in this case, as with many situations, it was difficult to call, therefore in the interests of public safety, they erred on the side of caution

I accept it is a very difficult balancing act, but I think you have kinda missed the point too. In my opinion the official forecast data supplied by those charged to do so was perfectly acceptable. The MO are rarely one's to get over exited and I think their general Yellow with local Amber was pretty much spot on. What most people are on about when they refer to the overplaying, overhyping (call it what you will) was the general hysteria across much of the written media and even some of the broadcast media, which did an excellent job in making the less well informed feel this was a nationwide severe storm - as opposed to what was essentially a regional event. Again I accept this happens 9 times out of 10 when severe weather is forecast, it is unfortunately pretty much par for this particular course, but that does not stop it being very frustrating.

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pfft Monday.

Tuesday is where it was at!

The winds weren't nearly as strong on Tuesday, 50mph gusts maybe slightly higher. I was just comparing the two videos, the video on Monday shows much stronger wind speeds and gusts.

Posted

Good video Adi, it doesn't look as though it would take too much to breach that sea wall though, or is it misleading ? Oh and thanks for the technical info about the boom arm etc. I have never heard of rain ex, that sounds very useful for weather photography, any idea where I can get it from please ?

The sea wall there is only to protect the beach from washing away behind the wall there are some beach huts a huge gravel carpark and a golf course so no big deal if the sea breaches it. Waves often break over it. It was not exactly a stormy day during the winter you can often see waves breaking over the top of the unprotected beach.

RainX is for car windscreens and is great when driving in heavy rain.

lol, halfords! its for car windscreens but i suppose it could be useful for a camera lens good.gif

I would not add RainX directly to a camera lens, Camera lenses have some very special and delicate coatings added to them you are best trying not to damage them. because the GoPro is inside a waterproof housing I use the RainX on the housing only.