Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Put Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Don't be daft its still September, and a mild one at that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I could spend all day in the shower. blum.gif

I dread to think what you would look like when you emerge after that length of time smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I live in a 16th century farmhouse with seriously thick walls and the joys of single-glazed stone mullion windows. Damp's more of a problem than cold so the logburner's been on for a few weeks and we turned the Aga back on at the weekend - roasting now !!

I'd rather put another layer on than switch the entire heating system on yet Though !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't be daft its still September, and a mild one at that!

Yes, no and yes! Yes it's still September, no it isn't mild and yes it's been on most evenings this month! I cannot remember another summer when the heating didn't go off until mid June and on again at the beginning of September. Scotland (east) hasn't managed to achieve or sustain any heat this year. Certainly memorable - for all the wrong reasons!!

Posted

No! It's only September after all...always think I will hold out until November but it is usually the start of October. Our house is about 200 years old and drafty cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yer great soft southern poofs. Thermostat at 20C? Oooh it's getting nippy is it?

blum.gif

You tell 'em HC!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I have a victorian manor house which is really spacious and in the middle of practically nothing in the middle of County Durham - that regularly falls to 10C in winter, even lower last winter, when we had 45cm of snow in early December over there.

Here, I have a well insulated, newer property - central heating will go on and off when we think it should be. We might have it off in early January and on in late July, all depending on the circumstances them days - but usually we'll just put an extra layer on. Currently 11C outside and a milder 22C indoors.

Edit: not personally me who owns the property of course! Woops haha!

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Not yet - its still september after all, I have considered a jumper on a couple of evenings though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I dread to think what you would look like when you emerge after that length of time smile.png

I'll keep it a secret then :)

I have a victorian manor house which is really spacious and in the middle of practically nothing in the middle of County Durham - that regularly falls to 10C in winter, even lower last winter, when we had 45cm of snow in early December over there.

Here, I have a well insulated, newer property - central heating will go on and off when we think it should be. We might have it off in early January and on in late July, all depending on the circumstances them days - but usually we'll just put an extra layer on. Currently 11C outside and a milder 22C indoors.

Edit: not personally me who owns the property of course! Woops haha!

10?C Is that all!? tease.gif

No, I refuse to put the heating on until the big six (eon/british gas/npower et al) cut their prices and stop lining their filthy foreign pockets with our hard earned money, I'd rather freeze to death than allow them to fleece me any more!.....end of rant!

Shrouds don't have pockets

Maybe I am getting old or living proof that man orignated from the tropics but I need a temperature of about 25C to be comfortable, so yes we have had the heating on a few times - in fact this year more than what I can ever remember - or is the age affecting my memory as well.

Posted

In our house (what with me wearing the trousers) The thermostat is either on or off... If its cold, I wack it on to 21c, otherwise, it stays off. (Grrrrr!)

Although I have to admit to putting the heating on a couple of mornings the past couple of weeks. If I am cold, the heating goes on - I dont really care what day or month of the year it is - I'm paying way over the odds for it anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No, not yet.

Like my dad will allow the heating to be switched on in Autumn. Don't be silly. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nope, still have the windows open all night, I love this time of year when you can get fresh air in the house of a night!

And all the giant house spiders that are knocking about! urghhh

These people talking about 10C etc inside the house.....why would you put yourself through that?? It can't be comfortable- sitting around in that sort of temperature encourages damp and really isn't good for your health. 18-23C is ideal room temperature, lower than that and even with jumpers and such on you can still feel the discomfort of the air around you when watching TV at night etc. Some people on here seem to see it as being defeated if you have to have the heating on before a certain date!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Soft southerners!

I was actually too hot last night with the window open and i sleep without clothes.

I discovered last winter that it needs to be below -5C for me to require socks and underwear at night.

As for the day i will wear t-shirts until November and a t-shirt, jumper and coat combination during January and February (assuming average/cold).

In summary, no need unless it gets below about -10C.

Posted

Soft southerners!

I was actually too hot last night with the window open and i sleep without clothes.

I discovered last winter that it needs to be below -5C for me to require socks and underwear at night.

As for the day i will wear t-shirts until November and a t-shirt, jumper and coat combination during January and February (assuming average/cold).

In summary, no need unless it gets below about -10C.

I always feel too warm at night and usually end up sleeping outside the covers, especially if the heating is on.

I never sleep with socks on either, that's just weird!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I always feel too warm at night and usually end up sleeping outside the covers, especially if the heating is on.

I never sleep with socks on either, that's just weird!

I don't know why anyone would want to sleep with socks on, it's so uncomfy! Taking your socks off before you get into bed is so liberating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Heating should never be on overnight. It isn't good for you at all. Our timer is set to turn off at 10pm and on again at 6am. As for the heating, it comes on if it's cold enough.

Posted

Heating should never be on overnight. It isn't good for you at all. Our timer is set to turn off at 10pm and on again at 6am. As for the heating, it comes on if it's cold enough.

Our heating is usually turned off at night, but even after it's turned off it can still feel too warm for me.

It also turns itself on occasionally if it deems it cold enough.

I don't know why anyone would want to sleep with socks on, it's so uncomfy! Taking your socks off before you get into bed is so liberating!

I know. My feet feel really uncomfortable with socks on in bed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The thermostat at Chateau Terminal is permanently set at 16c in the morning and 18c in the evening and has occasionally briefly roused from its slumber in every month since dozing off around mid-June.

In winter, despite being a brand new all singing, all dancing condensing boiler, and the house having triple glazing and a new roof,it's as much as it can do to keep the house at 18c when the gales sweep across the moors.

Edited by Terminal Moraine