Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm pretty sure the stuff over North Wales and southern parts of Northern England is at its peak now (or within the next 2 hours), the stronger winds later in the day will be reserved for Northern Ireland and Scotland.. that said it will be still pretty windy in North Wales and southern part of Northern England, but I would suggest, looking at how the situation is expected to evolve, winds are broadly as strong as they will get for these areas.

From now on it's true Northern England, Northern Ireland and southern Scotland which will see the big winds.

Well that's how it appears to play out on the models anyway..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

My poor plastic greenhouse has flown across the gardenhelp.gif All my plants in pots have blown over and scattered around the garden.Very strong wind gusts here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

so southwest has reached the peak for gusts for today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I don't think my area has received it's peak wind gusts when the Met Office and local forecasts are saying it's only going to get stronger as the day progresses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Gusts are getting stronger here, I wonder of it's because Benwell is built at the top of a hill in the West End and is facing westwards....

Posted

Windspeed for the M6 buoy, station 62095 off the West Coast of Ireland:

post-6667-0-25409000-1315818223.jpg

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=62095

post-6667-0-25409000-1315818223_thumb.jp

Posted

Gusts are getting stronger here, I wonder of it's because Benwell at the top of a hill in the West End and is facing westwards....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I don't think my area has received it's peak wind gusts when the Met Office and local forecasts are saying it's only going to get stronger as the day progresses.

Yes your area will continue to have strengthening winds well into the afternoon, especially with the influence of the Hills to the west, it'll be an interesting day.

Posted

i disagree,peak time for here between 1pm and 5pm.

You disagree with what Peter?

Posted

i disagree,peak time for here between 1pm and 5pm.

Disagree with what Peter, I said your gusts would get stronger in Northern England good.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

I take it Glasgow is not expected to join in the fun till late afternoon right with the strongest winds to peak later this evening am i reading things correct ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes your area will continue to have strengthening winds well into the afternoon, especially with the influence of the Hills to the west, it'll be an interesting day.

Ah right. I was a bit confused for a moment there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

FINALLY its starting to get a bit gustier here in Notts. YAY!!!!!!!! clapping.gif

Posted

i'm just disagreeing with myself lol

rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well opposite my house a branch has fallen off the tree,so it goes to show that these winds can be very dangerous even at a pretty low gusts,stay safe up north guys.

Posted

Ah right. I was a bit confused for a moment there!

Sorry about the confusion, I meant North Wales, and Southern part of Northern England (Blackpool southwards) on the lowest ground on the western side of the pennines. Of course it may have peaked or be peaking in the next few hours here, but North Wales have had some exceptional winds.

Definitely calmed down even further here too, generally winds are currently around 3-5mph, with very little gusting, at times it's completely calm.

If I had a car I would drive somewhere where there are wind (stupidly), but I don't have that luxury unfortunately!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sorry about the confusion, I meant North Wales, and Southern part of Northern England (Blackpool southwards) on the lowest ground on the western side of the pennines. Of course it may have peaked or be peaking in the next few hours here, but North Wales have had some exceptional winds.

Definitely calmed down even further here too, generally winds are currently around 3-5mph, with very little gusting, at times it's completely calm.

If I had a car I would drive somewhere where there are wind (stupidly), but I don't have that luxury unfortunately!

You wouldn't have to drive far...very windy across North Wales right now....branches coming down from the trees around me.

Posted

Tailend of Hurricane Katia winds reach Northern Ireland

_55304325_coast.jpg

Coastal areas can expect to be hit by gale force winds

Northern Ireland is set to be battered with extreme weather conditions as the tailend of Hurricane Katia sweeps across the Atlantic. The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning for most of the UK. nThe forecasters' amber warning advises people in Northern Ireland and Scotland that in exposed areas winds could reach up to 75 mph. A number of ferry crossings between Belfast and Scotland have already been cancelled due to the weather.

People have been asked to be wary of falling branches and trees and other potential debris caused by the extremely strong winds over the next 24 hours. Exposed areas of Londonderry, Antrim and Tyrone are likely to be hit with severe gales from midday on Monday. The Met Office said: "The remains of Hurricane Katia are expected to come across the UK on Monday bringing a spell of very windy weather. "There remains some uncertainty about its track and intensity, though with increasing indications that Scotland and Northern Ireland are most likely to bear the brunt the warning has been upgraded to amber here.

"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport and of the possibility of damage to trees and structures." The 0730 BST Stenaline sailing from Belfast was cancelled and the company has asked anyone planning to travel on Monday to check before going to the port. Stenaline has apologised to customers for any inconvenience caused. All P&O Fastcraft sailings from Northern Ireland have also been cancelled on Monday. Passengers will instead be able to travel on the conventional Larne to Cairnryan ferry. And the PSNI have also advised motorists to drive with extra care because of the difficult weather conditions.

Posted

These http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations observations. They are every 30 mins. I take it this has to be the average at the time (rolling hourly average) I say this as looking at other sites for these weather stations the Gust wind is recorded higher. CAn anyone confirm?

So lot of 40 mph average wind there if I am correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
BBC NewsNorth Wales has seen the strongest winds - up to 80 mph (128km).In the south, part of a roof has blown off a house in Merthyr Tydfil, closing the A4054 Cardiff Road.Meanwhile, the Severn Bridge is closed to high-sided vehicles along with the A477 Cleddau Bridge, Pembroke Dock, and the A55 Britannia Bridge at Anglesey.At the Port of Holyhead, the 10:00 BST Stena ferry to Dunlaoghaire has been cancelled due to adverse weather with delayed passengers being placed on the 13:50 BST departure to Dublin.So far, there are no reports of changes to the next ferry to leave Fishguard at 14:30 BST.Elsewhere, several roads have been blocked by fallen trees at Anglesey, Blaenau Gwent, Conwy, Gwynedd, Neath Port Talbot and Rhondda Cynon Taf.