Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Put Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

No way!

Its been so warm especially at night since August you need AC much more than Heating, usually you can get ground frosts with temps of around 3C by now even in towns but most nights temps are double figures even around 15C in September, incredible prolonged warm spell at night havent known anything like it, starting to believe global warming is real after having doubts.

Not much rain either.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I believe in AGW - but how can you start believing in GW after a milder spell in far NW Europe - bizarre.

Thermostat firmly low and ch is off - electricity bills have been notably low recently here - an Arctic northerly would change that, I'd chip in 20 quid if it did though, because after this 'heatwave' - I'm going to crave the cold!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The heating is definitely on today I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The heating system and radiators haven't been used in our house since March this year but it probably will be turned on sometime this month. End of October is when we usually put it on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Heaven help the rest of England if you ever need air conditioning in Buxton, or where I live for that matter.

Even in July 2006 the house was comfortably cool thanks to 2 foot thick stone walls and a gentle through flow of air.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yes, smile.png turned on the GCH in our new home this evening for the first time after having storage heaters in our other place for two years, this feels like luxury lol. I do suffer from coldness a lot but I aim to keep the heating to a minimum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah we don't ever need any cooling in this place - the thick walls and painted white outside walls do that! Even on the hottest days 24c is a maximum in the living room - even lower if windows are shut to keep the warm out.

Of course now we need the gas fire on (lowest setting) to warm the place just a little. The high winds make it worse here - even worse in easterlies as we're more exposed that way. A cold Ely literally strips the place bare of warmth.

Posted

No heating here yet. It's still 22C indoors so got a way to go before it hits the thermostat.

I may shut the window if it stays cool for a few more days though. biggrin.png

PS. Whoever really needs AC in England unless there is a serious heatwave like Jul 06 must be very unfit or overweight or something. I could understand AC being used in the 100+ degree Texas or Florida July temps but England, get a grip.
Nobody in England needs air conditioning unless they are perhaps working in a stuffy office block in London on the one 90°F day of the year....

Well...that's your opinion. However, not all of us are heat lovers and an indoor temperature of 28C (common for me in the warm spells) can be unbearable. AC is very important for some people.

Posted

You know, at the moment I'm tempted to turn it on for the first time since spring, though a thick woolly jumper is currently sufficing.

The funny thing is, just a few days ago I was struggling to sleep due to the heat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

No heating here yet. It's still 22C indoors so got a way to go before it hits the thermostat.

Well...that's your opinion. However, not all of us are heat lovers and an indoor temperature of 28C (common for me in the warm spells) can be unbearable. AC is very important for some people.

I agree with this quite a lot.

Just last week I was considering cooling the room down because of how unseasonably high the temperatures were.

On Saturday for instance the temperature in my room reached 29C which is way too hot for me personally. Especially indoors where there is no cooling effect from the wind.

Posted

Heat is not frequent or prolonged enough to require AC in Britain like central heating is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Nobody in England needs air conditioning unless they are perhaps working in a stuffy office block in London on the one 90°F day of the year....

i dont agree i have AC which i use here in the summer..however i find the heat in England to be much more humid..therefore it feels a lot hotter than it actually is..especailly in the south east..when i move back home i will install an AC unit for the summer time..i guess its a case of you dont miss what you have never had. Btw no heating on as yet.

Posted

Given that 2 days ago i was still sleeping in the back bedroom to stay cool, with the fan on , it seems bizarre to talk about switching the heating on.

I live in a well insulated flat which faces south. The heating won't be on until probably mid November, in all honesty.

22.5 degrees in the flat at the mo, having peaked at 25 on Sunday evening. Heating is only really required here about 4 months of the year in balmy London .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I'll be turning the heating on soon enough I reckon. I haven't had it on for months. Extra jumper and a blanket are doing the job for now though- I save my oil for when the cold really kicks in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The difference of opinion all depends on what kind of place you live in.

If its a modern compact home that gets lots of sun you're probably still boiling in there, but if its a solid stone Victorian or pre-Victorian house shaded but exposed to wind you probably only felt warm briefly last week before switching up the heating Tuesday onwards.

My last place (small mid terrace with plenty of sun on it) didn't really get cold and was 25-30c+ in hot weather. Now I live in a detached poorly insulated place getting very little sun it's a struggle to make it feel warm. Sadly we had lots of hot/at least decent summers & mild winters while we lived in the old place but cold winters & naff summers in this place making the difference even more pronounced!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Just put the heating on over the last 2day's and just think last week i bet most of us were using fans because of the heat. Only time i been under an a.c is when i'm in the studio editing or recording. Can't waight for winter proper.

Posted

Still have my windows open, its nice and cool and very plesent, Im going to try and go though winter with out putting heating on, i like the cold and cant stand hot weather so yeah now i live on my own, i dont see the point in heating, if your cold you can just put some cloths on lol

Posted

Modern houses with insulation and a proper damp-proof course you can hold out longer.

Here it's an 1800 stone farmhouse and the downstairs rooms start to feel damp if you don't have a bit of heat most days by about now.

Once the mass of stone gets really cold and damp it takes a lot of energy to warm and dry it out again.

We have a good size wood stove runs 6 radiators and that needs help from a couple of small electric heaters when it's very cold or at the inbetween times where you don't want it going full blast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

The difference of opinion all depends on what kind of place you live in.

If its a modern compact home that gets lots of sun you're probably still boiling in there, but if its a solid stone Victorian or pre-Victorian house shaded but exposed to wind you probably only felt warm briefly last week before switching up the heating Tuesday onwards.

My last place (small mid terrace with plenty of sun on it) didn't really get cold and was 25-30c+ in hot weather. Now I live in a detached poorly insulated place getting very little sun it's a struggle to make it feel warm. Sadly we had lots of hot/at least decent summers & mild winters while we lived in the old place but cold winters & naff summers in this place making the difference even more pronounced!

Yep our house is a mid 1900 terrace. Quiet damp and draughty without heating from Autumn onwards. We have double glazing but we have a big old front door that lets draughts in and we have brick vents that let the draughts in and huge voids under the floors downstairs. Only upside is that in summer the house is lovely and cool.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

My house was built before WW2, it has double glazing but that's it. When the wind blows some serious drafts occur.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I must confess, the other half put the heating on for the first time since March this morning.....fair does, it was flippin' freezing this morning!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nope still not on. However the forecast is for a chilly day tomorrow a good few degrees down from this morning forecast so it may have to come on.

Posted

Central heating not on yet ....but I might throw a few logs in the woodburner to bring a warm glow to the lounge this evening.

Does that count?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I put the aircon on in the living room for 20min this morning to take the temp from 15C to 18C but It should maintain 16C for the whole day now with it off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Mine is on now as it felt really cold when i got up. We moved over the summer and the new house has double glazing, which is making a huge difference for us, in the old house the heating would have well been on before now.