IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Winds quickly picking up here now.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Pretty calm here atm in N Ireland - sustained light wind with the odd moderate gust. Highest i've recorded is a gust of 19.2mph though to be fair my wind thingy isnt ideally situated so probs a bit higher than that but not by much i'd reckon.

Pressure 973 & steady for now.

Edit - wind picking up a wee bit now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Very disappointing here! Gust wise nothing above 10-15mph. Its actually calmer than yesterday...Think we may have missed out on this one mad.gif

Posted

Spray starting to lift off the lake in front of my house!! This usually only happens when I estimate winds to be over 80mph!!unsure.png Really wild out there now!! Think I might venture out to experience it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
It's just wind, I've actually walked in that 1987 ex hurricane and people are concerned over this?

Yes and so are the professional forecasters believe it or not...

I have walked in the January 2005 storm when wind gusts reached in excess of 100mph in Cumbria.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

It's just wind, I've actually walked in that 1987 ex hurricane and people are concerned over this?

what do you mean...its just wind? wind can be dangerous and you know it! im not concerned down here but further up the country peeps could get really stormy conditions!

Posted

Very disappointing here! Gust wise nothing above 10-15mph. Its actually calmer than yesterday...Think we may have missed out on this one mad.gif

As has been said in many posts today, things haven't really got going yet! rolleyes.gif

I've actually walked in that 1987 ex hurricane and people are concerned over this?

Ah yes, that explains a lot.....crazy.gif

Posted

its roaring here in dover, on the south east coast.. so god knows what it will be like up north.. neil, I lived in littlestone-on-sea of the storm of 87, right on the sea front, you couldnt have walked out in that, at its peak at 2.00am..

Posted

UK Mountain Forecast

Snowdonia: Gusts will exceed 80 mph making walking extremely difficult and dangerous.

Brecon Beacons: Gusts will exceed 70mph over the highest summits leading to buffeting and difficulty walking.

Peak District: Frequent gusts 60 mph occasionally reaching 70 mph

Yorkshire Dales: Frequent gusts 60 mph, occasionally reaching 70 mph.

Lake District: Severe southwesterly gales above 200m with Storm Force winds above 500m. Severe buffeting.

East Highlands: Gusts approaching 100mph possible over ridges and summits later, mainly south of Cairngorm Plateau

West Highlands: Gusts approaching 100mph possible over ridges and summits, mainly south of Torridon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Blowing a steady force 4 to 5 here, however with the tide out currently it's likely to increase later on. I see Plymouth Roborough has had a gust of 41mph at 8am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just breezy here.

13mph gusts.

Will have to wait and see, but i think the major wind will be north or here..

Did someone mention that the storm is coming in later than expected?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

The trees are moving, so I am guessing that's a sign of things to come? The following in my local TAF EGKB 120802Z 1209/1218 22025G38KT

25knots Gusting to 38 (43mph) knots so a decent 50mph gust for South East London.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Still relatively benign here, no different to what we usually get every week. It may strengthen a little later.

currently gusts of 17.5mph, mean windspeed 7mph.

Posted

In fact looking at XC Weather's live windspeed map, Wales seems to be getting the battering currently, with Scotland relatively quiet so far:

post-6667-0-90321100-1315816453.jpg

post-6667-0-90321100-1315816453_thumb.jp

Posted

All a bit confusing as I scramble to get information. In the last hour the highest gust recorded in Ireland was 67.89 mph in Sligo, NW Coast and pressure was 985. So far not breaking any records where I am more a gale than a storm and although gusty at times not squally by any means. Lets see what happens as the day moves on and I get a chance to look at the data..

Posted

The trees are moving, so I am guessing that's a sign of things to come? The following in my local TAF EGKB 120802Z 1209/1218 22025G38KT

25knots Gusting to 38 (43mph) knots so a decent 50mph gust for South East London.

good.gif its really getting gusty here! it wouldn't surprise me that that gust a few mins ago was between 35-40 mph :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Gusts have really started rattling through now, not gale forced but bigger trees are starting to sway wildly now...

Posted

Still relatively benign here, no different to what we usually get every week. It may strengthen a little later.

currently gusts of 17.5mph, mean windspeed 7mph.

Gusts up to 50mph at Crosby and Liverpool Airport, with Force 7 sustained winds. Nothing exceptional but a big difference!

Must be the swing towards southwesterlies, from which you're particularly sheltered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Well maybe it won't be as bad but it still has potential to cause damage ...

post-10773-0-24321300-1315816562_thumb.j

...you couldn't have walked out where I was in '87 the roof tiles from my neighbours house were flying round and smashing on the road and there was bits of trees everywhere !!

Posted

Gusts have really started rattling through now, not gale forced but bigger trees are starting to sway wildly now...

Not as bad here in Durham - some hefty gusts - only 20mph on my anemometer, but due to its lack of height it usually underreads strong wind by about 10-15mph. Still, nothing too bad so far - expecting it to be worse later, though hoping we are shielded enough here (although we are sort of on the top of a hill (GIlesgate Moor).